Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Coastal) Hyatt Regency Islandia

Belli
By Belli,
in

Hi,

I'm going to be in town for a wedding on the weekend of Oct. 21-23 and would like to bid on a hotel in Del Mar or further south in San Diego. I'd like to get a 3 star or better for the best rate possible. I noticed some people have had luck with the Del Mar Hilton and Del Mar Doubletree for $30-60 a night. Do you think this is possible? Could you suggest a strategy?

Thanks

What did you decide regarding your LAS VEGAS stay? (please follow-up that post)

For Del Mar i do think you have a good chance at a low rate. You have two re-bid zones at the 3* level and i would bid as follows (very low at this point given so much time before your stay):

Select 3* Del Mar...

Bid $30, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $32, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $34.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

I tried bidding but was unable to get a room.

I bid for a 3* room in Del Mar for 10/21/05-10/23/05

$28, rejected

added Coronado $30, rejected

added Coastal Region, $32, rejected

added Escondido, $34, rejected

I closed my browser after this because I figured out that priceline does offer a 3* in Escondido and I definitely did not want to stay that far away.

It's been about a year since I posted for my last trip (to SF) and I think I might be doing the strategy incorrectly. I couldn't find the post on how to bid. (maybe I'm just too tired!!) Could you clarify which regions I should use as free rebids?

Thanks so much for your help!!

From the top of every priceline hotel list on the board:

DO NOT USE THIS LIST to determine what areas to add when attempting to bid again within the 24 hour window (CLICK HERE for information on how to add cities in order to bid again).

Read the link in the above quote, as well as the comment not to use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones (which is what you were doing)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would bid as follows until mid-September:

Select 3* Del Mar...

Bid $32, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $35, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $38.

Did you figure out your correct re-bid zones? (always doublecheck them before you begin bidding)

Keep us updated to your progress.

It's still early before this stay and rates are still not very high.

Book a cancellable back-up and bid once a week for the next three weeks... or if you want to increase your bid you can bid as follows:

Select 3* Del Mar...

Bid $42, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $46, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50.

Keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have still been unable to get a successful bid. I went up to $61. I am thinking now of bidding exclusively in La Jolla for a four star hotel, since it would be almost as much. I would very much like to get the La Jolla Torrey Pines Hilton, I saw someone got it for $87. Any way to avoid getting the Islandia-- I've heard it's not really worth the money? How do you think I should bid? Thanks

I am thinking now of bidding exclusively in La Jolla for a four star hotel, since it would be almost as much.

There is no "La Jolla" zone on Priceline, you would be bidding the Coastal region which is much larger than just La Jolla.

Not sure what you think it will cost for you to get the Hiton Torrey Pines, but for your dates their direct rate is over $200/nite, so i don't really think you are that close to the amounts you have already bid (you may be close to other hotels in this area but i didn't check rates at those since i think the reason for you bidding the above area would be in hopes of the Hilton Torrey Pines, which i dont' think is likely)

Let us know your gameplan based upon the above and we'll try to advisce accordingly.

At the 4* level you have eight re-bid zones so i would bid as follows given your maximum bid:

Select 4* Coastal

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90

Any questions feel free to ask.

Hi all,

I finally got a bid! I am booked for the Hyatt Regency Islandia for $85/night

Before I got the bid at $85, I tried at $75 and $80 using free rebids.

Looking forward to the stay, however would have liked to get one of the other hotels in this area. Oh well that's the gamble you take with Priceline!

Thanks for your tips! I bid through SavingsBarn.

Congratulations on your win... glad to see you found some success, even if not at the hotel of your preference.

Can't argue with the price... a nice deal.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and for using the SavingsBarn.com links to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]