Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Lower East Side) Wyndham Garden Chinatown

Northern Voice
By Northern Voice,
in

Hello,

Last year around this time, my wife and I booked a 4 day trip to New York, we couldn't wait to get there, and then came the hurricane, wiping out power to both of our hotels and re-routing us to Montreal and Ottawa

Last year we split our stay and were able to get the W Hoboken for the first two days for $140, and the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour for the 2nd two days at $162/night.

As with last time, we are willing to stay in Hoboken, and were actually excited for the W, but this time around, it looks like those hotels are within a few dollars of the NYC ones.

We would like to be under $200/night again, and this time we are going with the added requirement of needing a fitness centre, which unfortunately eliminates the Priceline blind bids. I may see if this is really neccesary, since in looking at NYC hotels it looks like in most cases a "fitness centre" equates to one or two treadmills and an exercise bike.

I know priceline has NYC on an extra 10% off for the next week or so on their express deals, so we may go that route. With that in mind, there is currently a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for a 3* in Lower East Side on priceline that is $214 (so around 193 after the 10% discount) showing the amenities:

Free Internet

Restaurant

Business Centre

Fitness Centre

I am guessing this could be either the Best Western Bowery Hanbee or the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower east Side. I know there are some NYC experts on here and I'm curious how the LES area would be as a base for us. We'll be doing tourist stuff and have a concert to see at the Hammerstien Ballroom on October 22.

My guess for the LES property would be the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side... location-wise it's do-able but i think you can do substantially better for a similar price (or perhaps another $10-$20/nite more).

When will you know if a Fitness Center is a need or a want as this will give us a better idea of what options are available? Another option is you can stop into a local gym, tell them that you're moving to the area, and if you can try the gym for a week (or get a 4-5 day pass for a nominal fee... if the Fitness Center is a need based upon some training goal, it may be money well spent given how much more extensive the gym would likely be than the hotel fitness center. There are also YMCAs that you may be able to join for a week)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Alright, we're not going to worry about the fitness centre, we're just going to see what we can get in the 4* range for the best price.

It looks like there are only 2 rebid zones now for 4* NYC (Morningside Heights & Harlem). $211 would be our upper limit, since there is a 4 star Midtown East express deal, less the 10% discount that is currently on.

As with last time I'd prefer to bid for Chelsea, CPS, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW and TS up to my limit, then if rejected include Soho and UWS.

It looks like there are only 2 rebid zones now for 4* NYC (Morningside Heights & Harlem).

This is only one zone... are you able to determine your 2nd re-bid zone? If you're comfortable enough to move forward without confirming the other re-bid zones, you can bid as follows:

Select 4* Chelsea, CPS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, CPS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTW, TS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTW, ESB, MSG...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, CPS, TS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, CPS, TS, MSG...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, CPS, ESB, MSG, MTE...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, CPS, ESB, MSG, MTW...

Select 4* Chelsea, CPS, ESB, MSG, TS...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea, CPS...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea, ESB...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea, MSG...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea, CPS, ESB...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea, CPS, MSG...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea, CPS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210

Any questions feel free to ask. If the above is rejected you can close the browser, use our link to re-access PRICELINE, and repeat but add Soho and UWS to each bid.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS- please also follow-up your previous Hotwire Toronto thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip... even if you didn't use PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, canceled the trip, booked direct, etc.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If we decided to drop to a lower star rating, what do I need to know about the zones?

For example, I know last time I was warned about the 3.5 star rooms in MTE being far from the subway, and in CPS having the small rooms in the Hudson hotel, what further issues are there with 3 star hotels?

I've bid up to $200 unsuccessfully so the alternative is taking a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal, or hoping rates come down over the next month.

Lastly, how would SoHo, LES, the financial district and Upper West Side be as a base for a tourist. I know they're not as central, but our trip plans include the financial district, Greenwich village, Williamsburg (in addition to Times square, central park/ANMH), I think no matter where we stay we'll be using the subway. I've never been to New York before so I'm basing this off maps/planning. Thanks for the help!

If we decided to drop to a lower star rating, what do I need to know about the zones?
No caveats regarding the zones above at the 3.5* other than those you're already aware of/mentioned, but from what i'm seeing, i don't think you'll be savings much (if anything) by dropping from 4* to 3.5*.
Lastly, how would SoHo, LES, the financial district and Upper West Side be as a base for a tourist
Some people like Soho, but i'm not as much of a fan as that's not my style (can also be read i that have no style ;) ). While the subways can, and will, take you almost anywhere, to be 'central' is to have multiple subways lines nearby so that you can reduce the number of transfers as much as possible (it's not the subway rides that usually add time to your trip, but the wait time between transfers... which isn't to say that it's long, but a 5 minute wait time for a transfer increases an otherwise 10 minute trip by 50%). For a tourist that will be traveling throughout the city and mostly by subway, i'd suggest staying in midtown unless the savings are substantial (which in this instance they don't currently appear to be)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Thanks again, what if I drop to 3* in those more central zones, any specific red flags?

There is now a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal on priceline for $203 for a 3* times square hotel, pets allowed, restaurant and bed choice available showing.

Likewise there is a 3.5* Times Square for $204 on Hotwire showing

Pet friendly

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessibility

Accessible for the blind In-room accessibility Wheelchair accessible

Thanks again, what if I drop to 3* in those more central zones, any specific red flags?
I don't think you'll be savings any money by doing this, imo, and not worth the lower quality hotel(s).
Likewise there is a 3.5* Times Square for $204 on Hotwire showing

Pet friendly

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessibility

Accessible for the blind In-room accessibility Wheelchair accessible

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool, and then click the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

What is the average price for parking in NYC?

I notice there is a 2* Madison Square Garden-Hell's Kitchen property on Hotwire for $178. I'm continuing to bid every couple days on Priceline, but obviously have had no luck. Doing some research, it seems like this is likely the Travel Inn, which has excellent reviews on Tripadvisor.

Wondering on thoughts on this, if we want to direct more many towards activities and less to our hotel for this trip.

What is the average price for parking in NYC?

I notice there is a 2* Madison Square Garden-Hell's Kitchen property on Hotwire for $178. I'm continuing to bid every couple days on Priceline, but obviously have had no luck. Doing some research, it seems like this is likely the Travel Inn, which has excellent reviews on Tripadvisor.

Wondering on thoughts on this, if we want to direct more many towards activities and less to our hotel for this trip.

Parking is certainly not cheap at all - at most hotels I think you're probably looking at $50-60 or higher. Various lots/garages may be cheaper.

If you would like some help trying to ID/confirm the 2*, please provide the full list of amenities showing with the listing and we would be happy to take a look and try to ID the listing.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Using the EASY VIEW tab at BiddingHelper.com what is the full list of amenities that are associated with the hotel you're now considering?

I know the Travel Inn gets good reviews, but (imo) it gets good reviews for a what it is... a 2* budget hotel, so it all depends what you're looking for from your stay and you'll need to keep your expectations in check. I think if you removed the Free Parking from this hotel the reviews wouldn't be as positive, but with that said, the included parking to increase the value in the room rate per nite. In regards to parking in NYC, if you park on your own at a non-hotel garage you'll looking at $25-$35/day depending how much you're willing to drive around for the best deal.

Alright, we do typically stay at nicer hotels using HOTWIRE / PRICELINE, so I'm going to keep trying before I drop to the Travel Inn.

I see a 4* Hells's Kitchen/MSG Area one for $220 on Hotwire, I'm guessing this would be the New Yorker?

Shows:

Free Internet

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

Also, thoughts on staying in Greenpoint/Williamsburg? It looks to me like on the other side of the bridge it's all dependent on where you are in relation to the Subway. There's a 3* there for $191 showing:

Free Parking

Free Internet

Boutique Hotel

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

Accessibility

Based on the boutique/free parking/fitness centre, I think this is likely the Box House Hotel, any opinion on this as a base?

Best guess for the MSG-HK property would be the New Yorker Ramada Plaza.

For the Greenpoint property is the full list of amenities:

Free Parking

Free Internet

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Travel Accessible

... if so then the Box House Hotel would be my best guess for this one.

While i don't know much about this particular location, Greenspoint/Williamsburg is a desirable area to live now (it used to be a very affordable alternative to Manhattan but as it has grown in popularity it has priced many out of this market as well)... but the big question is if the savings are worth staying outside of Manhattan. I will add that you should look at the pics of the rooms as they may not be everyone's style (although it is mine)

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4.5* hotel for $229/nite for 10/19-10/21 (The Palace??)... then for 10/21-10/23 HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in Chelsea for $247/nite (Doubletree Chelsea??)

Let us know what you decide or how we can be of further help.

It's curious to me that the Monday/Tuesday nights seem to be more expensive than the Saturday/Sunday portion.

This is normal for NYC as prices are usually a little less expensive on the weekends vs. midweek. During the week there are both tourists and business travelers, where as during the weekend it's mostly tourists... so less demand on weekends usually translates to lower prices. ;) Along these lines, Sundays are typically the least expensive nite of the week (in almost all hotel markets) as the leisure travelers have already gone home and the business travelers have not yet arrived.

Keeps us updated on your progress.

I've bid up to $230 on 4*, $215 on 3.5* and $205 on 3* and also expanded to include all Manhattan zones CPS, Chelsea, LES, Soho, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, HK, TS, CPS, UWS, UES, still with no luck.

I'm considering a couple HOTWIRE options at this point. There's a 3* Times Square for $205 for the 4 days - shows Smoke free, fitness centre, restaurants and high speed internet, which does little to narrow it down. It looks like the Washington Jefferson has been reported with these specific amenities before but all 4 in that zone have those features.

I'm also considering splitting.

There is a 4* Midtown East for $184 for the first two days 10/19-10/21. It shows:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

I'm thinking this may be the Roosevelt or Doubletree Metropolitan

There isn't an obvious choice for the 10/21-10/23 portion of the trip though. The 4* hotels are all over $250 and to get near $200, they're mostly 2*, so the best option may be the 3* Central Park West for $210 showing:

Free Internet

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Would the Empire be a good guess for this one?

I may keep waiting and hope I can find a lower price on either a 4* for all 4 days or a 4* to pair with the Hotwire deal for the first two days.

I'm thinking this may be the Roosevelt or Doubletree Metropolitan
My guess would be the Roosevelt.
Would the Empire be a good guess for this one?
My guess would be the Hotel Belleclaire.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]