Hotwire Hotel: NYC 9/15-9/18

FriendOBill
By FriendOBill,
in

I just found this site and it looks like folks are getting some great hotel deals on Hotwire, however, I'm finding that for 9/15-9/18 a 2.5 to 3 star in ME, MW, Times Square starts at 300/night with most above $350. Is this a particularly bad time or maybe I'm just doing something wrong? Never used Hotwire or Priceline before. Comments/Suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Prices generally go up in the Fall, but more specifically, i think the UN is in session during this period.

Do you have a current back-up reservation or alternate plan? Is stay in a town in nearby NJ with easy commute options into NYC an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would like to keep it under $200/night. Someone else mentioned the Hyatt in Jersey City as being nice and with quick and easy access to the City. Would you know how I could bid on that specific hotel?

Yes, I've been to NYC before, was there for Christmas and New Years in 98. Wow, have prices gone up since then! Thanks for your help!

If you do a search on Hotwire there is a 3.5* hotel which appears for $191/nite. If you match the amenities shown to those in our HOTWIRE HOTEL LIST it is a match for the Hyatt (still no guarantees... but i would be very surprised if it wasn't)

You could try to beat this rate via Priceline, but you'd also likely be subject to the increased possibility of getting the Doubletree which is another 3* property in the area.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is how i would play this....

For 9/15-9/18 i would bid $115 for a Jersey City 3*, if rejected...

Go to Hotwire, make sure this hotel appears for 9/16-9/18 (for about $160 or so); if so...

Select 9/15 (the most expensive date of your stay) and bid 3* Jersey City at $135.

If you're sole date of 9/15 is accepted then you can buy the balance thru Hotwire or we can then suggest a strategy for the remaining two nites.

If the sole date is rejected (which it may be as Priceline usually doesn't average the price of the nites), then you can just purchase the complete stay on Hotwire.

As a side note and to show how things can and do change... there is no longer a 3.5* offered in Jersey City, as of this morning it is listed as a 4*, which i'm assuming is an upgrade of the Hyatt as it is the nicest hotel in the area.

Let us know if you have any questions and/or how it goes.

There has been some star rating changes in the Jersey City zone... that 2* (if it's the same one i'm seeing) is likely the previously 2.5* rated Candelwood Suites, which at $100 isn't such a bad deal for these dates, given the lack of viable alternatives.

Does that seem like an option for you or were you orginally scared away by the 2* rating?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]