Priceline Hotel: 3-4* Manhattan 10/7-10/11

asc
By asc,
in

First timer in need of strategy for 4 night stay 10/7 -10/11. I know this is an expensive weekend, but have seen prices dropping on official hotel pages. i.e Crowne Plaza $219, Quality Times Square $234

Yesterday Hotwire had what appeared to be the Hudson for $193, but that disappeared within 18 hrs...

I will be bidding this evening with my girlfriend, so I'd like to start reasonably low, as we will be able to do back to back bidding sessions tonight.

Anywhere in midtown is fine.

Thanks for the help.

Probably $200. Since there will be two of us able to bid in succession I'd like to get the best deal I can. Maybe limit the first try to 175-185 range, then go up to or just over $200 on the second round. What do you think? Any advice on how to optimize the two sessions?

Also - I want to make sure I have the rebid zones right:

Upper E and Upper W for 4*

Upper W for 3*?

Also, I guess my preferred order of location is MTS,MTW,MTE,UM/CPS.... don't know if that influences anything....

Two re-bids at the 4* level in NYC....

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

If the above fails when you're eligible for another bid, you can repeat the above, but increase each bid by $40 (stopping at your maximum of $210)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your PM suggests that price is more important than star rating, so you have one re-bid zone and i would bid as follows:

One re-bid at the 3* level in NYC....

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS...

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS and UM/CPS and MTE...

Select 3* MTS and UM/CPS and MTW...

Select 3* MTE and MTW and MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

If the above fails when you're eligible for another bid, you can repeat the above, but increase each bid by $40 (starting at $180)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unsuccessful following the outlined strategies. Tried 4* from $140-$180, then $180 - $220. Then 3*.

At 3* bid of $210 for all areas I was offered a free rebid of $235. I decided to try my last re-bid zone attempt for $220 instead and was declined.

I'm now considering my options and will update my results of Saturday's next attempt.

Thanks for the great help so far.

btw - all bids were linked through savingsbarn :)

I'm not saying that you should do it (although i would... if i could convince my wife :) ), but the 'no car' aspect is a non-issue. Taxis are easily hailed in NYC and fairly inexpensive.

I would shower and get dressed as the first hotel and then:

1) have that hotel store may bags, go out in the city and do whatever it is i wanted to do, then pick up my bags and head to new hotel

2) drop my bags off at the new hotel and have them store them if a room is not available, do whatever i wanted in the city, return the 'new' hotel

... but changing hotels is something you (and your girlfriend) have to be comfortable with.

Well I now have reservations at the Helmsley for $235 a night, cancellable for $15. I still plan to try priceline again tomorrow when my next bidding session is available. I will retry the above strategies stopping at about $200 or just over, as I would rather keep the Helmsley than spend about the same for an unknown.

I tried the outlined strategies once more, from 180- $210. No luck. So I will be staying at the New York Helmsley for $235.

Thanks for all the help - I will be sure to come back for my next booking, and continue to use any support links in the future!! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]