Hotwire Hotel: 3* Pittsburgh (Oakland) Wyndham Pittsburgh

VegasChick
By VegasChick,
in

Hello all,

I have used this board for quite some time with success. I am a little confused as to how to approach bidding for Sept 20-23 in downtown or Green Tree areas of Pittsburgh. I'd like to be close to everything but I don't really care which hotel. I'm wondering if Priceline will even work as it is Sunday Night Football and apparently on the 24 th there is some huge summit in Pittsburgh. Any suggestions? I would much rather spend less and be able to do more. I'm not opposed to other areas if there is good train or public transportation access. I just don't know the city well enough. Thanks.

Using PRICELINE EXPRESS as an example, there is a 3.5* Downtown hotel for $235/nite and a 1* Greenetree hotel for $90/nite... assuming that the Downtown property could be had for ~$200 (not always the case, but need to get a feel for what you're really looking for here since you mention 'any star rating') would you prefer a 3.5* hotel in the DT zone for $200 OR a 1* hotel in Greentree for under $90/nite? (as the two would each provide very different experiences and prices)

Also, since SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option, i do think you can stay under $200/nite and stay Downtown if you're willing to change hotels after Friday nite. (ie - $140/Friday nite + $225/Sat+Sun nites = $190/nite average)

Also, why Green Tree? I'm not that familiar with Pittsburgh (been there once about 6-7 years ago) and i would think that North Shore - Stadiums would get you closer to and more accessible to Downtown then Green Tree.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I said any star rating because at this point I'd just like to be in a good area for the whole experience. I want to be able to hang out with other Bears fans. I was looking at posts on Tripadvisor and it seems like people choose the Green Tree area as an alternate to downtown and some places have shuttles in Green Tree. I was hoping for good public transportation from the airport area into downtown which would have saved a lot but there isn't a train or anything convenient. I'm not opposed to another area like North Shore if its close to downtown and a lot cheaper, I just didn't know. It may be worth it cabbing it from there. I'm a walker too so not afraid to hoof it a little more.

I'm all up for splitting my bid.

I think the first thing you need to do is decide what you really want for this stay. If price was not an object i assume that Downtown would be the first/best choice? With this noted, and your willingness to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, i do think you can be successful within your stated budget $200 for 'good' hotels in the downtown area (3.5* and higher rated).

So from here it's a question of whether you are really willing to to spend $200/nite (average) for this trip for the convenience of staying Downtown and being able to walk to the stadium... or if you want to try and save some money by staying outside of the area and then figuring out your transportation options.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 3.5* in Pittsburgh you have THIRTEEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

You could try the strategy above first at the 4* level, if that is rejected then re-try at the 3.5* level.

If that is rejected, do you want to then try SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID where you can get a 3.5* or 4* for the first nite of your stay, and a 3.5* for the last two nites of your stay, at an average price of less then $200?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Using your PRICELINE link, I bid as laid out below using the many rebid zones. Unfortunately I did not have my bid accepted or countered. Looks like downtown is not going to work out. Plan B for me is to get a decent room, 3 stars or above, in a nearby area. And like I said in an earlier post, I'm not too knowledgeable about all of these areas. For Priceline it looks like map wise North Shore, South Side and University Center seem close. I'm not sure what which area has to offer but if it is close to everything it doesn't really matter.

I should also mention I was only bidding for that Saturday and Sunday for the above downtown bidding because I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to stay somewhere else Friday.

Bump this thread sometime tomorrow and i'll re-visit this... some of the hotel inventory i saw earlier today which would make this trip work and have you still stay Downtown is not currently offered, so we'll see if the inventory becomes available again and take it from there.

The North Shore-Stadiums zone will get you closer to Heinz Field... if you end up on the eastern edge of the South Side zone it looks like it could be about 3 miles to Heinz Field, would this be acceptable? (similar regarding University Center zone)

Are both/either of these zones acceptable? What star rating would you like to try for first? Do you want to try for the complete stay OR only 9/21-9/23 since you're assuming the Friday nite of 9/20 shouldn't be an issue?

I will add that the Quality Inn University Center has a $126/nite rate for your complete stay and is fully refundable up until the day before your arrival... perhaps you could use this as a back-up option while you continue to try bidding on PRICELINE and searching HOTWIRE? (the reviews seem very mixed, but this may make a good back-up option if you don't really need much and budget is important, as well, the hotel offers local shuttle service but i'm not sure (doubtful??) if this would include Heinz Field on game day... but perhaps get you close enough to a bus stop toward 'downtown' or the field?)

Both areas would be acceptable for us. Three miles would be okay. It gets us in the general area and we can always cab it for a low fare if needed. I think the back up reservation sounds good too, since it is refundable.

I was looking at the Priceline list for both areas, looks like 3 stars is a good place to start. If it doesn't work out I would be okay with 2 stars. On a trip like this with prices so high you just have to be flexible.

I will try for the complete stay first for these areas, and if needed I can then split. Thanks.

Both areas would be acceptable for us.

There are actually three zones (in addition to Downtown) discussed above...

North Shore - Stadiums

South Side

University Center

... are all THREE of these acceptable?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

When bidding 3* in Pittsburgh you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* University and Downtown...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* South Side and North Shore...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* University and North Shore...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Downtown and South Side...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* University and North Shore and South Side...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* University and North Shore and Downtown...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* University and North Shore and South Side and Downtown...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

If the above is rejected HOTWIRE has a 3* hotel offered in the Oakland-Pittsburgh Southside zone for $170/nite with:

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Shuttle

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... best guess for this one would be the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center and you can take this should the bidding above up to $170 be rejected.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

It was quite a day of bidding without having any bids accepted. This is a first for me, and probably something you don't often experience either. I am wondering if I should lower my standards and go for two stars in the surrounding areas or if I should bite the bullet and book with Hotwire. The safety reservation at Quality Inn, when I went to book, was unavailable. There is also Greentree, even though it is less favorable than other areas, that might hold some good deals. Don't worry, I'm definitely using your links for my searches. I will let you know how it turns out.

Sorry to hear your bidding to date has so far not been successful. We do sometimes see dates as difficult as this one appears to be, almost always when special events are taking place in the area.

I think the question is if you want to go up to $200 at this point, since that was your original budget, but the above stopped at $170 on the basis that the HOTWIRE offer was available.

What about the Hampton Inn University Center for $189(non-refundable) or $222(refundable)

I edited my post, I meant to say South Side. The amenities are free parking, free Internet and fitness center. Hotwire 65% satisfaction and 3/5 on Tripadvisor.

I was starting to bid on 2 stars using different combinations with two rebid zones. For downtown and North Shore I got as high as 140, then did just those two areas with split bids for the last 2 days as high as 175. All rejected. I got as high as 130 for University Center and even tried Green Tree as high as 115. I stopped because I was wondering about the Hotwire 2 star that's available. I didn't want to overbid on PL for something that may be available cheaper on HOTWIRE.

If you go back to HOTWIRE and click this offer, then on the ensuing page click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've posted above? I'm seeing a 3* hotel in this zone with:

Free Parking

Free Internet

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Handicapped Parking

... my best guess for this one would be the Quality Inn University Center.

I'm also seeing a 3* in this zone for $168/nnite with:

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Shuttle

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... my best guess here would be the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center,

You can read reviews of each, see if either is a common hotel for Steeler fans, which may have better transportation or shuttle options, etc.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

You won't believe this, but when I entered in my CC info for the 2 star and clicked enter a message came up that availability changes often and the room is no longer available! For the one you thought was Quality Inn. I've been to Las Vegas for New Years, been to high demand Spring Break locations etc and have never experienced something like this. I'm going to regroup with a stiff drink!

If you go back to HOTWIRE and click this offer, then on the ensuing page click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've posted above? I'm seeing a 3* hotel in this zone with:

Free Parking

Free Internet

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Handicapped Parking

... my best guess for this one would be the Quality Inn University Center.

I'm also seeing a 3* in this zone for $168/nnite with:

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Shuttle

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... my best guess here would be the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center,

You can read reviews of each, see if either is a common hotel for Steeler fans, which may have better transportation or shuttle options, etc.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]