Priceline Hotel: 4* Memphis (Downtown) The Peabody Memphis

zimbo
By zimbo,
in

• 2 months later...

A post script to this booking. The hotel information on the Priceline site for this hotel states the following: "The 464 rooms on 12 floors are large and restful. All include ... free Wi-Fi and a free newspaper each morning."

This is not true. Upon arrival I was advised that there was in-room Wi-Fi and a choice of newspaper but this was provided to guests via a daily Hotel Service Fee of $11.95. This is in addition to whatever your room rate is. I said I did not want either service but was told that the Service Fee was not optional. Upon complaining it was made clear that unless I agreed to pay it my booking would be forfeit. So whatever you agree to pay via Priceline (or Hotwire) is not your actual room rate.

Resort fees are always additional, payable directly to the hotel, and not included in your room rate. While in a perfect world all mandatory fees would be included in the room rate, that is not the path the hotel industry and followed, and resort fees are are become more and more pervasive. It's within PRICELINE / HOTWIRE terms when you make the a purchase that you agree that any resort fees will be extra and payable directly to the hotel.

Hope you otherwise enjoyed your trip... thanks for the follow-up.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What I object to is that a 'resort fee' was not even made clear after getting the booking. There's nothing I could have done about it because I'd won the bid, but it's just plain 'wrong' to add such charges on (and I've never come across this before, and I've travelled extensively on business - and for pleasure - for 30-plus years) - who's to say such a fee won't be $40 a day instead of "just" $12? No response needed, but I'm going to be posting some less than positive reviews about the Peabody on review sites.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]