Priceline Hotel: 5/3-5/5 Boston Hotel Bid

mikiwzh
By mikiwzh,
in

I plan to stay in Downtown Boston-Harbor Front, Copley Square-Back Bay, or Boston Common-Theater District area? I know it might be the commencement season, but I searched the commencement date for universities in Boston and found the closest date is Northeastern May 2nd. Will I be able to bid a 3 star and up hotel in these areas within 100 dollars per night? Which area will you recommend for me to choose? What hotels in these area should I avoid? For example, if a 3 star hotel in Downtown Boston area is very bad, then I may try 3.5 star and up in this area. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Please help me identify the following hotel

Priceline express deal

May 4-May 5

Downtown Boston-Harbor Front 5 star 205 per night rating 8.0

Guaranteed amenities: Free internet in room, Restaurant, Indoor Swimming Pool, Fitness Center, Pets Allowed.

I would like to avoid Fairmont Battery Wharf because it is too far from the South station and other places.

Thanks for the help

I used the forum's Priceline link and bid for the Boston Common - Theater area 4 star hotel from May 4-May 5. Tried several re-bid zones, and added price up to 100, but no success.

I checked the express deal price to have a better idea of how much I should bid. The express deal price for Boston Common - Theater area 4 star hotel is 190, and the lowest retail price is 230. I checked the express deal for March, and found that most are around 100 dollars. I also found that most people in this forum bid within one month of the check-in date. Am I bidding too early?

I have never been to Boston before, so I am not sure if the graduate season affect the price. I checked the academic calendar for most universities in Boston, and only found one college has commencement on May 3. All the other commencements are scheduled after May 10.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Any decisions for your Washington DC or NYC hotel stays? Please post a follow-up there with any decisions you have made or your current thoughts/gameplan for each of those trips.

The rate differences you're noting above are more likely do to high-season/low-season issues rather than timing of the purchase...

It's commencement season in Boston which raises rates substantially (not sure what commencement you found for May 3rd but Northeastern University commencement is May 2 and many in attendance from out of town will stay for the weekend)

As well, Boston is still very cold in March compared to May (when the weather should be very nice) so there is less demand (and lower prices) in March vs. May.

Do you now have a revised maximum budget per nite for this leg of your trip? As you have thus far only bid up to $100 for this nite, are you willing to pay $200+ per nite for a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry, I will keep them in the same post.

I will bid my stay in Boston first as a practice since it is one night stay. 

There is a HOTWIRE deal in Downtown Boston-Franeuil Hall area, 4 star, 154 per night, so I will not pay more than 135 for bidding on Price.line.

The amenities is as follows: Free internet, Pet friendly,Boutique Hotel, Fitness Center, Restaurants, Business Center, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom. I guess it is Ames, but I am not sure because the list price on the Ames official website is 186 for king, 203 for double. This price doesn't match Hotwire's claimed original price of 264

This price doesn't match Hotwire's claimed original price of 264

The price you see isn't for a specific hotel. It's a median for some/all 4* hotels in the zone.

Best guess for the HOTWIRE hotel would be The Ames.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Yellowdog.

I checked the express deal for March, and found that most are around 100 dollars. I also found that most people in this forum bid within one month of the check-in date. Am I bidding too early?

I have never been to Boston before, so I am not sure if the graduate season affect the price. I checked the academic calendar for most universities in Boston, and only found one college has commencement on May 3. All the other commencements are scheduled after May 10.

Rate/s are highly dependent on the date - with baseball and nicer weather, May is often more expensive and March wins are not an indicator of May prices.

I have a question about how much should I bid. For example, if the lowest retail price of all the four star hotels in an area from the hotel websites is 200 dollars, how much should I bid?

I'm seeing HOTWIRE 4*'s in core areas of Boston between around $180-$225. I think you're likely looking at needing a bid of $150-165, although that's dependent on which zone. I'd start bidding lower first, as while you do have some time, I'd be persistent in trying to lock something in as this is not a slow season.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Let us know once you decide upon your desired desired zones, star rating, and maximum bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow. (and once you're also confirm the dates of your stay as it looks like it has changed since you started the thread)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have a question about how much should I bid. For example, if the lowest retail price of all the four star hotels in an area from the hotel websites is 200 dollars, how much should I bid?

Bidding is free.  And you can do it every 24 hours.  You can start as low as you'd like.  I don't know what it is currently, but there has been some reasonable minimum where Priceline just tells you "too low".  It won't be an issue  for you since Boston is sufficiently expensive there is no point exploring some level like $40 for a 4*.  

The idea is to start somewhere below where you think might be successful, and then gradually work up.  Boston currently has 9 free re-bid zones at the 4* level, so you can make lots of bids all in one day.  If you aren't familiar with this concept, there is a good discussion in the FAQs.  If it still doesn't make sense, and you want to use it, post back and someone will help you.

There are lots of ways to figure out a starting point.  Priceline suggests one can find savings up to 60% over retail.  Indeed this does happen occasionally, in off-season, non-holiday, non-event times.  If you've got time to work through lots of unsuccessful bidding this might be your entry point.  A little more useful is looking up Hotwire and Priceline Express rates for your desired star level and zones, and then starting maybe 15% below them.  That probably is too low, but when a subsequent higher bid is successful you will know you didn't bid too much.  I find nothing more frustrating that having my first bid succeed.  I know I "left money on the table".  

With a one night stay, the 9 free rebids and a $5 increment, in one day you can explore the 4* core Boston zones at $ 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135.  It is not likely to be successful, but then you will know that for sure.  I find I have to prove things to myself, rather than just wondering about them.  I wouldn't try this on the outer zones though, as they can be less expensive.  

At the lower star levels there aren't that many free rebids, but there are still efficient ways of exploring them

I'm a member, not a board official, but just wanted to aid your thinking a bit.  When you've made the decisions noted in thereuare's last post, post back and you'll be given a whole bidding pattern to try.  

And a final point - Hotwire can be a little more generous with stars than Priceline is.  Very roughly - a half star.  So when looking at a 3.5* Priceline, it might be a 4* Hotwire.  There are instances of them rating the same hotel the same, and also instances of a full star difference, but the general tendency is about the half star.  Do keep this in mind when comparing offers.

Romelle

AaronJB, thereuare, Romelle, thank you very much for the help!!!

My desired area is Boston Commons-Theater district, 4 star. The retail price is about 200 dollars now. For example, Revere is 216 dollar per night. Therefore, I am hoping to bid one at 125. 

I have done some research on bidding,and rebid zone is not a problem for me. I am trying to avoid overpaying by knowing the "reasonable" bid price. I don't want to bid a 200 dollar hotel for 180 dollar. 

I will keep you guys updated of my progress.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please book your regular rate purchases thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]