Priceline Hotel: 3.5* or 4* San Francisco Fishermans Wharf

zimbo
By zimbo,
in

Hi,

First time using Priceline/Hotwire but done my reading around the forums and ready to bid, now looking for some guidance on a starting, plus likely 'win', price for Priceline on the above dates please, 3 nights. I'd like to stay around the Wharf.

I'm looking at Hotwire as well and they have a 3* at $195, two 4* at $240 and $270 (but no 3.5* listed). Would I likely get something cheaper via Priceline?

Thanks...

Cheap as possible for 3.5*... :) Not having used Priceline before I've no idea what's realistic: with Hotwire you can obviously see and compare prices to decide.

However I'm going to change my criteria as I've just seen someone get the Adagio for $95, the Hilton for $150 and Le Meridien for $130 - all of which are 4* - and as SF is a reasonably compact city from what I remember i.e. you can get around on foot reasonably easily, paying $200 (or more) just to stay at FW seems a bit over the top.

So how would I go about trying for a 4* in Union Square East, Union Square West - Nob Hill, FW and Financial District - Embarcadero (in that order of preference)? Is $100-130 a realistic win price?

Would I use something like thereuare listed in #12 of this priceline bidding strategy? But maybe start off with one zone, then add another etc? If so, what's a good (low!) starting price for my dates?

(PS. Should/can I change the thread title as I've widened my search?)

Just as you realize that the USE/USW zone may be just as convenient as the FW zone and you can consider USE/USW for possible savings.. hotels realize this too! If rates are expensive in the FW zone, then USE/USW hotels:

1) likely effected by the same demand and adjust their prices accordingly

2) even if not strong demand at their own property, they know that they may be a viable less expensive alternative, and adjust their prices accordingly to a point where they are cheaper than FW but more then they would otherwise charge given the demand/occupancy levels they are seeing at their own property

Rates are date specific, and the rates you posted above are (i'm assuming) for dates different then your own. We would of course start lower and gradually increase the bid price, but i believe you're likely looking at something in the $190-$210 area for a 3.5* hotel or better in one of the zones you have listed above.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

PS- i did find the Club Quarters offered for $209/nite for your dates and is refundable up until a few days before your trip (always double check the cancellation policy during the check-out process)... this may be a good back-up while you continue to bid lower on PRICELINE or wait it out in hopes of lower prices in the weeks ahead (but also locks you in at this price should rates move higher from here)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, different dates but I'm intrigued by the Adagio price at $95 for late November - can you recall what the strategy was for morganmorgan to get it at that price? Seems a real low price and would be v. happy to get something similar.

I'm coming across from the UK so I have travel insurance in place already, so if anything happened to prevent me travelling (illness etc) then I can make a claim, so a refundable deal is not a high priority.

So I'd go for Union Square East, Union Square West - Nob Hill, FW and Financial District - Embarcadero, in that order of preference, for as low a win price as possible! :)

As I've got a couple of months before staying, let's start with 4* only for now and see what turns up.

The idea of a refundable back-up isn't so that you're not committed to the dates, the purpose is to protect you from rate increases going forward... while you're continuing to try PRICELINE rates could increase, if you have a back-up reservation you're in at the (current) lower rates, if you don't make a back-up, then you're subject to further rate increases.

I assume that price is more important then zone, in the sense that you are not willing to pay more for your first choice of zone vs. second choice vs. third choice etc... but rather your goal is the least expensive 4* or better in any of your acceptable zones?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So we don't suggest a strategy that goes higher then you're willing to pay, what is your maximum bid? If you intend to use the $130 figure you mentioned above, i'm fairly confident that at current rates that is not going to be enough for a 4* hotel for your dates.

Well I did ask "is $130 realistic" and you replied more likely $190-210, but I guess I'm a little confused as to how some folks have recently got 4* at $95, $130 and $150 if you don't suggest a strategy which starts that low. Whatever, happy to take your guidance: let's make $210 the max bid and see what happens.

... I guess I'm a little confused as to how some folks have recently got 4* at $95, $130 and $150 if you don't suggest a strategy which starts that low.

Rates are date specific based upon supply and demand (occupancy levels at the hotel). Bidding strategies are customized for the dates of the stay, and if $95, $130, or $150 have a chance we will suggest starting that low (or lower)... but current rates for your dates are higher and under $130 is not likely.

You are bidding enough zones so that we can start very low (at $120 or less) just to confirm that won't be enough for your dates. So to confirm:

A 4* in the USE, USW, FW, or Financial District with a maximum bid of $210/nite.

When bidding 4* in San Francisco you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* USE and USW...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* FW and Financial...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and FW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USW and Financial...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and Financial...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* FW and USW...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and USW and FW...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and USW and Financial...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* FW and Financial and USE...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* FW and Financial and USW...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and USW and FW and Financial...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Select 4* USE and USW and FW and Financial...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210

...snip...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Didn't work. I then added 3.5* and started again at $140, went all the way up to $198 with re-bids, again nothing. I know there are only 5 re-bid zones for 3.5*. Also, I found some poor reviews of the Warwick which put me off so I removed USW from the list, just trying USE and FW and Financial. What do you think I might have to bid to get a 3.5* (I think a 4* is out of budget now is $210 won't win)?

After spending a few hours on this today I decided to look at HOTWIRE as well. I know it's the wrong forum but to save opening another thread, there's a 3* FW hotel for $200, amenities of 'Pet friendly, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center' with an 85% recommended rate from Hotwire reviews. I think this might be the Holiday Inn but Hotwire don't have a 3.5* rating for secret hotels, so could it be a 3.5* like the Hilton or Best Western? Any ideas?

There's a 4* in USW for $192 for these date/s on HOTWIRE, unfortunately rates are on the high side for these date/s. A property at the 3.5* level in USE/FW/Financial is unfortunately also going to be expensive - I'd start at $150 and work higher by $5's.

HOTWIRE does offer hotels at the 3.5* level. For the HOTWIRE listing, If you go back to HOTWIRE and click this offer from the search results page, then on the ensuing page click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've posted above?

Please let us know any questions before bidding/booking.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

There's a 4* in USW for $192 for these date/s on HOTWIRE, unfortunately rates are on the high side for these date/s.
I think that hotel is the Clift and it's got some very varied reviews on TripAdvisor from 'OK' to 'never stay here again'. The Warwick is also in USW and I don't want to stay there; too many poor reviews of outdated decor plus no air con in rooms, hence now omitting USW on Priceline.
A property at the 3.5* level in USE/FW/Financial is unfortunately also going to be expensive - I'd start at $150 and work higher by $5's.

Already done that: got as high as $198 without anything. How high do you think I would have to go for a 3.5*?

Ditto my 4*, stopped at $210 - how much higher would it take to win that?

HOTWIRE does offer hotels at the 3.5* level. For the HOTWIRE listing, If you go back to HOTWIRE and click this offer from the search results page, then on the ensuing page click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've posted above?
Sorry, don't follow your instructions: 'click this offer' - which offer? The link you provided just takes me to the Hotwire search page. If I enter my dates, when I try to narrow by star rating I only see 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars, there is no 3.5*. How can I find 3.5*?

For the 3*, the full list of amenities is:

3-star Hotel in Fisherman's Wharf

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Pet friendly

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Best guess for the 3* FW property would be the Holiday Inn Fishermans Wharf.

A 4* or 3.5 in one of the 3 zones you're willing to bid looks like it would be $210-$225.

Let us know how you would like to proceed and we will advise accordingly.

A 4* or 3.5 in one of the 3 zones you're willing to bid looks like it would be $210-$225.

$225 failed. If you think $225 should succeed, is it worth waiting a few days to try again? I assume prices can come down or new deals can get added...?

(Decided against the Holiday Inn, too many complaints about the fact the hotel is split into two sites and everyone who gets put in the 'off-site' location complains, and you have no choice or say which building you get put in.)

EDIT: just checked Hotwire: there's a 4* in Financial for £146 / $219 with amenities of Pet friendly, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access - any ideas?

Plus, maybe better in terms of knowing what I'm booking, I can get the 4* Westin on Market Street as a standard hotel for £154 / $230. This seems like a good deal as they claim it's normally about $325. Thoughts?

Please change the drop down menu on the top right of HOTWIRE's page to United States and the currency dropdown to US Dollars. Then continue to search HOTWIRE and post to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation due to future currency fluctuation. Once you're ready to purchase stay on the US version of their site and simply change the drop down menu to whatever currency you'd like to use and complete your purchase.

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* in The Financial District for $227/nite.

Are you seeing additional accessible amenities with the HOTWIRE listing? If so, please provide the full list of amenities - thanks.

I'm seeing the Express Deals listing for $227 w/pet friendly business and fitness. The amenity set would match the Hilton Financial and the Hotel Vitale, but I'd think it's far more likely the Hilton out of the two.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks to all for your help with this but I've now booked the Westin via Expedia; the deal was in UK pounds but approximated to $230 so it was in my ballpark and I had the knowledge of exactly where I would be staying, plus I've spent hours (literally) on Priceline and Hotwire trying to get a good deal with no luck and was getting a bit fed up with it all! Appreciate this was not your fault as it appears my dates are expensive but I wasn't willing to pay top dollar (but $230 is not exactly cheap... :o ) and I'm happy with the deal I got.

And yes, I did use your Expedia link on the Support page. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]