HNL to CHS or CLT on 12/22/14

katelynhodge
By katelynhodge,
in

Hi all. My husband and I are stationed in Hawaii, and are trying to go home to either Charleston or Charlotte (we have family in both and will end up in either no matter the airport destination). I've looked at the regular flight prices. For a flight departing on 12/22 and returning on 1/2, it looks like the cheapest is around $960 to arrive in Charlotte and $920 to Charleston. I see that the selling point for the Name Your Own Price tool is to "save up to 40%". With that logic, should I start my bid at roughly 60% original cost (once we factor in hotel fees in different cities and rental cars/gas, that's really quite around where our budget will be)? I realize that not only is my time frame the Christmas holiday, but it's also the big tourist season for us here in Hawaii. Any and all suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks ahead of time!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

As you point out your travel dates are over a seasonally very busy time period, and with fewer and fewer empty seats on most flights these days (the airlines have cut capacity over the last few years) i suspect that there is little reason for airlines to discount these tickets too deeply (and 40% savings is seen from time-to-time, but the savings on airfare, given the capacity constraints just referenced, are not typically that much... especially during peak travel times)

Given current rates how much would you be willing to pay per ticket for this flight to make an opaque purchase worthwhile?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

.... departing on 12/22 and returning on 1/2...

I know it is the holidays and you are trying to maximize time with family and friends, but you might consider flights right on the holidays.  Actually fly on Chrismas Eve or even Christmas day, and/or New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.  There can be an interesting rate dip on those days.  Besides, sometimes the flight crews who are stuck working decide to make the best of it and the flights can actually be fun.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]