Priceline Hotel: Waikiki Beach Resort for Honeymoon

Soaphead
By Soaphead,
in

Going to Oahu for the Honeymoon along with Maui in July. Looking at hotel prices made me cringe.

I tried reading the basics, and here's what I came up with; if I am wrong please correct me.

I want something on Wakiki Beach, preferably a 4 star or up. I would like one of the Outrigger hotels.

So I go into priceline, pick Waikiki Beach area, 4 stars minimum, and then just bid and hope I get something good?

I apologize for my newbieism.

I'm also curious about the answer. I'm looking to book the Moana Surfrider but Priceline lists it as a resort with no star rating. But resort as at the bottom of the list when bidding, so it seems that "resort" is the minimum-level of quality which makes me wary of bidding.

If I choose "resort" when bidding on Priceline, am I subject to all levels of star-quality?

I'm also curious about the answer. I'm looking to book the Moana Surfrider but Priceline lists it as a resort with no star rating. But resort as at the bottom of the list when bidding, so it seems that "resort" is the minimum-level of quality which makes me wary of bidding.

If I choose "resort" when bidding on Priceline, am I subject to all levels of star-quality?

jeboody,

I'll answer your question here, but hope you'll start your own post for your own trip. Resorts rank between 4* and 5*. On the Priceline site is more information as to the features of the different star levels.

When you indicate your desired star level for bidding, you will receive that level or Priceline has the option of upgrading you to a higher one. If you select Resort, you will get that level or you might be upgraded to the highest 5* level.

and Soaphead,

When you bid, you have to be willing to accept any hotel within the zone map area you selected, at or above the star level you selected. If you select 4*, it is possible you could be upgraded to Resort or 5*.

Romelle

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I want something on Wakiki Beach, preferably a 4 star or up. I would like one of the Outrigger hotels.

You can't bid on a specific hotel when using PRICELINE, you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose. With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. As well, HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone, so there is a chance the hotel you're hoping for isn't the one which is offered for your particular dates.

So I go into priceline, pick Waikiki Beach area, 4 stars minimum, and then just bid and hope I get something good?

In the simplest of terms 'yes', but it can be a bit more complex/involved as there are strategies to use in order to make sure you don't overbid and to be ale to bid a few times within the same bidding cycle so that you can increase your bids slowly.

However, as noted above, if you're looking for a bit more of a 'safety net' then HOTWIRE may be a better option for you this trip as you can take a guess as to the hotel you may receive as well as usually see percent recommendations and other review information from previous guests... this can give you a bit more confidence that the hotel you will receive will be a 'good' one. The trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE, so that's the price of the 'safety net'.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know if/how you'd like to proceed, or any additional questions you have, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

congrats on the wedding! since it's your honeymoon, you should also consider if you and your significant other would be satisfied being in a 4* or resort property even if it meant you had an "urban" view. quite often priceline bidders end up with a low floor view out the non oceanfront side of the hotel. i would guess that if you mentioned it was your honeymoon at check-in you would likely get an upgraded view, but there are no guarantees!

congrats on the wedding! since it's your honeymoon, you should also consider if you and your significant other would be satisfied being in a 4* or resort property even if it meant you had an "urban" view. quite often priceline bidders end up with a low floor view out the non oceanfront side of the hotel. i would guess that if you mentioned it was your honeymoon at check-in you would likely get an upgraded view, but there are no guarantees!

Thanks, and great for all the replies. I plan on checking out the Hotwire today. You can close this thread, as you have answered my specific questions around first time bidding.

Thank you very much for the information in this forum.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]