Priceline Hotel: Priceline Downtown Indianapolis August 2013

ajlemm
By ajlemm,
in

I have tried to find information about bidding for downtown Indianapolis for August 8, 9, 10 (3 nights), 2013, but no matter what REASONABLE price I put in for Priceline on those dates, nothing gets accepted. I have bidding alerts set up, but they are not listed by date. So unhelpful. Seeing other people's winning bids is helpful, but is a VERY general price. Does anyone have any other strategies for when things like this come up (ie. pricing doesn't seem to fit normal pricing structure for a city neighborhood). I don't want to overbid, but I know there may be several big events going on while I am there, so I imagine it is driving the hotel prices up, or scarcity due to the events of course. I have been listing $70-$75 for 3 star, $75-$80 for 3.5 star and $80-$83 for 4 star, which is significantly above what I have seen commonly in winning bids for downtown Indianapolis. I can't really spend more than that, but have to be there on those days. UGH! Help?

If you are willing to stay out a ways, Hotwire has a 3* for $50. For downtown, right now there is only a 4* at $119. Priceline Express has similar rates.

You've got lots of time. You might consider making a cancelable back-up reservation, and then continuing your bidding. Really check the fine print though to be sure of the cancelation terms. As your dates get nearer, maybe the hotels will give more rooms to Priceline's inventory. There are lots of links to hotels and booking agencies on the Support Page.

For major events, sometimes hotels hold blocks of rooms, and don't release them for other people until the very last minute.

If you do continue bidding after making a cancelable reservation, maybe only do it every 4 or 5 days or once a week for now. That cuts the stress considerably.

I've certainly dealt with similar situations. You might have to pay for a 3* what you think is a "reasonable" rate for a 4*. Or stay further out. Check for Bed and Breakfasts. When I've been really desperate and determined to stay someplace, I've even resorted to youth hostels (and I'm a grandmother albeit a stubborn/flexible one). I've stayed at an airport hotel and utilized hotel shuttle to airport and then bus/rail downtown.

Hotel rates simply really vary by dates.

Romelle

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I have bidding alerts set up, but they are not listed by date. So unhelpful.
Our own Win Alerts allows you to not only set up alerts by date, but also by days of the week too. ;)
...no matter what REASONABLE price I put in for Priceline on those dates, nothing gets accepted... I don't want to overbid, but I know there may be several big events going on while I am there, so I imagine it is driving the hotel prices up, or scarcity due to the events of course.
As you elude to, rates are date specific, so what is reasonable shouldn't be based upon what others have won for on dates other than your own, but rather your bid price relative to booking a 4* hotel thru conventional booking channels on your dates.

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel in the Downtown zone for your dates?

At current rates I suspect you're likely looking at $90-$110 for a 4* hotel for these dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]