Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Minneapolis - St. Paul (Bloomington West - Mall of America Area) La Quinta Inn And Suites Minneapolis-Bloomington West

purplepat
By purplepat,
in

Going to Minneapolis for the Minnesota Vikings home opener on Sept 22nd. When I go there, I either like to stay out by the Mall of America or Downtown Minneapolis. Hotels out by the MOA usually have a free shuttle bus to the Airport or MOA. The MOA is the hub for the Metro Bus service and the Hiawatha Light Rail line, which I use to get downtown to the stadium (and other points). Doing this, I almost never need a rental car.

Looked at PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals. They listed a 2.5 star property in the Bloomington West MOA area for $45 a night plus taxes/fees. Better Bidding's PRICELINE Hotel List for that area shows only two 2.5 star properties in that area, amenities matched up to the La Quinta Inn and Suites. Also checked out Hotwire and (with info from Better Bidding and the hotels websites) found the La Quinta ($48 + T/F), as well as a deal on the downtown Crowne Plaza Northstar ($62 +T/F). Great deal on a downtown hotel, but they charge $10+ daily for in-room internet, and there's no free breakfast. So I'd prefer the amenties at the La Quinta, but the location, convenience and luxury of the Crowne Plaza. I'd be delighted with either property. I thought about just buying the Express Deal outright, but suspected I could beat it using "Name My Own Price", so I set out to try that.

PRICELINE said average rate for a 2.5 star in Bloomington West for my dates was $69. So I started off at roughly half of that ($35) for a 2.5 star in Bloomington West and was rejected. There is only one 2.5 star property downtown, Towneplace Suites, that I would have also been happy getting, and it would be sweet to get the Crowne Plaza for a song. Added Downtown Minneapolis and increased bid to $37 and was rejected. Getting tougher. Looked at the Better Bidding Priceline Hotel List in each Minneapolis area. Fridley showed no hotels above a 2 star, so I added the Fridley area and increased my bid to $39; rejected again. I could have waited 24 hours to bid again, but I'm a gambling man. Plenty of 2.5 and 3.0 star decent properties in the Bloomington East MOA area, though not sure I'd like any of the 2.5 star properties as well as the La Quinta (which has an indoor pool-important to my 7 year old, as well as free breakfast, free internet, new flat screen TVs with HD channels, and well reviewed to boot). But the 2.5 star Bloomington East property offered by PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals was priced at $59, so I had reason to suspect that I'd win the La Quinta with a lowball bid over the 2.5 star Bloomington East property. So I gambled and added the Bloomington East MOA area and increased my bid to $40. Voila, I was successful and won the La Quinta Inn and Suites in Bloomington West. Used the Priceline coupon code 'SUMMER' to save 5%, total for two nights was $95.44, which saved me $12.50 over the Express Deal total price.

Amenities listed (on the Express Deals) were Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Free Parking, Pets Allowed, Airport Shuttle, Business Center, Fitness Center.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]