Priceline Hotel: London

Mr&MrsSmith1
By Mr&MrsSmith1,
in

I am using the links to try and book a hotel in

London 9/19 for 2 nights and came up with these options, any guess on which hotel?

Hotwire

3.5 star 143  free breakfast, smokefree, business center internet  (Kensington)

4 star 169 fitness center, restaurant, business center, internet (Kensington)

4 star 160 internet, pet friendly, indoor pool, smoke free, fitness center, pool restaurant (Notting Hill)

and

Priceline express deal

4 star 155 restaurant, fitness, internet (Kensington)

4 star 159, business center, shuttle, restaurant, firness center, internet (Noting Hill

is there a better option in location, convenience to underground or sites?  The one thing we really want is a private restroom and bed for two.

Once we get this then I can start looking Amsterdam so input there is welcome too!

Please follow-up your previous Priceline NYC thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip, then reply to this topic and we will have a look at your London trip above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For each of the HOTWIRE properties I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

What is your maximum budget per nite for this trip?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your help. I have a couple questions if you don't mind

1) Is it better to start with bidding versus going direct express deals on priceline?

2) Are there differences or benefits/cons to using priceline versus hotwire or vice versa?

3) How can I ensure we have a bed for two and a bathroom ensuite? Will it automatically have that in category 4 and 5?

4) Which zones are best? I am looking at Kensington Earl's Court and/or City of Tower Bridge or London but am open to other options If better? we are coming in through the airport looking at major attractions for the weekend then off to the Eurostar/train based on our plans and would like to be near a walkable park or  attractions we can get to with the underground or hop on/off bus.  

Thank you again!

Here is what I have found so far just above my range... should I wait and they drop as date gets closer?  We are looking at 9/19 and 9/20 stay

Priceline Express

154 4 star Tower Bridge area

free internet, restaurant, business center, fitness center

155 night 4 star Kensinton - earls Queen

free internet, restaurant, fitness center

Hotwire

167 4 star city of London

pet friendly, smoke free room, fitness center, restaurant, internet access, accessible path of travel, in room accessibility

169 4 star Kensington

fitness center, restaurant. business center, internet access, accessible for the deaf, accessible path of travel, in room accessibility, accessible bathroom, handicapped parking, roll in shower

1) Is it better to start with bidding versus going direct express deals on priceline?

Depends upon your needs/goals. Bidding is usually (but not always) a little cheaper than the PRICELINE EXPRESS option, but PRICELINE EXPRESS let's you know a little about the hotel (in case any amenities are important to you for the stay), let's you take a guess as to the hotel offered, and/or let's you know a user review rating for the property. So it's a trade-off between the lowest price vs. paying a little more and knowing a bit more about the hotel.

2) Are there differences or benefits/cons to using priceline versus hotwire or vice versa?

Similar answer as PL Bidding vs. PRICELINE EXPRESS...

Bidding is usually the least expensive option, HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS are more similar in pricing. Hot.wire gives you a bit more information about the property offered, but HOTWIRE star ratings can also at times be a bit more generous than Price.line's.

3) How can I ensure we have a bed for two and a bathroom ensuite? Will it automatically have that in category 4 and 5?

All PRICELINE rooms are guaranteed for double occupancy... HOTWIRE rooms are guaranteed for the number of guests you include in your search. Both (on the 'opaque' side) offer private bathrooms (unless otherwise indicated)

4) Which zones are best?

The most popular zones are:

Mayfair - Soho

Westminster

Bloomsbury - Marble Arch

These are often used as convenient but at times more economical than those above:

Kensington -Earls Court

Chelsea - Knitghtsbridge

Here is what I have found so far just above my range...

There is no telling if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip... it all depends upon supply/demand and how expected new reservations/cancellations come in relative to expectations. See the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ for more info on this subject.

What is your budget for this trip? As all hotel requests are individually researched (and this can be a time consuming process) please only ask for hotels that are within your price range and that you're ready to commit to a purchase, since the hotels currently offered may not be the ones available should rates drop in price or once you're ready to commit to a purchase.

If you intend to wait for lower prices we have a new site RateDrop where you designate the star rating and zone (or the specific hotel) and will send you an alert any time rates for your specific dates drop in price.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

The Eurostar St. Pancras station is on a far edge of Bloomsbury - Marble Arch.  It might be an option to make for an easy departure.  

Regents Park - North London is adjacent to the station, and has the huge Regents Park plus some smaller ones.

The more zones you include, the more likely you'll find a lower price.   Any of the central core ones are well served by the Underground.

Romelle

Before I start bidding I check to see what Express Deals is offering for Kensington, Mayfair, Regent's park, Notting Hill, Westminster, City, Chelsea and Bloomsbury. Those zones are all very central and I'd be happy staying in any of those zones. Winning bids under NYOP tend to come in more than $5 cheaper tha PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals, sometimes more than $20 cheaper. For Kensington, I take note of amenities and guest rating and go back to retail to see if I can guess which it might be. I also make sure that the hotels with the cheapest price ARE NOT the Copthorne Tara or the Hilton Olympia -- if those are the cheaper than the other Hiltons, Holiday Inns, Marriotts and the like in the zone I won't bid that area unless it is significantly cheaper than the other zones. For Chelsea, I look to make sure the Copthorne Football Club doesn't have stellar deals on the retail site. For Regent's Park, I don't like bidding there if they seem to be promoting rooms for the Quality Inn. (those hotels should be 3* and not 4*). The only thing is, they sometimes use different hotels for Express and NYOP, but it is a greater than 50/50 chance that if you can guess which hotel it is for Express by comparing with retail, that you've also figured out which will be their go-to for NYOP.

I wanted to provide an update on the bidding process on priceline. I started as advised

Mayfair - Soho
Westminster
Bloomsbury - Marble Arch

Kensington -Earls Court

I have gone 4 and 5 star and up to $145. The next bid I have is to go

Chelsea - Knitghtsbridge

Priceline express has a $158 5 star and I was wondering if I should go express or try adding the Chelsea/Knitghtsbrighe and if so at what price.   Our dates are two nights 9/19 and 9/20. 

Hope the update was helpful and any input is appreciated.

Thank you again.

PS we have not tried hotwire yet but found Westminster - Victoria - Big Ben area 4.5 star for $166

Look forward to input on next step

Sorry I should have been clearer Priceline has a Westminster - Houses of Parliament - Victoria 4star)type on the 5 star)  $158 should I purchase that or add Chelsea - Knitghtsbridge and keep the 145 or increase to 150? 

I would really rather stay under 150 since there are 60-70 in taxes, etc.

Is a 3 star good quality? Should I do this instead? and keep under a certain price?

Thereuare's post #7 addresses the shared bathroom issue.  

I've emailed Priceline asking that specific question, and they have responded assuring me that all their rooms had private bathrooms.  With Hotwire, I've looked at easily 1,000s of listings, and only seen shared bathrooms on maybe 2 or 3.  The shared bathroom offers have a very specific icon to denote them.  

You could email both Priceline and Hotwire if you'd like to have their response directly.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]