Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Cleveland (Downtown) Doubletree Hotel Cleveland Downtown/Lakeside

frugalgrad
By frugalgrad,
in

Hi, new here.  Have spent a few hours purusing all of this fantastically compiled information - what a great resource this site is!

I tried my hand at bidding this morning without any luck, but I realize it's because I'm really underbidding and I'd like to know what's a reasonable starting point for these dates and location.

This morning I tried bidding on only 4* hotels in downtown Cleveland (there are 2 according to the Priceline list), I started at $60 and re-bid by adding locations that didn't have any 4* hotels.  I rebid 4 times; my last bid was for $86 and by that point I had included 4 additional areas.  They were all declined.

My "go to" hotel (the one I'd be willing to pay list price for if it comes down to it) is $137/night, 2.5* hotel that has great reviews but doesn't sell through Hotwire or Priceline.  (I don't think a hotel with that star rating is worth $137/night, but I digress.  Not sure if we're allowed to list specifics here, so that's why I'm not putting its name).  If I'm going to pay that much, I'd like to get a 4* hotel, but I'd be content with a 3.5* for under $100.

Any strategies for going about this?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thanks for the compliments on the site :) )

At the moment you're likely looking at $135-$150 for a 4* property... $90-$105 for a 3.5* property.

Do you want to keep trying for a 4* up to $137/nite OR do you want to try for a 3.5* up to $100 (or $105??)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow!  That was a quick response - thanks!

I dropped my rating preference to include 3.5* hotels, started at $60 again, rebid up to $82 without any success - yet.

I appreciate you giving me an idea of what I can expect to pay; of course, $90 for a 3.5* hotel is better than $137 for a 2.5* one!

Should I try bidding a couple of times a week for the next couple of weeks and then trying every day as my travel date gets closer?  Any chance the rates might drop over the next 4 weeks?

Do you want to keep trying for a 4* up to $137/nite OR do you want to try for a 3.5* up to $100 (or $105??)

If you let us know your preference, and confirm your maximum bid, we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Alternately, there is a 3.5* hotel on PRICELINE EXPRESS at $107/nite and using the discount code and link in my signature (expires tonite at midnite EST) brings this down to ~$101/nite, if you just want to get this taken care of without bidding again. (Indoor Pool, Free Internet in room, Business Center, Fitness Center)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you are determining your rebid areas correctly, there are 10 at the 4* level and five at the 3.5* level.   I noticed you bid just four when you were bidding at the 4* level?  Did you quit because you didn't want to bid higher, or because you thought you didn't have any more free rebids?

Also, while there are only two hotels in the Betterbidding Hotel List, that means there are only two that have been reported as successful bids to this board.  There are other 4* downtown Cleveland hotels, and it is entirely possible you could get a new one not yet reported (speaking from experience).

Romelle

My maximum is $100 base price on the room per night.  Hotwire popped up this morning with $115/night on a 3.5* downtown, which is definitely better than the 2.5* at $137/night that I've been considering, but I'd really like to try to get a 3.5* room for no more than $100 per night.

I've been hesitant to keep re-bidding by adding additional areas because I read on here that sometimes star ratings can change.  I'm concerned that I'll include a region that is only supposed to have hotels with a max of 3* in the bidding, but a rating has changed, I'll get the room, and it will be in some far-flung area of town, which is an issue because I'll be relying on my feet and public transportation while I'm there.

Here's what I tried this morning without success:

Selected minimum of 3.5* rated hotels.

Started at $65 for only downtown - rejected

$67, added Brookpark - rejected

$87, added Elyria - rejected

$91, added SE Cleveland - rejected

$95, added Cleveland East - rejected

The moderators and members here are a wealth of support and info - thank you!

I've been hesitant to keep re-bidding by adding additional areas because I read on here that sometimes star ratings can change.  I'm concerned that I'll include a region that is only supposed to have hotels with a max of 3* in the bidding, but a rating has changed, I'll get the room, and it will be in some far-flung area of town, which is an issue because I'll be relying on my feet and public transportation while I'm there.

Are you using the technique in Priceline Re-Bidding Explained to determine your re-bid zones? Are you able to determine your 5th re-bid zone (in addition to the 4 you're using above) and using this approach are you comfortable using this strategy in your bidding?

While following the technique thereuare points you to in his most recent post, I sometimes take an additional precaution.  While bidding a longer sequence using several free re-bid zones, I open up a second screen on my computer.  Then, just before I hit the enter on each new bid, I double-check on the second screen to see if there have been any changes in the zones.  This reduces the risk to a matter of seconds.  

You are right that star ratings can change.  As well, there can be new hotels and the zone boundaries do shift.  

Haven't been burned yet .....

Romelle

Over the weekend I decided to lower my expectations and drop to a minimum of a 3* rated hotel.  I tried bidding on Saturday, starting with $50 for Downtown Cleveland only (declined), rebid at $55 adding a zone (declined), and rebid again at $62 adding a third zone (declined). 

This morning I tried again, same pattern, but starting at $60 and ending at $72 on the second rebid.  No success.

I did some math and the average price for a 3* hotel in Downtown Cleveland for the two nights I need is $129/night.  If the max I want to spend is $100/night, should I just go ahead and try bidding that on a minimum of a 3* hotel now or is that overpaying?  Or is it wiser to wait until I'm closer to my travel dates to try bidding again to see if I can get a better-rated hotel for the $100/night?

Got determined to resolve this this morning so that I can move on with my summer school classes.  I had done some bidding on Saturday morning in the 3.5* range, up to $95, without success.  I was looking at hotel reviews on another site this morning and found one of their secret deals on an unnamed 3.5* hotel for $109/night.  I matched up the amenities list and figured out it was the Doubletree, so I went back to Price.line and underbid by $10/night and won.  The secret deal on the other site came out to $271 including the taxes and fees and I'm paying $241, all-inclusive, for my room.  List price for this hotel is $125/night.  Of course, I would have liked to have saved more, but considering I was going to spend $137/night on a 2.5* hotel before deciding to give Price.line a whirl for the first time, I think I did okay.  And I get Doubletree cookies!  Thanks so much for your guidance!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]