Hotwire Hotel: 2* Newark (Jersey City) Candlewood Suites

AspDotNetGuy
By AspDotNetGuy,
in

Hi I will be visiting NYC 10/11 to 10/15. I was hoping to stay in a 3* or 4* hotel but may be willing to try a two star if you guys think it might be a good idea. I am not looking for anything extravagant just CLEAN and Comfy. I am going with my girlfriend.

I was hoping to stay near times square. I have been too New York once before and stayed and the Sheraton Hotel and Towers in Times Square and I felt very safe and central there.

Can you guys offer bidding stratigies.

By the way this site is amazing I have been trolling for a few days already and can't believe how great it is. Thank you so much for all your help.

thereuare I read some of you posts about the free ferry and walking accross the Brooklyn bridge so those are now on our agenda. THANKS!

Also should I bid Friday seperatly? I don't mind changing hotels if neccesary.

AspDotNetGuy

I don't think $150 is going to be enough for these dates at a 3* or higher. Personally i wouldn't take the chance on a lesser quality hotel in NYC, but maybe it'll be fine for your needs. We can suggest a strategy with a $150 limit if you'd like, but i'm doubtful you'll be successful.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level you have two re-bid zones, at the 3* level you have one. If you're not familiar with re-bidding, or just want to confirm your re-bid zones to make sure you have them correct, please reply before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

================================================

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTE...

Select 3* MTW...

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am going to NYC with my GF and am curious as to how safe and Convenient communting to Jersey city is at night. I understand it is quite Convenient during the day.

Will walking from the Path system to the hotel at midnight or later be risky?

Would $100.00 a nght be a fair bid for a 3* from Oct 11 to the 15th? If so can you offer a bidding strategy.

I think I found the candlewood for 102.00 on hotwire.com. I think I will just book this unless you can suggest a bidding strategy that might top that or another hotel to look into. The Hyatt is supposed to be nice but it is much more on hotwire.

Is the walk from the path system to the candlewood hotel safe late at night. Please let me know you thoughts asap i want to book this well there is still availability.

You're not likely to be successful for a 3* at $100 for these dates.

I've not had to walk around this area at nite, but it should be fairily quiet, which might make it a bit 'scarier' for those not familiar with it. My sister got scared walking from the Hyatt to a local restaurant, but i wouldn't have any problem making the walk.. guess it depends upon what you're used to.

... i'm not sure of the hours of the Candlewood shuttle. To me "late at nite" while on vacation can often mean after 1am, at which time i don't know if the Candlewood would have the staff to send a driver out. If the LightRail is also running at that time you could get on it for one stop, but given the (likely) wait between trains at that hour i think i would sooner walk it (as i said above i would walk it anyway).

The Hyatt is nicer than the Candlewood... but this comes at an increased cost, which may not necessarily make it a better value.

the Candlewood has a shuttle bus that will take you to the PATH station if you don't want to walk one or two blocks

I think that's only to the NEWPORT PATH station which is a couple of blocks away and a slightly more quiet route than the other PATH station at EXCHANGE PLACE to which I was referring.

Hello I found a hotel in Jersey City and am all but ready to book. I was confident that it was the Candlewood in based on the ammentites but I just looked at the hotel list here on betterbidding and noticed that the candlewood was listed here as 2.5* hotel on hotwire.

This is what I am getting (note the ammentities look like a match for candlewood but hotwire is marking it as a 2* not a 2.5* could it be the candle wood still)?

If anyone can confirm this is the candlewood i will book right now through this site. Please help.

Hoboken - Jersey City - See map

Selected amenities include: Fitness Center, Kitchenette, High-Speed Internet Access, Laundry Facilities (self-service).

When clicking the ammentity list I get:

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Exercise equipment is available for guest use. An additional fee may apply.

Kitchenette

At the minimum, accommodations feature a stovetop burner or microwave oven, a sink and a mini-refrigerator.

High-Speed Internet Access

High-speed Internet access is available in guest rooms (An extra charge usually applies).

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

Guests have access to a coin-operated washer/dryer.

No guarantees, but it appears that the following changes have taken place:

Hyatt... upgraded to 4* (confirmed)

Candlewood... downgraded to 2*

Ramada... downgraded to 1*

Since ratings are often relative to other properties in the area, it is common to see widespread changes take place throughout a zone.

I think that's only to the NEWPORT PATH station which is a couple of blocks away and a slightly more quiet route than the other PATH station at EXCHANGE PLACE to which I was referring

I think you're right, I took the hotel shuttle to Pavonia/Newport station and upon my return, I walked back to the Candlewood.

a trip down memory lane.....it was St. Patty's day, March 17, 2004....the rate $63....just checked my Hotwire profile and the Candlewood is still being shown as a 2.5* with the following amenities: Fitness Center, Kitchenette, Laundry Facilities.

Looks like the Jersey City Ramada Limited is a 1*, not sure how many folks will want to spend $107 per night for this accomodation. Positives include free shuttle to and from EWR, great staff, decent continental breakfast, one block to the Path Station. Negatives include the age of the property, the neighborhood (although I felt fine walking back to the hotel) and lack of dining options (with the exception of a Pizzaria near the Path station, great slices!!)

Glad you got it all worked out and are happy with the results.

You and your girlfriend may even want to come to Hoboken one nite for dinner/drinks... it's a great little town with a ton of restaurants and bars... and it's much cheaper than a nite out in the city. As well, there are a couple of really good restaurants with 'early bird' dinner specials OR that are BYOB which helps the bill down.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]