Priceline Hotel: 4* Hotel in Chelsea area or may be SOHO

smandepudi
By smandepudi,
in

Hi There, i am looking for a 4* hotel in NYC for dates Nov 6 - Nov 9 for two people for three nights. my only criteria is that we have to stay in a hotel which is accessible to subway. i am looking at Chelsea or Soho areas. how much should i bid and what kind of hotels would i be getting. ANY help is appreciated

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To begin, please start by reading your messages.

Then, please clarify your criteria for this stay... did you want to only bid the Chelsea and/or Soho zones OR is your goal the least expensive 4* hotel that is accessible to the subway? Also, what do you consider to be 'close enough' to be considered accessible... up to a 10 minute walk, 15 minute walk, etc?

What is your expected budget per nite for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the info above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When using PRICELINE you can't bid on a hotel within a specific location within the zone, you have to be able to accepta hotel anywhere in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose. As there are locations within the Chelsea zone that are more than 2 blocks from a subway station, you'll need to either be more flexible in how far from a subway station you ultimately end up OR pay 'full retail' for a hotel and choose the exact location you want (try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com where you can zoom in on the map and see hotels near any subway station and easily evaluate how much more/less it would cost to go up/down in star rating or to stay closer/further from that subway station)

With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. HOWEVER, with both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE, at current rates for your dates i think you're more likely looking at the $200 area (rather than the $150 area) for a 4* hotel in the Chelsea zone.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to assist further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok i understand. so i am firm on the Chelsea area. if i bid for a 4* Hotel for $200 a night. do you think i have better chances? what kind of hotels i might win?

also i saw on HotWire there is a hotel in Chelsea area for $234 a night and it says the standard price for this is $323.its a fan favorite with 90% recommend rate. overall satisfaction 4 1/2

amenities are free internet, pet frioendly, boutique, fitness center, restaurant biz center and self service laundry. what would this hotel be ?also do you think i will get better options if i bid in priceline for $200 a night than taking this one. please let me know

As far as what you might get when bidding on PRICELINE, you can see all the hotels previously reported to the board in the Priceline Hotel List (but note the comments at the top of the hotel list regarding the hotel lists never being able to be considered complete)

$200/nite puts you in the right ballpark, although i think it may ultimately take a little more (somewhere in the $210-$230/nite range)

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for the 4 star hotel in this zone when searching for your dates:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Boutique

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... if this is what you're seeing my best guess for this one would be the Hotel Indigo Chelsea.

Do you want to take this HOTWIRE offer OR try bidding on PRICELINE? If the latter, how high of a maximum bid should we use?

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* Chelsea...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea and re-bid zone2...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $205

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try (once again using this [url=http://www.betterbidding.com/clicks/click.php?afsrc=1&id=40]PRICELINE[/url] link for your bidding and NOT the links in any emails that PRICELINE may send letting you know your eligible to bid again):

Select 4* Chelsea...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $225

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi There,

Sorry for too many questions. I have never bid before and i am totally new to this new process. I am not sure what you mean by re bid zone 1 and re bid Zone 2(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc). form what i have found on the website is Harlem doesn't have any 4 * hotels but i am worried the ratings might change so they might add a hotel with that rating. I am not sure

so should i do the following

Select 4* Chelsea...
Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone1(Harlem).
Select 4* Chelsea and re-bid zone2...(????) what should i add here
Bid $205

I was thinking if my bid gets rejected for 4* chelsea then why would it be accepted if i add Harlem since there are no 4* hotels there anyways instead why cant i just wait for 24 hrs and do the same bid again

can i just bid for $200 for 4* Chelsea and if the bid gets rejected then just dont do anything. wait 24 hours and do the same thing again.

Since the current (and any future) bidding strategy will involve re-bid zones, let's try to get you up to speed on re-bidding since it's probably one of the most useful techniques to use to help get the best deal.

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter your city and dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Ok I believe i got what you meant. here are my findings.does this seem legitimate

Zone                  Highest Star Rating
Timesquare 5
Midtown West 4
Midtown East 5
Chelsea 4
Chinatown 3
Downtown walstreet 5
EastVillage – Lowes east side 5
Grand Central – Empire State Building 5
Harlem 3
Soho - Tribeca 5
Union Square – FlatIIron 4
Upper East Side 5
Upper West Side 5
Washington Heights 4
West Village – Greenwich Village 4
Bronx 2
Brooklyn 4
Kennedy Airport 3
La Gaurdia 3
Long island City 3

Not exactly... it's actually easier than you're making it. :)

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter your city and dates, and click "GO".

You're using the 'retail' side of PRICELINE to determine the star ratings within each zone, but the 'bidding' side of PRICELINE uses different zone names (and boundaries).

As per above, use the search box on the top right corner of the board to start your search. If you select only the first zone in the list, then scroll down the page a little and look at the star ratings... do you see how some are available to be selected and some are greyed out?

Sorry all the links you gave are redirecting to the same page...

You should be using the SEARCH BOX on the top right corner of this page.

You should be seeing the following zones with a checkbox next to each:

Brooklyn

Central Park South

Chelsea Area

Coney Island

Downtown - Financial District

Empire State Building Area

Hell's Kitchen

Long Island City

Lower East Side

Madison Square Garden - Convention

Midtown East

Midtown West

Morningside Heights - Harlem

Queensborough Bridge

SoHo - Tribeca

Times Square - Theatre District

Union Square - East Village

Upper East Side

Upper West Side

If you're still having an issue, what if you do your search at BiddingHelper.com? The default page after your search should have the zones above.

Are we on the same page now? (both literally and figuratively :) )

ok using Bidding helper i see what you are seeing. here are my findings. now how should i proceed

Brooklyn   4
Central Park South 5
Chelsea Area 4 1/2
Coney Island 
Downtown - Financial District 5
Empire State Building Area 5
Hell's Kitchen - 4
Long Island City - 4
Lower East Side - 4
Madison Square Garden – Convention - 4
Midtown East - 5
Midtown West – 4 1/2
Morningside Heights – Harlem  3 1/2
Queensborough Bridge - 3
SoHo – Tribeca - 5
Times Square - Theatre District - 5
Union Square - East Village = 4
Upper East Side - 5
Upper West Side - 4

Using your findings above, are you able to identify your TWO re-bid zones?

For example, if you were to bid for a 4* hotel and included Chelsea and Morningside Heights–Harlem as your acceptable zones, do you see how if you successful that the hotel would have to be in the Chelsea zone? (since the highest star rating offered in the Morningside Heights–Harlem is 3.5*?)

Correct.

So first thing you should do just before bidding is confirm that these are still valid re-bid zones. (you can simply select both of them and then look to see that nothing at the 4* or above levels is 'clickable'... then UNcheck each zone so you can start bidding with a clean slate)

You can assign:

re-bid zone1 = Morningside Heights – Harlem

re-bid zone2 = Queensborough Bridge

Then you can simply substitute each of these zones in the bidding strategy previously posted above:

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* Chelsea...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $205

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try (once again using this PRICELINE link for your bidding and NOT the links in any emails that PRICELINE may send letting you know your eligible to bid again):

Select 4* Chelsea...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $225

Does that make it clearer? (if not feel free to ask any additional questions)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]