Denver - what the heck?

Peter Scott
By Peter Scott,
in

I just tried to book an economy to and from DEN for August 4-7 and my $30/day bid was rejected.  It suggested $123 would be a better price and that the average was $145/day.

I want to RENT the car, not BUY it.

Yet I found similar rates on Budget.com.  What on earth is going on?  I just got an SUV in Los Angeles for the same price (August 25-Sep 1)!

I supposed there is likely a major event taking place during your rental period that is driving up rates.

Using our Car Rental Rate Checker what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I supposed there is likely a major event taking place during your rental period that is driving up rates.

Using our Car Rental Rate Checker what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?

It says $137/day for a compact.

I cannot figure out what the event could be. The Adult Film Star Ball is not until the end of the month :-)

I am just going to do taxis. No way I'm paying $500+ for 4 days.

I started with Hot.wire, but let it also use non-airport locations.  I got moved to carrentals.com and started seeing economy cars from Enterprise for $35 a day for your dates.  Something like this could work for you.  

Enterprise does a lot of business renting temporaries to people who've been in accidents.  

I saw "we'll pick you up" on their web site.

Cabs aren't a bad solution though, as the high rates suggest there might also be traffic congestion.

Romelle

I cannot figure out what the event could be.

I don't know how big of an event it is, but there is a Rocky Mountain Energy Summit taking place Aug 4-7. They advertise over 100 vendors so i assume it's at least a moderately sized event, and this may be a contributing factor to the high demand you're seeing.

I'd check again just before the event to see if rates have dropped at all and/or continue to check thru the Car Rate Checker.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

They are really crazy during August. Just booked a compact for $55 a day (after fees was $75 a day) for 8/14-8/19. Rejected initial bid of $50/day.

Using normal Priceline, it was $97 a day for the lowest price (after fees). Ridiculous!!!

Nice win for this rental during a crazy busy period.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could post the details of the win as a separate thread - thanks.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]