LAS - Las Vegas - Looking for help for bid

kamio
By kamio,
in

I will be in Las Vegas from 12-3-2014 to 12-10-2014.  I usually go the second week of November and know how to bid to get both the company (Hertz) and size (Economy) I want.

The last time around I bid on a Economy car and got Hertz but due to issues with the economy cars at the rental center, I was upgraded to a different size car.

Long but intersting story made short: As I was leaving the car rental center, I rolled the window down to give the ticket to the attendant and the window wouldn't go back up. Took back that car and the second car they gave me the transmission was wack. The gears were sliding all over the place. Fortunatly, the attendant at the lot was able to convince management to give me an upgrade for my troubles.

Back to the point:  The upgrade was a Nissan Altima.  We really enjoyed the size of that vehicle and would like to try and get both the company and model this time around.

1) What type of car is the Nissan Altima for Hertz?  Is it intermediate, mid size, full size? It looks like Hertz doesn't have Mid Size, so I am thinking its Intermediate or Full Size. I've tried searching the web and couldn't find any information on this.  Edit:  I found out on another travel website, that it's considered Full Size.  I could provide that site upon request.

2) What should I bid for this size?  For economy, I usually start at like $10 a day, and the last few times I was able to get it for $12-$13... I figured, I'd start at $12 and try and get the bigger size for like $15 a day.  How are rental cars for the first week of December?  I do know that December is a slow time for Vegas, because I got a killer deal on a condo that week and the owner told me that December is a slow time for Vegas.

Edit: new question...

3) Now I am wondering if I really need a Full Size, or would a Intermediate work for me.  According to this other site, intermediate cars consist of  Dart, Elantra, Civic, Sentra, Versa, Corolla, etc. which are all decent size cars, but that other site suggests that you could get a 2-door car, which I wouldn't prefer. Any thoughts or experience with renting this class from Vegas?  What are typical bids for Intermediates for this time period?

As always, when I do go to bid, I will use the links provided by the site.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Many car companies you different names for each car class so if you're looking to know what Hertz considers a Nissan Altima to be the only place i would recommend looking would be the Hertz website (or you could use our Car Rental Rate Checker tool, click the Expe.dia tab and under Hertz click each car class to see what cars they consider to be within that clss (you may need to click the NEXT button on the top right of Expe.dia tab in order to see the Hertz column)... this will also let you easily compare rates for your dates.

In regards to your upcoming trip, there is no way to guarantee a specific rental company... are you only looking to rent from Hertz or are you willing to accept other car rental companies? Have you decided if you want to try to target a Full Size or an Intermediate vehicle?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry for the late reply...

As for rental company, any of the big names ( the main 5 that priceline uses) is fine with me.

I've had problems with Budget in Vegas a couple of times before so I'd prefer not using Budget, but its not the end of the world if I did get them.

I wouldn't mind getting intermediate, I just don't want a 2 door option. Do you have an idea of what the historical price is for both options (intermediate vs. Full size). Then I can make an informed decision. If is not too big of a price difference, I'd probably try full size, else go intermediate. Any way to insure, I don't get a 2 door option, e.g. talking with the agent when I get there.. could convince them to give me a 4 door car as long as it was in class?

Thanks again for all your help!

Have you looked at other bidder's reported results in this area?  To save a lot of scrolling, you can do a Search on "las" in the white box up above (right hand side).  That might help answer some of your concerns.

You can get a general idea of the price/size differences by looking on the retail (direct purchase) area of Priceline.  When bidding, the differences might be a little bit less, since all the numbers are lower.

I can't shed any light on the 2/4 door issue.

Romelle

I wouldn't mind getting intermediate...

Price.line doesn't user 'intermediate' in their car class system when bidding. If you use our Car Rental Rate Checker tool and click the PRICELINE BIDDING tab, you'll see the following options:

Economy

Compact

Mid-Size

Standard

Full-Size

Premium

Luxury

Convertible

etc, etc.

Which two car classes, by PRICELINE name, is it that you're referring to?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Romelle: I checked the past history and I didn't see anything that covered those dates exactly.

Thereuare: I believe its considered mid-size. So, I guess I am trying to see what would be a good rate to bid for either mid-size or full-size, and the respective price difference between the two for my time period.

Thanks again!

... I guess I am trying to see what would be a good rate to bid for either mid-size or full-size, and the respective price difference between the two for my time period.

Note that there is also a 'standard' car class that is offered between these two.

Using the 'Priceline Retail' tab at Car Rental Rate Checker Budget is offering cars in this class for $22/day (all three have the same rate, so likely little price difference between each class when bidding on PRICELINE), which is about half the rate of a few of the other companies. These offer free cancellation (confirm during the check-out process) and i would book this now to protect yourself from rates going up. Then you can start to bid on PRICELINE starting in the $14 area and gradually increase your bid price by $1-$2 each day for the next week (up until whatever amount you feel is worthwhile to lock-in the lower price now vs. the $22/day you have booked as a back-up)

Please use the links within our Car Rental Rate Checker (or our Support Page link to Budget should you decide for some reason to book direct)

Does the plan above work for your needs?

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you all for your help and follow up with an update to my situation.

I tried Price.line a couple more times (using the links through this site of course) of times to try and get the car.

I eventually offered tried $22 a day, figuring I'd at least lock Budget and still was denied.  At that point I gave up trying Priceline.

Thanks again for all the help!

I eventually offered tried $22 a day, figuring I'd at least lock Budget and still was denied.

As the $22/day is still offered (thru PRICELINE 'retail') when using our Car Rental Rate Checker why not book that as a back-up while you continue bidding on PRICELINE in the weeks ahead?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]