Priceline Hotel: 2* Shawano Super 8 Shawano

MR. C
By MR. C,
in

I used priceline's name your own price for the first time yesterday. I noticed their big deal guarantee gives you $25 if you find a lower price elsewhere. Now the hotel I was booking is listed at $76 a night at several sites, after many failed bids I ended up getting it for $60 a night. I'm only planning on staying in the hotel the one night. I'm wondering would it have been wise to overbid for $77 a night in order to get a $25 credit? Would this work? It essentially would give me a rate of $51 after matching and credit for the one night. In addition to the $50 coupon that I would also get for future use.

I should also mention this was a unique situation where I basically knew the hotel I was bidding on. There are only 2 hotels in the city and I could tell which one was which by the number of stars each was rated.

The $50 coupon is for a flight+hotel purchase which, for me, is not of much value unless i had plans on purchasing a vacation product in the future... a better deal can usually be had by booking the airfare on your own and bidding for a hotel.

Which leave the $25 refund... in your situation above you pay an extra $17 for the hotel and an extra $2 in tax/fees... so you overpay by $19 in order to get $25 back, a net gain of $6. If you have use for the vacation coupon i can see how this could potentially work (and it's been considered before), but i'm fairly conservative and for a current net savings of $6 isn't worth it to me as 1) something could go wrong and get a different hotel, 2) PRICELINE could deny the claim (for whatever reason... one reason could be if the rate goes up between the time you purchase and the time they process your claim), 3) making the phone call, being on hold, and explaining the situation isn't worth the time or effort for $6, imo.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and enjoy your upcoming stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]