Possible to get hotel's star rating lowered?

smorgan30
By smorgan30,
in

I am curious if anyone has any experience trying to get PRICELINE or HOTWIRE to reduce the star rating of a hotel? For example I have won a 3 star hotel in the past and been of the opinion that the hotel was really 2 or 2 1/2 at best, based on the run-down nature (funky smell, ragged carpeting, etc.) of the hotel. If any one has attempted this I'd love to know who they contacted and how and also what the result was.

I don't think a particular email will get a rating change, but there are certainly ratings changes that have taken place after the services have gotten continued complaints/negative reviews.

Is this for a property you recently won? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post a follow-up review under your original post for the property - thanks.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks Aaron...it was not for a recent property, just a situation I have encountered from time to time. I have never bothered leaving a priceline review on a hotel but based on what you posted it makes sense to leave a bad review if a hotel deserves it and then hope that other similar reviews will eventually lead to a downgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say there are def some over rated hotels but nothing that stands out EXCEPT in Orlando. I travel a lot and most of my stays now are Priceline Bids. Orlando is prob my #1 destination I frequent. Hotels here tend to be over inflated in general on the scale. As a rule I wont bid on anything lower then a 4* and with the Orlando prices there is no reason not to. I def let the Survey reflect the bad stay if I feel the hotel is overrated.

If the overrating is questionable though and maybe a half star off I try and rate it the same to keep the list here accurate.

I'm so frustrated with priceline's star rating. I believe they are running an illegal scam. They advertise that under name your own price that you will get a star rated hotel, regarding consumer feedback, of 8 or better. The last two hotels, Doubletree by Hilton in Livermiee, Ca and another hotel I cannot remember the name of, in Patterson, Ca were 7.4 and 6.? and they were rated as a 3.0 hotel. The Doubletree, formerly a Holiday Inn has pretty nice beds and a decent TV but this is one dirty dirty dirty hotel. The carpeting must be from the old Holiday Inn and looks 30 years old or worse. I threw away two pairs of white socks that were black on the bottom from walking in hallways and in my room. No refrigerator, microwave and the ice bucket barely fit one soda with ice to keep it cold. It is surrounded by 1 star hotels where the people staying at those hotels smoke and drink and are loud out by the pool all hours of the night. I was so frustrated I called Priceline and told them that this name your own price is a contract. In that contract I am responsible for a credit card which I acknowledge will be charged bid accepted amount and that it is non refundable if I change my mind, don't like the hotel etc.Priceline, under this 'contract' agrees to provide me an 8.0 rated hotel room. ..or better. TO ALL WHO USE PRICELINE NAME YOUR OWN PRICE: HERE IS WHAT THEY TOLD ME REGARDING CUSTOMER FEEDBACK STAR RATE...THEY DON'T USE IT. That's right. They do not consider consumer feedback. What they go by, according to priceline's own words, is Priceline reps who visit these hotels and their rating, not the actual consumers who stay at these hotels, is what they go by. So without creating a Novel here I think this bars on illegal. Its a contract and they promise certain things. But if the consumer cannot count on those certain things then the conteact is null and void. Try getting a refund for a 3.0 that's really a 2.0 at best or a 8.0 consumer rating that isn't even a consumer rate but is really a 6.4 or a 7.4 but in no way an 8.0 or better.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages.

Then if you have a recent win and/or an upcoming stay please share your win with the board in the appropriate state category so we can look exactly at the issue you're having an comment accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]