Priceline Hotel: Question regarding star levels & bidding in Burbank

daniesq
By daniesq,
in

We are planning a trip to the Burbank area from May 16, 2013 to May 21, 2013. We are specifically interested the Burbank/Glendale area (Area #1 on the PRICELINE Detail map.)From the research I've done on this board, it looks like the going rate for a 3.5* - 4* hotel is $85 to $100. This is within my budget of $100-125 a night.

Ideally we would be staying at the Holiday Inn Burbank Media Center, but I balked at paying $165 a night for it. I see that it's on the Priceline List of hotels for this area, however, no one's been booked at a 3* level since October. Anyway, finding that hotel on the 3* list got me thinking. If it's a possibility that Holiday Inn Burbank Media Center is in the play, how to best maximize my chances for ending up there? (Even if I don't, I win, because I'm paying less to be in the same area.)

The only 3* hotel I've been able to find in this specific area is Holiday Inn Burbank Media Center. The most frequently won 3.5* and 4* hotels in this area (Hilton Los Angeles North/Glendale And Executive Meeting Center, respectively) seem to be going for $75 - $100 or so. I have a couple of questions.

1. If I start bidding at the 3* level, what amount should I start the bidding at? (It looks as if the Holiday Inn Burbank Media Center was going for more than $100 back in October.)

2. If I start bidding at, say, $80, and there's not a 3* hotel in the category, is it possible that I will be bumped up to a 3.5? If so, how likely do you think that it?

Ultimately, the bottom line is to pay the least amount of money I have to. Since one member of our party is getting in on the 16th and the rest of us don't arrive until the next night, I thought about floating a test bid for that one night, to see if Holiday Inn Burbank Media Center was still in the running.

I'm open to all suggestions. I hope I haven't confused you all as much as I've confused myself.

Thanks for your help,

Danielle

The one night test is a good idea, but even if you get the Holiday Inn for the 16th, there is no guarantee you'll get the same hotel for subsequent nights. I'd guess the odds are better, but still not for sure.

Upgrades do happen, but they can't be predicted with any reliability. If bidding is available in the category, you are highly likely to just get that star level.

I've several times gotten hotels in other cities that haven't yet been reported.

Romelle

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin all your future bidding, searches, and travel purchases.

With PRICELINE there is no way to target a specific hotel and if you try the solo nite of 5/16 first i think it has very little correlation as to what you will get for the remaining nites of your trip.

I think you need to decide what the minimum star rating is that you want for this stay and then focus on the least expensive hotel at that star level (or higher if you're upgraded). If the Holiday Inn is the only 3* hotel in the area and is not available, you'll simply be upgraded once your bid is higher enough for a 3.5* hotel in the zone... the question is if you (and those in your group) are willing to accept any 3* hotel in the zone if you should receive a different 3* hotel in the zone that you didn't consider as a possibility... such as the Residence Inn and Courtyard which are also both possibilities in this zone at the 3* level.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and please click each of these previous links before replying.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good points made by Romelle and thereuare - I'd have to largely agree with their points.

Special mention for thereuare's comment that you should figure out if any 3.5 star hotel will be acceptable should you get upgraded from the 3-star level. Any long-time user of Priceline knows that we sometimes get upgraded - unwillingly. :) For instance, we may be targeting a 3-star with free parking and free internet but get "upgraded" into a 3.5-star that charges for both parking and internet.

I just booked my Burbank trip yesterday so my experience is fresh. I spent a good amount of time comparing HOTWIRE, PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals, Trip Advisor, as well as the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins tool on this website to figure out strategy and price bidding.

Since your trip is in May, it is a really open question on where your bids should start. In the past, I've bid close to the travel date and gotten better deals. But, I've also been burned by trying this and had to go back to my "safety" hotel where I paid more than I really wanted. All of that is to say that I don't have any magic crystal ball on prices and pacing. (Sorry.)

It really all boils down to what you are willing to pay. I knew that I wanted to stay under $84/night to create a buffer for any charges for parking and internet. My winning bid was $13 below my cap but that worked for me - and everyone's experience is different.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]