Priceline Hotel: 3.5* DC (Crystal City) Marriott Crystal Gateway

jo-k
By jo-k,
in

Used the PRICELINE link.

Had a rough time with Priceline tonight - not sure what's happening that week, but may be back to school shenanigans + some hot activities happening that weekend?

Anyways. This post goes all over the place...

Started off with: Capitol Hill - Convention Center 3.5*

$52 - fail,

rebid, added Capitol Hill - South 3.5*

$54 - fail,

rebid, added a series of Dupont Circle (bid @ $56/3.5*), Georgetown Foggy Bottom (bid @ $58/3.5*), White House Downtown (bid @ $60/3.5*) each with a $2 increment. I really wanted to get Capitol Hill - Convention Centre for under $60.

Decided to re-strategize. Added star level after White House Downtown bid fail at $60 and increase by a few more dollars.

$67 @ 3.5 + 3* - fail!!

Unbelievable.

Finally decided that we won't be able to stay in downtown Washington with our price range.

THEN tried for Arlington 4* with the same bidding strategy - kept 4* rating, but added all the downtown properties and kept the price increment at $2 starting from $52.

Can you believe - no success for 4* bid in Arlington for $67? I had seen a poster do $45 for a 4* in Arlington for June I believe. Not sure why September is so much more expensive.

Finally new bidding strategy - tried for Crystal City, ended up with this 3.5* Marriott Crystal Gateway @ $60, but only after starting at a bid of $55 (fail at 3.5*), $57 (fail at 3.5*) and then success at $60.

For this hotel and star rating, we would have wanted to pay in the $45-$55 price range, but I guess beggars can't be choosers! Oh well, the trip will still be fun and the Marriott's had a lot of good reviews, so at the end of the day, no biggie. It's also a close 5 minute walk from the Crystal City Metro, which is how we're getting around.

Any tips or advice for bidding strategy next time? Did mine make sense?

Thanks for your help.

Congratulations on your success!

DC is an event driven market... any number of events can easily effect hotel rates: conventions, government meetings, congress in session, large rallies or protests, etc, etc. Rates are not that high for your dates, but your bid prices are near the very low end of what is typically accepted, and such rates may only be available on the slowest of dates. While current rates dont' reflect anything major happening, there might be a fewer smaller events taking place that make the lowest of rates not possible.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]