Priceline Hotel: Bidding strategy re. amenities

lusby
By lusby,
in

This will be my second time using Priceline’s Name your own price. The first time, after joining Betterbidding, was about 4 years ago and it worked out fine. After reading the advice and following the link to PRICELINE, we made a successful bid but we haven’t had an opportunity to use it again. We will be going to Seattle in the second half of May and would like some advice before bidding. I understand the strategy of using different zones to enhance bidding but I’m confused about some other bidding aspects. I have the impression, perhaps incorrectly, based on comments in the questions and advice section, that there is some way to narrow down the hotel you are selecting before committing. For example, I’m interested in probably a 3* or 3.5* hotel in the Pike Place zone. Priceline shows 3 hotels in the 3* category, one of which (Homewood Suites) has more amenities (e.g., microwave and refrigerator ) than the other two (Courtyard Marriott and the Roosevelt). Is there any way, in bidding, to increase the odds for Homewood Suites or another suite type hotel (even in a nearby zone like the Space Needle)? Also, I haven't used Hotwire before but if that is a better option for getting a place with the amenitities preferred, I'm willing to try them.

You shouldn't look and compare with the retail side of PRICELINE. They use diffrent hotels and zones comparing to the bidding side. So you may end up with a diffrent hotel than you see listed on the retail side when using the bidding side.

And I'm sorry to say that you can't increase the odds for a specific hotel or amenities. You have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) you select.

After reading your post would my advice be that you use HOTWIRE for your stay. If you're trying to target a specific property then HOTWIRE can often be a better option if you're successfully able to identify it based upon the star rating and amenities shown before your purchase... the trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE, so you need to decide what is most important to you for a given stay, the lowest possible price OR the ability to take an educated guess as to the property you may receive.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll go from there. Please also post your dates for this upcoming stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

Thanks, Yellowdog. I appreciate your advice. We will be arriving on May 18 and will be staying until May 25. We plan to stay the first couple of nights at a hotel near the airport and take a couple of tours from there outside of Seattle, then move to a hotel downtown, preferably in the Pike Place area or at least within a couple of blocks from the monorail or the bus 99 (which goes around downtown). I'll take your advice and look over HOTWIRE. I would rather pay a little more for a place that has the amenitites I am looking for and if that is easier on HOTWIRE, that's fine with me. Any further advice would be welcome.

Since you intend to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, please use this thread for the airport leg of your trip and start a NEW TOPIC for the downtown part of your stay.

How many nites do you intend to stay near the airport before moving downtown? What is your budget per nite for this leg of your trip?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks to all for the advice. We’re not tied to staying at the airport. We plan on taking a couple of bus tours outside of Seattle (e.g., Mt. Rainer, Woodinville wine tour) and thought it would be more convenient and less expensive if we just stayed near the airport. But after researching some of the tour sites, we found that most pick up only at downtown locations so we might just look for a hotel downtown for the entire stay. If we bid on a hotel, we would probably not go above $70 for a 3* hotel. If we don’t bid, and pick a hotel based on the hotel’s page or another site including Hotwire and Priceline, we would probably expect to go up to $120-$135 depending on location and amenities. Please let me know if you think I’m being unrealistic. Thanks.

I think you're expected budget is a little on the low end of the range for this complete stay.

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com UNcheck anything under 3 stars and then sort the results by price, do you see anything 3* rated in the $120-$135 or under range?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see what you mean. The lowest 3* was $143. Would it be a better strategy to break up my stay into 2 parts? For example, I'm amenable to spending one night near the airport, renting a car to see Mt. Rainier and some other areas for a three days and bid on a hotel for the remaining 3 days, including revising upward my earlier bid estimate?

Have you found the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins yet? Under the Tools menu above. Right now there is only one successful bid reported there - a HOTWIRE for your first two days - but you might enjoy taking a peek at it from time to time. Maybe more members will have reported.

Since you've a lot of flexibility in your trip, I'd suggest using HOTWIRE to check one day at a time. Rates are VERY date specific. You might find a sweet spot for your downtown Seattle time, and then spend the more expensive days further out with that rental car.

If you've not used it before, the light rail from the airport to downtown works very nicely. 38 minutes and $2.75 last time I checked.

Romelle

If you're looking to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID to save money at a lesser priced hotel for a few nites before moving to a Downtown property, the you have the right idea, but i wouldn't restrict yourself to just the airport zone... that zone may be the least expensive, but for perhaps not too much more you may be able to get something in Bellevue (or some other neighboring location) which would give you access more access to restaurants, shops, etc. and nightlife.

Also, you'll need to keep an eye on parking costs if you intend to rent a car as it can be 'hit or miss' in some of these zones as to whether the hotels charge for parking or not.

And one more thought as i was typing this and thinking about what Romelle mentioned above... you could stay at an Airport location and take the lightrail downtown to meet with any tour group that you decide to book with, so that is still an option, although not as convenient as staying directly downtown and not commuting early in the morning or late in the day after the tour and/or less informative then doing the tour on your own.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for the tips on on the lightrail. I was also thinking of adding the Lake Union zone for a similar reason. There is a street car that goes downtown for a reasonable price. One question I have that I would appreciate having your clarification on. I've only used Priceline once and have never used Hotwire and I'm not sure what information is on the screen from Hotwire when you have to commit. Can you give me an example of what information they provide before I would have to commit?

If you haven't entered any credit card information you're not committed yet ;)

You should be able to see all pertinent information without entering and credit card details.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and please click each of these previous links before replying.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]