Priceline Hotel: Looking for Boston 8/9-8/12

cunparis
By cunparis,
in

Hi,

I'm looking for a Boston hotel August 9-12 (3 nights). We have 2 adults and 2 kids 5 & 7 years old, and one 7 month old baby. We have a portable baby bed for the baby so when I put the number of guests I put 4 otherwise they always try to get us to take 2 rooms.

We're not sure where to stay. On hotwire (via the links here) we see waterfront is cheapest followed by quincy market and theater district. The last and only time I was in boston we took a comfort in for $89 near braintree and rode the train into town. I just looked at those hotels are over $120-$140 so I think hotwire's price of $157 for waterfront area is a better deal. But I think we'll have to pay $30/day parking right?

I'm open to suggestions at this point. With young kids it'd be nice to be in the center so we can take a short metro ride to the hotel and relax. If we stay outside we'd drive to the subway, take that into town, and stay most of the day and then go back home. I'm not sure which is best.. this is part of a bigger trip so if we can save money staying outside that's fine but having to drive to the subway it ends up taking time. I guess what I'm saying is a hotel within walking distance of subway would be best for us, even if we have a 15-30 min ride.

Thanks for your help.

What would be your desired star rating/budget per night for this stay? How many cities are you vising during this trip? Parking rates are going to be high in the central areas of Boston (quite likely over $30) - would that effect your choice in terms of staying inside/outside the city? With 4 people, I would suggest using HOTWIRE instead of PRICELINE, as with HOTWIRE you can indicate four people and get some form of bedding for the entire party vs PRICELINE, which only guarantees double occupancy/one bed.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

With children convenience is always a factor and personally i'd try to stay in the city if you're able to manage it within your budget (and it won't detract from activities you're able to do during your trip).

The Waterfront zone is a bit outside of 'center' and is serviced by the Silver line, which is more like a bus in an underground tunnel than an actual train, but it gets the job done. At the same price point as the Waterfront property ($157/nite) you may want to consider a 3.5* in the Boston Common zone ($158/nite) which would give you a better/more convenient location.

Since you're traveling over a weekend parking rates in cities often drops substantially... i did find this parking garage that looks like it's $9/day on weekends (might want to confirm if you need to move your car daily to get the rate and/or what happens if you don't leave until Monday... not sure how they will split up the rate)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

If it's the same price then it sounds like boston common zone is more interesting for us. I think with kids being in the city center is worth it. Last time we stayed in quincy it took a lot of time to get from hotel to downtown via the train. with kids we'd like to be able to quickly go back to the room to rest, take a break, etc.

So how can I bid for this on priceline and try to beat the $158/night price of hotwire? Is it beatable? I've had great luck with priceline in the past, in fact I've always booked hotels through priceline (using your links!), I've never gotten a hotel from hotwire.

As I said in my other thread, we would like to have 2 beds.. worst case kids can sleep on the floor. it's only for 3 nights. Unless the hotel wouldn't allow it and then we'd be in a a bit of trouble. :) Our baby has a portable bed that he uses so he's good.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for late reply, we just got back from another trip.

PPS: $30/day parking is outrageous but we're prepared for it. $9/day on weekend is nice but it'd require gymnastics because we arrive friday night and leave monday so I'm not sure it'd be cheaper overall.

The 3.5* Boston Common hotel appears for $151/nite whether searching for 2adults/0chidren or 2adults/2children. Given that you'll actually be FIVE people in the room, how much would you need to save from this rate by bidding on PRICELINE for double occupancy to take the risk of having occupancy issues? Let us know and we'll use this figure as your maximum bid.

Also, is the Boston Common zone the only one that you're willing to accept or are there others can can include in the bidding in order to increase the number of bidding opportunities.

NOTE regarding parking, often garages will have a $xx rate per 24 hours starting Friday nite and ending Monday morning... if you leave after Monday morning some will still apply the weekend rate for that part of the fee and then add-on on mid-week rates starting Monday morning... others will recalculate the entire fee based upon your exit time, so you may want to inquire, it may only require you to move the car once sometime Sunday nite/Monday morning... or possibly not at all.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since we'd arrive late evening in Boston, we decided to just spend the first night in Plymouth. So our dates will be 8/10-8/12 for 2 nights. That makes it a lot cheaper. Boston is expensive!

The $156 doesn't bother me, but adding taxes and $30/day parking.. it comes out to be $215/night total. and then reading reviews of the double tree (which seems more likely based on the amenities, you don't even get wifi in the room you have to pay $13/night for that. This is why I really prefer comfort inn, super 8, etc. over these fancy hotels. But in the city center we don't have much choice. Even comfort inn has a base rate of $140 and that's in Quincy / Braintree!

I think I will bid a bit lower and see what I can get on PRICELINE and if that doesn't work I can book on HOTWIRE. I don't want to add areas because I'm afraid I'll get a less nice area. I don't know boston at all, I've only been there once for a single day.

For the first nite of your trip please check for and use the links in our Support Page for your hotel direct purchases whenever possible.

For the balance, I think you can 'safely' bid the Quincy Market, Boston Common, and Copley Square and be considered very centrally located.

If you need help with a bidding strategy please confirm which zone(s) you're willing to accept, the desired star rating you want to try for, and your maximum bid and we'll advise accordingly.

Good luck!

We ended up reserving the Marriot in Burlington, I saw the price on priceline $82 and they had the same direct on the Marriot website but on the Marriot website they gave an option to add breakfast and wifi for $95. Breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids for $13 more is a bargain.

Burlington is a 20 minute drive. We added up the subway costs and since it's the weekend it'll be cheaper to just drive to boston and pay $9 for parking. more convienent too with the baby.

hotwire is a bit of a ripoff in my opinion. they charge 36% taxes & fees and I believe they hide their 20% fee here so they can make their room rates competitive. When I added taxes & fees + parking it was $215/night. that's the price we'll pay for 2 nights with breakfast, wifi, and swimming pool. not the same as downtown boston but for us a better deal.

Thanks for the help. Now I have to book bar harbor! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]