Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Convention Center - Capitol Hill) The George, A Kimpton Hotel

zdf31
By zdf31,
in

Hi, this is the first time I use priceline to bid hotels. I have a travel plan to DC and NYC this spring with my family and would like to stay in 4* DC (White House) hotels for 3 nights from Mar 28 to Mar 31, and 4* NYC (any zone south of central park) hotels for 4 nights from Apr 1 to Apr 5. I will need 2 rooms.

I have some general questions:

What's the possible rate I will get and when should I start to bid? Less chance to get better rate if I start too early?

How can I know the number and size of bed(s) in the room?

What's the steps I need to follow to win with best rate?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I will answer your general questions below, but moving forward we will use this thread for the Washington DC leg of your trip, please start a NEW TOPIC for the NYC leg of your trip.

I will need 2 rooms.

How many adults/children are there in total?

What's the possible rate I will get and when should I start to bid? Less chance to get better rate if I start too early?

We generally recommend bidding as soon as you know your plans are firm, but don't bid "all out"... know what is a realistic bid for your timeframe and bid near the low end of the range... then you can gradually increase your bid to the mid and upper end of the reasonable range as you get closer to your dates. For more o this subject see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

How can I know the number and size of bed(s) in the room?

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. If you need more than one bed in the room, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

What's the steps I need to follow to win with best rate?

Let us know the information above and we'll then have a look at rates for your dates and advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Do you need more than one bed per room? If so, I'd recommend looking into HOTWIRE instead.

If HOTWIRE is of interest, are there any listings showing when searching for 2 rooms/4a/2c? If so, please provide the price per night (before taxes/fees), star rating, zone and full list of amenities showing with the listing.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Actually it's ok to have only 1 bed per room, as long as it's king/queen size. One of the children is under 1, won't need much space.

Hotwire doesn't provide many choices when I search for 2r/4a/1c, I have to lower the star rating and add other zones (Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill):

4-star Hotel in Dupont Circle - National Zoo, $135

Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

3.5-star Hotel in Dupont Circle - National Zoo, $120

Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

3.5-star Hotel in Capitol Hill - National Mall, $113

Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

3.5-star Hotel in White House - Downtown, $168

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

3-star Hotel in White House - Downtown, $134

Free Internet, Indoor Pool(s), Smoke Free Rooms, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Laundry Facilities (self-service), Accessible for the deaf, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

3-star Hotel in Dupont Circle - National Zoo, $134

Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Laundry Facilities (self-service), Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

Have you checked the Hotwire Hotel List for any possible matches?

In your first post you mentioned you were looking for a 4* hotel, are you now also interested in 3* properties? Is there something about the 3.5* White House - Downtown hotel for $168 that makes it appealing when it is lower rated and higher priced then the 4* hotels you've inquired about?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since Hotwire showed only one 4* in Dupont Circle - National Zoo area, I just wanted to see what I can get if lower the star rating. I could'n find exact match from the Hotwire Hotels List, my guess the only 4* is "The Dupont Circle Hotel" and 3.5* in Capitol Hill is "L'Enfant Plaza Hotel". I won't consider 3.5* in White House ares for $168, because I can get 4* Mayflower Renaissance for $159 either at Expedia or it's own website.

I am still trying for 4*, either in White House or Capitol Hill, for upto $120 per room/per nite. I have tried bidding at priceline yesterday for up to $113 with no success. Should I keep trying or need to change the strategy? Any advice?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]