Priceline Hotel: 3* Virginia Beach (Chesapeake - Greenbrier) Aloft Chesapeake

Discernment
By Discernment,
in

I was shooting for something towards Virginia Beach the day before travel and selected three areas via Priceline: Greenbrier, Lynbrook, Seaside (or Beach) may have been the third area. My first bid with 3.5 stars and $68 per night for 2 nights was not accepted so I increased it to $75 and decreased the stars to 3. I had read somewhere to stay three stars and up for a more comfortable hotel, but perhaps this is less valid when competing for beach hotel rooms. The rooms on the beach are far more available and affordable at the two star level. I had seen the Aloft for $80. so I figured the Aloft might accept. I think after 11 p.m. the rates seem to reduce, so if I wanted the beach, I should have waited just a little longer. This suits our budget and our plans; the hotel has good reviews so we are happy campers.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're pleased with the results and looking forward to your arrival. Unless your plans were not firm, i don't think there is much to gain by bidding at the very last minute as you did, and in fact it can be detrimental, as it can force you to simultaneously lower your star rating and increase your bid (like you did) which is not recommended, as per this Priceline Bidding Tips thread.

Also, you didn't need to lower your star rating and increase your bid, as you did have FIVE re-bid zones available at the 3.5* level (and three re-bid zones at the 3* level). If you're not familiar with re-bidding see this Priceline Re-Bidding Explained thread and feel free to ask question and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding (highly recommended if you're new to the concept)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Thank you! Thank you! Ouch! Ohh those beginner's mistakes, but you are absolutely right, there was no need to lower my star rating and increase my bid. Most of my travel tends to be last minute but I did play around with dates and saw if ever I can actually project a trip date, the earlier I can bid, the better the prices are likely to be. Thank you for taking the time to patiently explain this and possibly save myself and others from spending more than necessary or being disappointed. Great Site!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]