Priceline Hotel: 4* Portland (Downtown) The Benson Hotel a Coast Hotel

samwong
By samwong,
in

Please assist on bidding strategy for Portland. Dont really mind a good 3 star(like the marriott which had good

reviews) or a 4 star. Will pay tops 130 and if possible a hotel near public transportation.

Did you want to first bid for a 4* hotel up to your limit and then if rejected try for a 3.5* and then for a 3*... OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this trip?

Also, note that when bidding on PRICELINE you'll need to be able to accept a hotel anywhere within the zone... if the entire zone is not acceptable, or there are 'known' hotels in the zone that you're trying to avoid, then you may want to go with HOTWIRE where you have the ability to take a guess at the property based upon the amenities shown and/or can use the 'location' rating provided by previous guests to help ensure that the property is well located.

Let us know the information above and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

While it's above what your desired budget, I do see a potential match for the Hotel Deluxe (not a Kimpton, but a well-rated boutique) on HOTWIRE for $148 (the price you see may vary slightly.) If that would be of interest, let us know and we would be happy to point out the listing.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'll note that you're likely only ~$10 or so from a win at the 4* level, but if you've bid up to your maximum of $130 for a 4* hotel and don't want to bid any higher, you can try as follows for a 3.5* property:

When bidding 3.5* in Portland you have EIGHT re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your last night, a Friday, looks to be more expensive than the others. Hotwire $148 4* for all 5 nights goes down to $140 for just the first 4 nights.

Long shot here, but if you are headed out via air fairly early Saturday morning, maybe your last night could be spent at a PDX airport hotel? Portland has a very nice light rail system with a good run to the airport.

Romelle

Thanks Romelle, but I am taking the afternoon Amtrak back to Vancouver. Hotwire has a 4 star (Deluxe?) at $148 and a 3.5 star at $157. Why is a 3.5 star more pricey than a 4 star. The 3.5 amenities are as below - is it Hotel Fifty?

Free Internet

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

samwong

I'm sorry to say that a 3.5* property with this amenitie combo has not yet been reported/ID'd to the board.

I don't think the hotel is Hotel Fifty. I'm not sure but a guess would be The Paramount Portland, a Coast Hotel.

Let us know how it goes or if you need any additional help with your stay.

Please use the board's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your purchases and searches

Yellowdog.

You've got lots of time. There are people who actually bid the same day as their stay.

The real question is whether or not rates will come down. There is a good discussion about bid timing in the PRICELINE FAQ, but to sum it up - there really isn't any way of knowing.

Probably the best thing to do would be to make a cancelable back-up reservation. Then you can comfortably continue bidding. There are lots of links to booking agencies and hotels on the Support Page (see up in the header). www.hotels.com has some hotels that offer free cancellation. There are others. But if you do this, be sure to carefully check the cancellation rule fine print.

You can also look at the 3* hotels other bidders have won in the list of hotels at the beginning of both this Priceline - Oregon and the Hotwire - Oregon areas. Then check them out in the Hotel Reviews on this site (clear at the end) and maybe even on www.tripadvisor.com to see if you think they'd work for you.

Romelle

There is a HOTWIRE 4 star property but reviews aren't so great but what are your views.

Currently there 4* Downtown hotel i'm seeing when searching HOTWIRE for your dates is priced at $172 and has:

Pet Friendly

Boutique

Fitness

Restaurant

Hi-Speed Internet

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

... and a 4.5/5.0 TA review which would imply EXCELLENT reviews.

My guess for this property would be the Hotel deLuxe... would this HOTWIRE offer work for your plans?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

• 2 weeks later...

After days of bidding, won The Benson at $138 and I think I started too high at 120, 125, 130, 135, 138 as I had been trying up to $180 for the last few days. Saw a $178 downton 4* property at Hotwire, which for the last 3 days had nothing on 4*' so thought I'll try PL again. I do hope its a nice property at a good location as its the first time for me at Portland. Thanks for your addistance. Used the PRICELINE link.

U.S. Presidents and CEOs have made The Benson their home away from home for a hundred years. The Oregonian (Portland newspaper) voted it Best Portland Hotel in 2012.

If you haven't been there already, there is more info on the hotel web site.

As well as being centrally located, it is steps from public transportation.

You got a fine deal!

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]