Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* NYC MTE Intercontinental Barclay

esklader
By esklader,
in

At this point, I can't identify this property.

The closest thing that i can come up with, based upon the Spa icon, is The Regency Hotel, but considering Hotwire's star rating and price, i'm very doubtful that this is the property.

I'll continue to search further, but just wanted to at least give you an update.

Out of curiosity, were you attracted to this property due to price, or is there a specific reason that you want to stay in the Upper East side area? (as it's not typically the first choice of those visiting NYC)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We have a wedding at the Water Club on Sunday, which is the river and 34th, or something like that. We don't plan on doing a lot of touristy stuff, but I do want to be in a nice area. If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I was also looking at Midtown East and maybe midtown South. And yes, it was the price that attracted me!

One other question...we will have 2 adults and 2 kids in the room. Do you think we'll be okay in terms of being able to at least get 2 beds?

Thanks for your help!

Do you think we'll be okay in terms of being able to at least get 2 beds?

This is a calculated risk that only you can determine if it's worth making. However, NYC is known for some of the smallest hotel rooms in the country. Living in the area, i've only stayed in one NYC hotel room and the room i was in would not have handled an extra bed. If the hotel is able to give rooms with 2 beds, i think the best chance at getting one of them is checking in earlier in the day, and if a room with 2 beds is not available, ask if you can wait for one to be cleaned. On the other hand, the good news is that you can often get 2 rooms in NYC via Priceline/Hotwire for the price of one booked conventionally. With that said, you'll have to make the decision as to how you want to play it.

I think you could stay anywhere in midtown (including mid-town West). Everything is just a short cab ride away... you could even take a subway from anywhere in the city to 34th St and transfer (free) to a city bus that will drop you off right near the Water Club (although with 4 people i would just recommend taking a taxi). So really, everything in mid-town would be convenient, as you'll need to take public transportation or a taxi from anywhere you stay. I don't know if you saw this thread, and it was written with Priceline zones in mind, but it can easily apply to Hotwire as well with a few adjustments: NYC Zone Descriptions.

Personally, my zone preferences (taking price into consideration) for your stay would be MTE followed by MTW. Only prolbem with MTE is that you could get the Shoreham which is one of those hotels whose standard room can only accomdate one bed, although they have been known to allow Priceline/Hotwire customers to upgrade to the next class of room for $50 when available (which typically is still cheaper than booking direct).

Let me know if you'd consider staying in any of the mid-town zones (and if so, would you accept any of the mid-town zones, only certain ones, or want to exclude certain ones) and i'll post a Priceline strategy for you. Also include the most you would want to spend so that i can tailor the strategy to your specifications.

Feel free to ask any add'l questions this may have sparked.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Once again, appreciate your help! I think I'd be most interested in the MTE area, at least to begin with. Here's a new twist...after talking to my relatives who are also going to the wedding, I am now hoping to book 4 rooms. In terms of price, I would love to stay under $100, if possible, or not much over it, and go with a 4*. Do you think there's any chance of that?

I think it's possible thru Priceline, although thru THIS LINK we have a board member that has been having trouble getting a NYC room from 9/18-9/21. It's possible that the 18th or 19th are the 'trouble' dates in his reservation and you'll have no trouble with yours for the 20th, but at this point we just don't know if this is the case or not.

There are a few hotels in the MTE zone that accept under $100, but i think you'd increase your chances greatly if you would also add the MTW zone to your possibilities (as there are a few hotels, the Hilton, Westin, and Shoreham) that have been known to accept bids under $100. (i made a mistake earlier, stating that the Shoreham was in the MTE zone, but it is in the MTW zone). You could just stick with the MTE zone for a week or so and then consider adding the MTW zone if it gets more 'desperate'. However, as i'm not the one staying at the hotel, it's not for me to decide as you're the one that needs to be happy with the location of your hotel :)

If you only want to stick with the MTE zone, i woudl bid as follows:

4* MTE bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone

bid $95

If you'd also accept MTW (which includes the Shoreham, which will only offer you a room with one bed):

4* MTE bid $75, if rejected

add MTW and bid $93, if rejected

add re-bid zone and bid $95

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

A property with this description has not yet been identified, and with just those 2 amenities there's just not enough to go on to figure it out as most hotels in NYC will offer a fitness and business center.

As you're 10 days out, what is your back-up plan if not successful thru Priceline at this level?

Well, I've noticed that Hotwire's pricing on certain hotels seems to go down during the last week, so I'm hoping something might show up. Worst case scenario, we pay a ridiculous amount of money, or stay in Secaucus, where we have a back-up room booked, although this is definitely not my preference!!

FINALLY! Gave up on Priceline when after multiple bidding every 72 hours I couldn't get a bid accepted although I went up to $135.

Today, a 4 1/2* MTE on Hotwire was lowered to $125 and I grabbed it. Expected the UN Millenium, but got the Intercontinental Barclay.

Maybe my headache will go away now...

Thanks again for your help! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]