Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Pk) Hyatt Regency

frugalnotcheap
By frugalnotcheap,
in

Newbie to this board (but many years of priceline "work"):

Group of about 10 (3 rooms) had reservations to New Orleans this weekend; obviously that isn't happening. We are being given the chance by airlines to fly elsewhere on Friday-Monday. If we decide on NYC, how should I bid on 3 rooms in any part of Manhattan? Is is advantageous in any way that we're last minute? Or should we stick with Hotwire, where rooms are about $180 - $200 for something decent? Location isn't important, but we'd probably like 3* at least b/c it's Priceline. Any help is much appreciated. We're also thinking of Chicago; would we be better off getting a deal there?

Hi all, newbie here (although I have used priceline a lot; but just found this site):

A group of 10 of us were going to New Orleans for Labor Day (9/2 - 9/5). Not happening. We are now making last second plans for Chicago. We want to stay somewhere where cars are not required and the rooms are decent. But we're flexible. Is hotwire or priceline better for us? What should we bid and where? I am leaning towards 3* or 4* in the Loop area...

How many rooms were you planning to get? Do you have a limit to be spent for each room? With Priceline you have less flexibility in regards to the number of people in each room (they guarantee double occupancy only), while Hotwire rates will be somewhat higher. With Hotwire you might be able to indentify the hotel they give you a rate for, where Priceline you are bidding for a hotel in a certain area and a certain star level. Generally speaking you should be able to get around using the public transportation, so I don't think that will be a problem for you. The Loop area may run you $180 to $200 a night for a 3.5* or 4* assuming three rooms for ten people, all adults I assume?

Besides the Loop i would also consider the NMA zone (which i think is even more centrally located than the Loop).

Let us know which zones you are willing to accept and your maximum bid and we'll take it from there... or if there is an offering on Hotwire that is within your price range if you think that is a better option for your group.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for helping me out...

Here's the scoop:

We need four or five rooms for 10 people (but it could drop to 8, so I'm not too worried about the double occupancy issue). I've done some looking and it looks like Hotwire is about $182 and I even saw the Knickerbocker Mill. on Orbitz for $169. We are definitely interested in the N Mich Ave and Mill Park loop areas on Priceline. For Hotwire, it would be Mag Mile and NMA. So I would say we'd go up to $180. What do you think?

I'm not seeing terribly high rates for these dates. At the 4* level you have two re-bid zones available... if you're not familiar with re-bidding please read RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA....

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Loop....

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

If you had more time i would increase by only $5 per re-bid, but given the shortness of time and the much higher alternatives, i suggest by increasing by $10 per re-bid.

If the above is rejected post back and we'll post a continued strategy as you'll still be able to bid again immediately if you follow the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire options:

Search for 8 people/4 rooms:

9/2-9/5

Mag Mile/Wacker Drive - 4 stars - Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Business Center - $153. This could be the Hyatt or the Westin River North, but judging by the comments, I'd say it was more likely the Hyatt.

Loop - 4 stars - Boutique Hotel, Restaurant(s), Fitness Center. $161. This is likely either the Monaco or the Burnham.

Mag Mile/Wacker - 3 1/2 - Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Business Center. $179. Likely the Wyndham, but if it is, that's the same price I'm seeing for regular rate.

What appeared to be the Intercontinental was coming up earlier for around $180, but I don't see it now.

Expedia:

3 rooms/3 per room:

Fairmont - $179 per.

Wyndham - $179 per.

Select 4* NMA and Loop....

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and Loop and re-bid zone2....

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $140

If the above doesn't work, there are a few options for 4* properties at just a bit more money, including the one you found on Orbitz (if you go that route please be sure to use our Orbitz link... but hopefully the above will work and you won't have to resort to that)

Any questions let us know.

Good Luck.

Bingo! Got the room on my first try with the second round...deatils (hope I do this right):

Hyatt Regency Chicago

4*

Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area

Your Offer Price: $110.00

Number of Rooms: 4

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $1,320.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $222.32

Total Charges: $1,542.32

First bid try per the last strategy described above.

I did finalize this through SavingsBarn.com.

Thanks a ton. A great effort. My friends and I saved at least $400 (and this is a nicer hotel).

Congratulations!!

Glad it worked out well for you and that you are happy with the results and saved some money too! We're happ to have helped.

Thank you very much for using the pricline links at SavingsBarn.com to begin your purchase... we appreicate it very much!

Have a great time with your friends in Chicago.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]