Priceline Hotel: 4* Maui (Kaanapali - Lahaina) The Westin Maui Resort and Spa

jwhitaker
By jwhitaker,
in

Hello bidders,

This will be my first time trying to bid for travel. I am going to Maui on 1/24-1/28/2014. I want a 4* hotel in the Ka'anapali area. Here's the wrinkle, the Hyatt has construction going on and is significantly discounted. The retail rate is about $237 (30% off, excluding all the daily fees, etc.) I have seen on here and other various sites that people have gotten the Hyatt for as low as $130 and others (Westin, Sheraton) for as low as $160 or $180. I am okay with any 4* hotel, but I would prefer to pay $30-50 per night extra to avoid the construction. Is there any way of improving my chances of winning a hotel other than the Hyatt? I see people have won all 3 hotels in the previous months. I would think the Hyatt would always be the cheapest so do you just have to hope Hyatt is booked full on one of your days? If I start my bid higher and it would be accepted by both Hyatt and Westin, will they automatically give me the one that wants a higher price, e.g. Westin?

Thanks for your advice.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

When bidding on PRICELINE there is no way to target, or avoid, a specific hotel... you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you select.

It's not recommended to bid high as you could simply receive the hotel you're hoping to avoid but overpaying for it, as explained in this Don't Bid Higher for a Specific Hotel thread.

The best option for you in this scenario would be to use HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS if you're able to determine (based upon the amenities and any other information that is shown) that the hotel offered is NOT the one that you're trying to avoid. HOTWIRE may cost you a few dollars more than a successful PRICELINE bid, but in this instance, it will increase the chances of avoiding the hotel you don't want.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know if/how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, I think I will just bid normally on Priceline (2 rebid zones at 4* = 4 bid attempts per day). I just bid $120, $130, $140 and $150 and all were rejected. I know $120 is low, but it seems like Hyatt is in the $130-150 range so I don't want to overpay if I'm getting that one. I think my highest bid each day should be more like $180-210 so I can snag something nicer if it's available, so maybe I should just evenly space in that range, like $140 - 160 - 180 - 200. Any better ideas?

Also wondering, since I am about 3 weeks out, will the deals get better as we approach the date or is it more risky that the hotels will be booked and raise prices? I heard January is a popular time for travel to Hawaii.

...maybe I should just evenly space in that range, like $140 - 160 - 180 - 200. Any better ideas?
If you're willing to accept overbidding by up to $20/nite then this is a reasonable plan, but given just how much cheaper the Hyatt is for your dates vs. the other 4* hotels in the zone, i would resolve that the Hyatt would be a likely win from PRICELINE bidding and only increment by $5/day (as i think the odds of landing a different hotel are somewhat lower)
Also wondering, since I am about 3 weeks out, will the deals get better as we approach the date or is it more risky that the hotels will be booked and raise prices?
There is no telling if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your dates. It all depends how actual new bookings/cancellations come in relative to expected new booking/cancellations (which is obviously an unknown)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If I can't win a bid this weekend I will book the Hyatt through cancel-able means (about $237/nite before fees) so that will be my backup (assuming it is not booked up by the end of the weekend). Obviously I can't bid higher than that in case I still get the Hyatt. I think at $210 I will probably just stop and book through some other method so I can earn points or something, also cancel-able is worth something to me since weather could be an issue on departure where I live. I was emailed some nice express deals this morning, however. $174/nite for what was probably the Westin based on the amenities. Only problem is that it was only for 3 of my 4 nights. If I book 3 nights with priceline and buy the 4th retail, they will probably make me checkout and back in again right? Don't want to do that.

... Only problem is that it was only for 3 of my 4 nights. If I book 3 nights with priceline and buy the 4th retail, they will probably make me checkout and back in again right? Don't want to do that.

I've had split reservations like that before. If you tell the desk when you check in for the first date, they probably can make it seamless.

Romelle

If I book 3 nights with priceline and buy the 4th retail, they will probably make me checkout and back in again right?

If you let them know when you check-in that you have a separate, but continuous, reservation for an additional nite, you usually do have to go to go to the desk on 'switch day' in order to have them officially check-out and then check-in again... but rarely do you need to change rooms.

Since we are arriving very late on Friday anyway, I decided to just get a cheap place near the airport for the Friday night which is much more expensive in Lahaina. I bid 145-155-165. After 155 was given opportunity to raise price to $186, but that's kind of dumb since the express deal was $176. Thanks all and happy travels!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a nice deal at this property and now have this trip settled. Not clear if you already booked an airport hotel, but if not and you want to bid for that leg of the trip, feel free to start a NEW TOPIC.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Have a great Hawaiian vacation!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]