Priceline Hotel: Oceanfront rooms on FLL beach - ideas?

hoosierdog
By hoosierdog,
in

Hi, everyone. New registrant, but not a newbie to the bidding process.

I'm trying to book a room for in-laws on Ft. Lauderdale beach, 11/27-11/29/05. Biggest qualification is that it needs to be oceanfront, so I know that PL and HW are out (maybe - see below). Hotel room must be ON BEACH, not requiring a walk across A1A to get to it. Looking at highest-end properties with price limit around $150/night. See that Sheraton Yankee Trader and Clipper appear to be on EasyClickTravel. Called Trader and they require the walk across A1A, but Clipper rooms are actually on beach. So, Clipper on EasyClickTravel is what I'm looking at.

Questions:

1) Any other options to get a reduced rate on beach, on ocean room besides EasyClickTravel? Looking for a decent hotel - renovations in last few years, no bugs, no major complaints. Have always said I'd stay in a brand new Red Roof Inn over an old dilapidated Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton any day. :)

2) Have done some searching here and concerned that these oceanfront and oceanview are all "On Request" rooms. I'll still definitely try, but worried that in 48 hours, I may be back where I started and without further options.

3) Why does the Clipper rate show as $132.35 for a "Full Ocean View" room on it's initial page, then when you click "Book It" it turns into $146.91, before taxes?

4) Dream scenario: Bid on PL for resort in FLL. Get Marriott Harbor Beach for $100. Pay $50 a night when they check-in to upgrade to a decent ocean view. Too risky to hope for that upgrade at *ANY* PL/HW hotel? (Mother-in-law must be able to look out her window and see the ocean!)

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can still use Hotwire if you select a property with a "Beachfront" icon (which differs from the "Near Beach" icon which has an arrow on it)

"On Request" properties thru EasyClickTravel means that they have already sold their allotment of rooms for that nite, but they will contact the hotel to see if they can get additional inventory at their pre-contracted rate. Success on this has been "hit or miss", but do note that it can often take them longer than 48 hours to give you an answer (they have an entire department dedicated to fufilling 'on request' properties but they are often back-logged)

The $132.xx rate on the splash page becomes $146.xx on the purchase page as this first figure is pre-tax, while the second figure is post-tax.

Let us know what you decide to do or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your assistance. Tried to post earlier this week, now know it was the server upgrade stopping me.

The issue is really about getting a beachfront ROOM, not just a beachfront hotel. Even worse, the visitors would like a balcony if we're picking out a hotel (non-PL or HW bid), and the Clipper has NO balconies in any rooms (per the hotel via phone call). I also don't feel comfortable dealing with a website that doesn't have business info (phone/address/etc.) listed on their site (EasyClickTravel). (If I missed it, apologies.)

There were no beachfront properties that came up on HW, but I saw them when I looked at other areas.

Was ready to try for the Marriott Harbor Beach up to $130 today on PL. Then I realized my visitors are smokers and don't feel like taking a risk of ending up with a non-smoking room via a PL bid (or HW) -- would be a disaster.

So now, totally OT, we're looking at the Doubletree Ocean Point (www.oceanpointresort.com) down in Sunny Isles. We can get it for $161 per night for a 900 sq. foot 1BR suite WITH balcony, and hoping it will be at least partial ocean view. (I'm good at begging and they're celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, and most importantly, this is a Sunday and Monday night stay!) Nice reviews since it turned into a Doubletree this year, huge rooms.

It's so much easier to bid for yourself. Lesson learned! :) Thanks again!

April 03 we used hotwire and got the yankee clipper. We asked for an ocean front room and we got it. Now, the reason was because we checked in at checkin time( I think it was 3pm) and our room wasnt ready. They wanted us to wait another hour. I disagreed with that, stating pricelines policy and they offered us the upgraded room. We happily took it.

Happy Travelling, Randi

Smart move, and great luck, Randi! Shows how important it is to know your rights and the old motto "It never hurts to ask."

Speaking of that, I spoke to the Doubletree Ocean Point last night and we're going to book that hotel. Their rep told me that EVERY 1BR there has a balcony and EVERY 1BR has at least a partial ocean view. All 2BR are ocean front, but there are no suites on the street side of the hotel (just a few "executive view" studios). The rep told me to put a note in for the room assigner begging for the best ocean view when I make my ressie, which of course I will do. (And probably follow up with a cheery, short fax as well, adding that I can't wait to post online at every popular travel site how fantastic their hotel is.) :)

Hope everyone looking for Ft. Laud-area rooms gets what they're hoping for!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]