Priceline Hotel: (4*) Strategy for around Times Square - Up to $160 p/n

Hadoman
By Hadoman,
in

Hello all.

Still trying to get my head around the Priceline rebid process and hope somebody can recommend a strategy for an up coming holiday in NYC for the dates 04/02/2013 to 04/11/2013.

I’m after a 4 star hotel around Times Square and willing to bid up to $160 per night (before tax - does this sound reasonable).

My preference of zones includes MTE, TS, MTW, ESB and CPS.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

At current rates my guess is that $160 will likely fall a bit short, a 4* hotel in the zones you've selected will likely cost most in the $180-$200 range. However, we can start with $160 (or whatever amount you're able to increase your bid to) and take it from there, but let's first get your up to speed on re-bidding.

Assuming you've already read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, try the following:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'New York City, NY' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further. (HINT: you have SIX re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info. I have read the faq and have a better understanding of the strategy.

Yes I can go higher then $160 but $190 would be my maximum.

As per your request I checked the PRICELINE website (using the link on the top right of this page)and found the following zones which don't have hotels with 4 stars or higher:-

Coney Island (**), Long Island (***), Lower East Side (***), Morningside Heights (***), Queensborough Bridge (***) and Upper East Side (***).

Yes, you have your SIX re-bid zones correct, but always double check just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked.

You can try bidding as follows:

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB and CPS...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB and TS...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB and CPS...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB, TS and CPS...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you include the MSG-Chelsea zone to your bidding i think you have a chance for a 4* hotel at the bid amounts above... or if you increase your bidding up to $200-$210 you may find success in the zones you have already bid.

Whether to increase your budget, include other zones, or wait it out and hope for lower prices in the weeks ahead depends upon how you feel about the 'known' 4* rated hotels in the MSG-Convention area zone (or other zones you are considering bidding) vs. how strict your budget is.

Let us know how you'd like to move forward and how we can be of further help along the way.

After many hours of unsuccessfully bidding it looks like I have problems using PRICELINE. After bidding up to $230 for MTE,MTW and TS and still being rejected I just placed a bid for a 2 star hotel in Harlem for $250 and my bid was rejected yet again.

Can somebody please tell me why my bids are being rejected on PRICELINE even though I'm offering over the odds for a room. I assume the problem could be credit card related (Australian based) by why would PRICELINE tell me to keep bidding. I'm so confused.

After bidding up to $230 for MTE,MTW and TS and still being rejected I just placed a bid for a 2 star hotel in Harlem for $250 and my bid was rejected yet again.

I don't recommend you try 2* bidding, even as an experiment, as you could end up at a 2* hotel in this zone at this price.

Without watching over your shoulder and seeing exactly what you're doing and exactly which screen is shown when your bid is being rejected, i can't say what the issue is. Why not switch to HOTWIRE where there are 4* hotels offered in your original bidding zones at less than the amounts you have already bid?

If you go to HOTWIRE and are re-directed to a non-US version of their site, please change the drop down menu on the top right of HOTWIRE's page to United States and the currency dropdown to US Dollars. Then continue to search HOTWIRE and post to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation due to future currency fluctuation. Once you're ready to purchase stay on the US version of their site and simply change the drop down menu to whatever currency you'd like to use and complete your purchase.

Thanks for the info but i think you missed the point.

No matter what area or price I offered at Priceline my bid was rejected and I was advised to change my selection criteria and bid again.

After many many hours of bidding I discovered there was a major issue and yes at the end I was offering large amounts of money for non-tourist locations and my bids were still be rejected.

I contacted Priceline Helpdesk and they have advised I cannot use this service as I don't live in the USA or Canada.

I don't have a problem of Priceline only providing this service to US or Canada Credit Card holders but when the system tells you to bid again this does not make sense and potentially waste hours of people time (like me).

When I was a young child I always thought the USA was such an advanced country with a great economy. These days I can't believe how far behind it has become and ignorant to people from other countries. Yes there are other people in the world and guess what, they also travel.

Sorry if my comment upsets anybody but it how I feel. Looks like after three days of trying Priceline I'm heading back to Hotwire.

I understood... my point was that even if you thought something was wrong, i would never recommend you bid a high dollar amount for a low star rating in an unwanted zone to 'prove'... what if that bid was accepted?

As well, part of a sound bidding strategy is making sure that you don't overbid, even before your $250 bid there were HOTWIRE hotels at the same star level for less, so your bidding never should have gotten this high anyway.

Let us know what end up with through HOTWIRE or if we can be of help with your purchase through their service.

Hi all.

Can you please help ID this Hotel:-

4-star Hotel in Times Square - Theatre District @ $226 per night.

The rate for 2 people traveling on 02/04/13 to 11/04/13.

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Please keep all posts for this stay in this thread. When you report your win, use the EDIT TO REPORT WIN button on the lower right corner of this page and the thread will automatically be moved to the HOTWIRE section of the board (assuming that is the service you ultimately use)

Both the Crowne Plaza Times Square and the Millennium Broadway have been seen with this amenity set so either of these would be my best guess for this one, although i'd slightly favor this one more likely being the Millennium.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this stay or if we can be of further help along the way.

If you're looking for something specific you can also try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com.

Help with the ID of this Hotel:-

Star rating: 3-star

Check-in date: Tue, Apr 2

Check-out date: Thu, Apr 11

Price: $178 p/n

Free Internet

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Thanks.

Col

From the Hotwire Hotel List this matches previous reports for the Holiday Inn Midtown 57th St so that would be my best guess for this one.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

PS- please choose ONE screen name and only post under that user

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]