Priceline Hotel: 3* Phoenix (Downtown) Hyatt Regency

bbbb
By bbbb,
in

I just bid this at 5 pm tonight for tonight. I started at $37 and got a counter offer to add $10. I rebid $41 and won the bid @ $43.

Fri, Oct 28, 2005

Check-In Time: After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date: Sat, Oct 29, 2005

Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price: $43.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $43.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$12.64

Total Charges: $55.64

Pegster,

Priceline will give a counteroffer straight after bidding if it gives one at all. You will see wording similar to this: Priceline could not find a hotel at $xx, but if you are willing to raise your bid by $xx, you can make this bid again.

Conventional wisdom is that if you see a counteroffer, you have a 100% chance of getting the counteroffer accepted. Most experienced Priceline bidders try to undercut the counteroffer. That is, if Priceline gives you a counteroffer at $17 greater than your bid, you can probably win the hotel with a bid less than $17 over the bid that generated the counteroffer.

Of course, your ability to undercut a counteroffer depends on many factors. Do you have enough free rebids to undercut a counteroffer? Can you sit out the 3-day waiting period if you run out of free rebids and your undercut bid is rejected? (Once you reject a counteroffer, you can't accept it later. At least this is my understanding. I'd like to know if someone has experience that proves my understanding wrong.)

In short, it would be difficult to miss a Priceline counteroffer. It appears on the same screen showing that your bid has been rejected. Experienced bidders usually try to undercut a counteroffer, but may be limited by the number of free rebids remaining and how much time they have before they need the hotel room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]