Priceline Hotel: 4* London (Kensington - Earls Court) Holiday Inn Kensington Forum

Beecatdog
By Beecatdog,
in

Hi, I am trying to pick a London Hotel for PRICELINE and not sure what areas to go to.

Our budget would be 150-200 per night (if lower, the better).

We are not really sure what a good area for a hotel is.  It is our first time in London, and we will be visiting pretty much a bunch of popular tourist attraction places.

If I am bidding on PRICELINE, what should my strategy be?  And should i select all zones?

We prefer to have wifi in room.  And also prefer not to be in a bad neighborhood (if any).

We will also be in London from September 19, 2014 - September 22 2014 (4 nights).

Thanks!

Please provide a follow-up for your prior NYC Priceline thread (post in that thread what you decided for that stay), then reply to this thread and we'll be happy to look into the above. Please follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

For your upcoming trip. Please have a look at the PRICELINE maps for London so you get a feeling for the zones.

Would you prefer to stay in "city center" or are you OK with a short tube ride to save money?

Please use the PRICELINE and hot.wire links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

Regents Park - North London is usually a good zone for cheaper 4* hotels amd is a short ride to city.

Would you be OK with that zone?

Did you see any zones at the maps that looks interesting for you to include in your bidding?

Please use the PRICELINE and hot.wire links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

CLICK HERE for one list of London's top 10 tourist attractions.  There are lots of these lists, and yours may well be different, but I thought I'd give you a start.  If you compare this map with the Priceline zone map, maybe you can identify zones where you'd like to be.  

You will note that the attractions are spread out over quite a bit of central London, so even if you get a hotel right by a couple of them, you will still be riding the tube to others.

I'd really suggest one of those Hop-On-Hop-Off tours to start.  Read the details carefully.  If the tour is good for 24 hours, sometimes you can start in the afternoon and get about 1/2 done.  Then go again the next morning to finish the job.  It will definitely help you find probably all the attractions you are seeking (and a few you didn't even know you were seeking).   Then with your remaining time go back and do your favorites more thoroughly.  

If you zoom way in on the Priceline zones, you can see the symbols for tube stations.  You can see Regent's Park yellowdog mentioned is nicely dotted with tube stations.

In addition to the Regent's Park zone , Bloomsbury can be one of the less expensive ones.  But, if you would be happy with any of the central core more-expensive zones, do include them.  With bidding you really never know just what might happen.   

My personal list of London inner core zones is:

1 Bloomsbury - Marble Arch 
2 Chelsea - Knightsbridge (although parts of this one are a little far out)
6 Kensington - Earl's Court  
9 Mayfair - Soho  
12 The City - Tower Bridge - St. Pauls Cathedral  
14 Westminster - Houses of Parliament - Victoria  

Romelle

I have been trying to bid using Priceline today however they were all declined and did the rebid method as well but still didnt get accepted.

I figure my bids are too low but not sure what my starting point should be.

Basically here is the last offers I got declined so far:

Bloomsbury

Chelsea

Kensington

Soho

City Tower

Westminster

5* last decline at $105

4* last decline at $93

3* last decline at $84

Going to try again tomorrow; but does anyone know any reasonable starting bids I should go with?

Thanks!

You can start as low as you like.  The important thing is to not bid any higher than what I refer to as "the next best alternative".   And that takes some research.

Since one can usually do a little better via bidding than via Priceline Express, I checked your dates for that.

The best (lowest price) Priceline Express:

5* The City - Tower Bridge - St. Pauls Cathedral - $276

4* Westminster-Houses of Parliament - Victoria - $163

3* Bloomsbury-Marble Arch - $161

Hotwire is another alternative, so you might want to check that.  You may see lower numbers with them, but one has to keep in mind that they can be a little more generous with stars.

The experts here can usually give you an educated guess as to what hotel you will get for a particular Priceline Express or Hotwire offer.  You get to decide at what point you'd rather just pay a little more for having good odds of getting a particular hotel vs the opaque result of bidding.  $10, $20, ... $50?  And there is value in knowing the amenities and the %recommended.  Some people really don't like risk so are willing to pay quite a bit more for the more sure thing.  Others feel differently, and will bid up to very close to the next best alternative just to save a few dollars (that would be me).

The savings is generally less in high seasons since hotels just don't need to give the larger discounts to fill.  One never really knows, but I'd guess you will be fortunate to save 5% to maybe 15% via bidding.  

Right now you've only got three free re-bid zones at the 5* level, and none at the 4* and 3* levels.

5* hotels appear to be out of the budget range you mentioned initially.

3* hotels can be a little dicey in London.

So I suspect you are going to want to focus on the 4*s.

I think you want to figure out just what your maximum bid will be for the 4*s in your selected zones (assuming you still want to stay with same list of zones?).  Something less than the $163 Priceline Express deal or best Hotwire offer?  Then post back and ask for a bidding pattern that will optimize your chances of success in your selected zones and star level.  If you reach your maximum bid without success, you simply accept that next best alternative.  

Romelle

PS - For the record, I'm a member, not a board official.  

PSS - I just saw the bidding pattern for another member, where you also chimed in.  It is precisely what I'm talking about.  Although you could adjust the numbers for your higher budget.  I'm guessing the $130 in that pattern won't be quite enough.  But one never knows.  You could try it first, and then if it doesn't work wait the 24 hours and try it again but adjusted higher.  To explore the range between $130 and $160, just add $30 to each bid number.

We will also be in London from September 19, 2014 - September 22 2014 (4 nights).

The above would be 3 nites... please confirm your check-in, check-out, and/or length of your stay.

Are you currently willing to pay more for a 5* vs. a 4* OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better hotel (or 3* hotel if that is what you desire, but with 4* properties within your budget, i wouldn't try to save a few dollars by taking a 3* property since hotel quality at the lower star levels in Europe can go down quickly)

If you let us know your maximum bid for a 4* hotel, and confirm that the zones you've listed above in your previous bidding are all still acceptable, we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are no re-bid zones at the 4* level in London, so i would bid as follows:

Select 4* Bloomsbury and City Tower...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Soho and Notting Hill...

Select 4* Westminster and Kensington...

Select 4* Bloomsbury and Notting Hill...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Soho and Kensington...

Select 4* Westminster and City Tower...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* City Tower, Westminster, Notting Hill...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* City Tower, Kensington, Soho...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Westminster, Notting Hill...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Notting Hill...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Soho, City Tower, Westminster...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho, City Tower...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho, Westminster...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho, Notting Hill...

Select 4* City Tower, Westminster, Notting Hill, Bloomsbury...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* City Tower, Westminster, Notting Hill, Kensington...

Select 4* City Tower, Westminster, Notting Hill, Soho...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho, City Tower, Westminster...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho, City Tower, Notting Hill...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Westminster, Notting Hill, Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Westminster, Notting Hill, Bloomsbury, Kensington, City Tower...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Soho, City Tower, Westminster, Notting Hill...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were successful finding a hotel well within your budget and hopefully you're pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]