OGG - Ongoing Journey

networkwasher
By networkwasher,
in

I'm in the process of bidding to get a rental at OGG from September 2, 2014 - September 10, 2014 for my honeymoon. I will keep this thread updated with my bids, including all failed bids, to help anyone working to secure a car around this same time.

Bidding Date: 12/27/2013

Standard: $18/$19

Premium: $17/$19

Luxury: $18/$20

Result: UNSUCCESSFUL

Thanks for the welcome message!

It looks like the best prices for my desired classes, dates, and locations are as follows:

Standard: $532.29 Total, $130.06 in Taxes, $50.28/day Rental Cost

Premium: $646.25 Total, $152.20 in Taxes, $61.76/day Rental Cost

Luxury: $702.78 Total, $159.89 in Taxes, $67.86/day Rental Cost

Here's today's bid information:

Bidding Date: 12/29/2013

Standard: $17/$18

Premium: $18/$19

Luxury: $19/$21

Result: UNSUCCESSFUL

The "Special Offer" that Priceline provides upon unsuccessful bidding is a Premium Class car for $37/day. However, Priceline is also counting my dates as 9 days instead of 8+ 3 hours.

HOTWIRE has a Standard vehicle for $32/day ($423 all-in)... this is better than the best rate you're able to get above, but still quite a distance from the levels you have been bidding.

What would be your maximum bid for this rental at this time?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...I was hoping to get a bid accepted at or below $20/day.

This would be more than half of prevailing rates which is possible, but doesn't seem likely at this time (and even more unlikely given your previous rejections just a few dollars below $20). While we do sometimes see discounts on rental cars as more than 50% off, it's not the norm nor something that i would expect.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You might look at the individual days via the retail side of Priceline, or Hotwire, to see if any of your eight days are particularly high. This technique tends to come into play more with hotels, but there can be problem dates on rental cars also. I've actually seen a Florida rate drop just by moving from a morning pick-up to an afternoon pick-up. It could be that a shift of a few hours or a even a split rental would improve things.

You also are really really early. I'm sure for a honeymoon you want everything all lined out well ahead of time. But maybe you could find some company that allows cancellations, and make a cancelable back-up reservation. Then you could comfortably explore those lower rates to the last minute.

Check for bonus money in your Priceline profile. It appears randomly from time to time. If you happen to have an Entertainment Book, check that for a Priceline coupon. Every little bit helps.

Romelle

That looks to be about half of the rates you previously posted above which would be a very good deal, imo.

It may be tough to beat, but let us know if any changes to your reservation/purchase or if we can be of any help along the way.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]