Priceline Hotel: First Time Bidder Planning Vacation

strawny
By strawny,
in

I have been researching how to bid for travel for a couple of months now. I'm still a little nervous about the process and was looking for a little advice on when and how to start bidding. Our trip is about 8 weeks out and I didn't know if I should start bidding now, that way I can start extremely low or wait a couple more weeks? Below are our trip plans, what zones I am looking at, and roughly our price range. Also are my price expectations in those areas ok or are they a little low?

July 28th Columbus OH

Dublin or West Zone 3*

$40

July 29th-Aug 1st Sandusky OH

Huron or Milan/Norwalk 3* (willing to go to 2.5*)

$45-$50

Aug 1st St. Louis MO

Forest Park or Chesterfield 3.5* (willing to go to 2.5*) would also consider Downtown if needed.

$45-50

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please post only one stay per thread, we will use this topic for your first stay in Columbus on July 28th, feel free to start NEW TOPICS for each of the other legs of your trip.

As far as when to bid there is no correct answer, but the general advise is to bid once your plans are firm while making sure you don't overbid early on. For more information on this subject see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our priceline.faq.

More specifically for your first stay i think something in the $50-$60 would be a more realistic expectation, but as you point out you can start low and work your way higher. Using MAPS and HOTELS.com what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable 3* hotel in one of these zones for this nite?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

I am wanting a 3* hotel in Fishers Indiana for 7/28. I have been bidding unsuccessfully for a week now. I do not want to go above $60 as right now I can book a 3* in Fishers through Priceline's Express Deals. I am currently up to a $50 bid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also could use some help determining the free bid zones.

Thank you!

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I am wanting a 3* hotel in Fishers Indiana for 7/28. I have been bidding unsuccessfully for a week now.

Please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm sorry, I 'm a little confused as to why my post for Fishers IN was moved under my original post for 3 different areas? In the response you stated to create separate threads for each leg. This is a new leg for Fishers IN. The original post was to be used for the Columbus leg which we have decided against now. I'm sorry I'm new to this and I don't see how moving my post under a thread for a leg I don't need anymore will get me the help I need for the Fishers area.

In the response you stated to create separate threads for each leg. This is a new leg for Fishers IN. The original post was to be used for the Columbus leg which we have decided against now. I'm sorry I'm new to this and I don't see how moving my post under a thread for a leg I don't need anymore will get me the help I need for the Fishers area.

Since this is for the same date it's the same leg... just a new destination.

Not using the board links will delay your getting the requested help more so that a confusing topic title ;)

When bidding 3* in the Indianapolis area you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're unsure how to determine your re-bid zones try the following:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter New Orleans and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there, otherwise once you confirm your re-bid zones we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]