Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Midtown Central) Sofitel

KatiesMom
By KatiesMom,
in

Hi all,

My daughter and I and are coming to NYC to see a midnight show with Jinkx Monsoon (Laurie Beechman Theater near theater district). One night stay. We'll arrive early, enjoy the day, then take a nap to prepare for a late night. Looking for something quiet enough for us to nap and reasonably close to the theater — midtown west, times square, midtown east preferred.

Hotwire has the following. It doesn't exactly match any BB's descriptions. Do you think it is the Doubletree Metropolitan? If so, I'll keep looking. On last minute travel there is what I believe is Morgan's for $213 but that is before calling. When you call they usually offer a nice discount. I'd like to keep the base under $200.

7/13/13, one night, $186, 4*, Midtown East

Amenities:

PetFriendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi Speed Internet

Accessible path of travel

In room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

EDIT: I guess I misread at first, this does appear to be a match for the Doubletree Metropolitan. I'll still leave this post up because I am still hunting an welcome suggestions. Thanks!

Shopping around for one night under $200, 7/13-7/14, 4*. I love Kimpton Hotels so right now I'm targeting Ink48, 4*, in Hell's Kitchen, which according to BetterBidding's pinned priceline list is the only identified hotel (4* or otherwise) in the Hell's Kitchen zone.

I initially bid $145, rejected.

Then added free rebid zone, bid $156, rejected.

Added another free rebid zone, bid $162 rejected.

I was just testing the waters. There are some deals floating around in the high $180's for other hotels on other sites so not rushing things.

NOTE: When checking the free rebid zones... BetterBidding doesn't list any 4* hotels for Lower East Side or Upper East Side, but Priceline had 4* for both of them so they were not free rebid zones for me. That's why on BB you wisely advise people to double check before bidding. You never know what might pop up.

SECOND NOTE: I just checked out the Express Deals for this date and there is a 4* Hell's Kitchen for $267. I think it is Ink48. Guest score 8 out of 10. GUEST FAVORITE. Amenities: Pets Allowed, Restaurant, and also Bed Choice offered. So I'm guessing I won't likely find a really good deal under $200 for this one.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. If/when you win a hotel and use the EDIT TO REPORT WIN button on the lower right corner of this page, the entire thread will automatically be moved to the correct section of the board (if necessary).

While not under your $200 target, HOTWIRE has what appears to be the Sofitel for $210/nite and gets excellent reviews... should it come to something close to this price and it's worth a few extra dollars for this property with a 4.5/5.0 TA rating.

Let us know whatever you decide or if we can be of further help along the way.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks Thereuare! Couldn't resist the Sofitel deal on Hotwire, so got it by clicking HOTWIRE link on BetterBidding.

Details:

$208 for 7/13 - 7/14 one night.

4.5* Midtown Central

Amenities:

Free Internet

Pet friendly

Fitness Center

Business Center

Restaurant

High-Speed Internet Access

The Sofitel is a lovely hotel, never stayed there before, so looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up on the Sofitel in case anyone is considering it. This hotel is first class all the way. Terrific rooms, clean, quiet, excellent service.

Once I learned I got the Sofitel I went to their website and joined their frequent guest program. It's free and always worth doing with whatever hotel you're staying at.

Hotwire booked us for a room with one queen bed. This was a mother-daughter trip so when I called to confirm my reservation I requested a room with two twin beds instead. The clerk said there was no guarantee they could provided it but would note it on our reservation. I also gave them my new guest program number to be put on the reservation too.

We arrived at the hotel and a doorman opened the cab for us and asked if we would like help with our luggage. We didn't but we appreciated the offer. No check in line. We were given a room with two twin beds. Super comfortable. Perfect for us. Bathroom, by NY standards was large and included a separate tub and shower. Very nice.

We moseyed in around 4 a.m. from our midnight show and never heard a peep or noise. I had forgotten toothpaste and after we checked in I called housekeeping and asked if they had any. Within 10 minutes they brought up 2 small tubes plus 2 toothbrushes. Very thoughtful. I asked the front desk clerk if it was possible to get a late checkout in case we slept late. She said sure no problem. We didn't need it though. We were out by noon, regular check out time. We also received a free daily newspaper at our door.

When we ventured out and needed cabs, the doorman was always at the ready and assisted.

The location is great - a few blocks between Times Square and Rockefeller Plaza. Just a quick walk to both. There are other hotels right around it — The Algonquin, The Royalton, and The Iroquois, plus the Red Flame Diner for breakfast and quick eats. Walk to the end of the street to Fifth Avenue, and on the left just a few doors down is a super clean convenience store/deli open 24/7. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar.

One caveat, if it matters to you - We had a room on the fourth floor that looked out onto another building. If you want something better you may need to go up higher. In our case view didn't matter to us.

Highly recommend.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]