Priceline Hotel: 4* St. Louis (Downtown) Doubletree St. Louis Union Station

tslugmo
By tslugmo,
in

Clicked through on your PRICELINE link. Tried for several days, max I wanted to pay was $60 for a 4* or $45 for a 3.5*.

• PRICELINE EXPRESS deal was $77 for 4* (Pet friendly, Fitness Center, Free Internet, Business Center) and $62 for 3.5*, although the 3.5* express deal would disappear from time to time depending on the day. The Express Deal pricing did not change, but my offer which was previously rejected was accepted this time. We are exactly one month out, perhaps that's why.
  • Hot.wire had a $73 4* "Downtown St Louis Area" with Pet Friendly, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Self Service Laundry, Internet Access. 
  • Expe.dia wanted $118/night for this hotel ($137.64 after taxes and fees).  There were no Expedia options downtown for $60. The best $60 could get me was the 2* Airport Quality Inn.
Each day I started at $50 for the 4* and worked my way up in $5 increments to my max with freebids, then started at $35 for the 3.5*, returning the next day to try again. Today I started at $55 and received this screen: "If you are willing to raise your price by $12 to $67 per room, per night, you can try the same request again right now."

I instead added another free rebid zone and tried $60, and it was accepted. Total after taxes and fees: $77.48.  Reviews on this hotel are mixed, and unfortunately I don't think I'll be receiving a hotel of the usual Doubletree standard, which is the risk with Price.line. However, given the price, where we would've had to stay through Expe.dia, and the proximity to a holiday, I'm pretty happy. Thanks as always for all your helpful information and tips.

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up for timing data, there is now a Priceline.Express deal for the same 4 star with the same amenities for $59/night for this date, now 2 weeks out.  I had a feeling I might be booking to far out in advance, and it looks like that's true.

I have seen plenty of examples where rates move in the other direction and are substantially higher by waiting, there is really no telling which way they will go. However, with current rates at this property at $119/nite, you have still received a great deal at this property, and i'd focus more on the $50+ savings than the possible $5 you may have left on the table. ;)

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have seen plenty of examples where rates move in the other direction and are substantially higher by waiting, there is really no telling which way they will go. However, with current rates at this property at $119/nite, you have still received a great deal at this property, and i'd focus more on the $50+ savings than the possible $5 you may have left on the table. ;)

Enjoy your stay.

Great point! Thanks.

I've stayed here several times, it's comfortable and clean. Hallways reminiscent of The Shining and looooong, so if you don't want to walk, ask for a room near the elevators. If you don't want the noise, though, ask for a room with a view of the 'lake.' It's very pretty at night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]