Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Hartford (Bradley Intl Airport - Windsor Vicinity) Sheraton Hartford Hotel at Bradley Airport

Chase123
By Chase123,
in

Bidding on a 3 1/2 star hotel at BDL.

08/11/14 - 08/12/14

Have 12 rebid zones. Started at $50.00, increased each bid by one dollar. Last bid I increased by two dollars, so I bid $62.00.

I did not win, yet. :-)

Have a few days. Would like some help on permutations, so I can do many more bids. Current rack rate is $199.00 a night at the Bradley Sheraton and the rate at the Hilton Doubletree is $151.00

Thanks.

Have 12 rebid zones.

NOTE that when bidding 3.5* in this region have have ELEVEN re-bid zones, not 12. If you're not using the method at Priceline Re-Bidding Explained to determine your re-bid zones please use the technique discussed there and feel free to confirm your re-bid zones with the board if you're unsure.

I'll also add that at current rates i don't think your bids (which are about a third of prevailing rates) are realistic... at the moment you'll more likely need to be in the $80-$100 area for a 3.5* property.

Lastly, remember that besides going down, rate can go up as well. I don't think it's likely that rates are as low as $65 for these dates, but let's assume that a hotel was available at this rate today but it's pulled from inventory or the rate goes up tomorrow... you miss out on the deal because you're bidding in $1 increments. If you were successful at $70 (or even $80 or $90) for a hotel that is otherwise selling for $150+, i'd think that would still be a very nice deal. I recommend trying to focus on the $10's in savings rather than the $1's you may potentially leave on the table if you were to bid in $3-$5 increments (especially for a one nite stay).

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

"I'll also add that at current rates i don't think your bids (which are about a third of prevailing rates) are realistic... at the moment you'll more likely need to be in the $80-$100 area for a 3.5* property.

Lastly, remember that besides going down, rate can go up as well. I don't think it's likely that rates are as low as $65 for these dates, but let's assume that a hotel was available at this rate today but it's pulled from inventory or the rate goes up tomorrow... you miss out on the deal because you're bidding in $1 increments. If you were successful at $70 (or even $80 or $90) for a hotel that is otherwise selling for $150+, i'd think that would still be a very nice deal. I recommend trying to focus on the $10's in savings rather than the $1's you may potentially leave on the table if you were to bid in $3-$5 increments (especially for a one nite stay)."

I have won this hotel before with a bid of $65.00 before taxes and fees. That's the max my budget allows, or I will go down to a 3*

If I could get some help with permutations, (how to calculate and bid with them) I would have many more bids available to me.

Thanks.

If I could get some help with permutations, (how to calculate and bid with them) I would have many more bids available to me.

There is discussion here on Priceline Bidding Permutations.  There are other posts in this thread also covering the topic.  

But with 11 free re-bid zones, and if you just use an increment of $2, you could surely span the possible range?

Using your date and Maps.Hotels in the Tool Box above, the 3.5* hotels are Doubletree $165 and Sheraton $199.  

The 3* Springhill Suites is $139.

The 2.5s* range from  $92 to $121.  

One really never knows, but assuming a 50% win, your budget puts you in the 2.5* range.  Although it could be worthwhile to try for a 3* first.  

You could also each day bid the 3.5*s first, just to assure yourself you aren't missing a new offer.  

Romelle

A minor change in technique - use your bigger increments at the beginning of your series of bids.  You are less likely to win down there anyway, and might as well save the smaller increments for when you are getting closer.  

If I counted on my fingers correctly, your last bid in the series above was $67?  That would still be under the 50% mark, and when times are busy the % savings becomes much less.  The hotels simply don't have to offer the deals to fill.

Romelle

Hotwire is showing a 3* in the BDL zone for $53.00 -- I think it is the Baymont Inn & Suites

Please list the amenities HOT.WIRE associates with the hotel you're looking at and we'll have a look at this.

Please run a new search using our BiddingHelper.com tool at the top of this page. Once the search is completed, use the EASY VIEW TAB and click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing to view the complete set of amenities. Then copy and paste the amenities, as well as the price, in a reply to this thread and we will then have a look at this offer.

Please use the PRICELINE and hot.wire links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

From Hotwire: 3*

FULL AMENITIES: Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Pet friendly, Indoor pool(s), Airport Shuttle, Fitness Center, Business Center,

Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower.

$53.00 per night

(My guess is Baymont)

From Priceline.Express: 3.5*

Bradley International Airport (BDL) Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher)

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Airport Shuttle

Business Center

$109 per night

(My guess is Doubletree Hotel)

I'd agree that the best guess for the 3* HOTWIRE property would be the Baymont Inn and Suites East Windsor.

I didn't investigate the PRICELINE EXPRESS property as it is well over your budget so i'm assuming that this is not a likely candidate for purchase, regardless of what property it is, correct?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I looked at all of my options. I just did not like any of the deals I could get at a 3*, and the Baymont Hotel Hotwire deal was not appealing. Poor reviews for that place.

So, I started bidding.

60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 83, 86, 90, 93, and then $95.00 hit the jackpot! (I have stayed here before, and love this hotel)

US$ 95.00
Rooms:  1
Nights:   1
Room Subtotal: US$ 95.00
Taxes & Fees:    US$ 22.69
Total:                  US$ 117.69

Website lowest price: $199.00, before taxes and fees.

Thought I might definitely get the Doubletree Hotel, since Priceline express was offering a room for $109.00 before taxes and fees.

[ +++I have to admit, I wonder if I waited even longer if I could have gotten a better deal! :-) +++ ]

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you scored a great deal at this property and that you're pleased with the outcome.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay and return visit to this location.

There's really no way to know. In 2008-2009, there were a lot of instances where prices would decline towards the "last minute". However, in the last few years as rates have gone higher and demand has gone up, there's been more instances where rates have gone up towards the dates of travel. Rates can definitely go both ways.

Enjoy your stay.

Just to satisfy my curiousity...

Do you think I might have been able to get this room for a lower price if I waited and bid closer to the check-in date?

I'll add to the comments above if you did wait and were successful at a lower price, it could have easily been at a different hotel (perhaps one that you didn't like as much)... so i'd be happy with the deal you received and not be too concerned with 'what might have been'. ;)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]