CA San Diego Inns of America Carlsbad

soccermacmom
By soccermacmom,
in

We had a mixed experience at this 2* motel. First, I probably overpaid through Priceline, but it was my first bid and I was feeling desperate as other properties in the area were sold out for our dates. I found a cheaper price at Expedia a couple of days later, but it was too late to get Priceline to refund the difference.

Inns of America (NOT the Suites down the road) is a large motel property, just off the 5 freeway in South Carlsbad. The location is great; it's easily accessible and close to many attractions, and in a nice area with groceries and restaurants nearby. There are 3 floors, one elevator in the lobby, many staircases around the property. Nice sized pool, no exercise room or spa. Basic complimentary breakfast in the lobby: juice, coffee, muffins, donuts, cereal and bagels. Not great, but okay.

I called a day or so before to request non-smoking rooms, and one king room and one double. On arrival I was told "All discounted rooms are third floor, freeway side, double beds - and since you paid through Priceline, that's what you get." I was pretty surprised at the reception, and explained that although I had requested a king and double, we would make do with what they had. I asked about the "free high-speed internet" sign I saw, and was told that only some rooms had that available, and of course the Priceline rooms did not. A few minutes after we got into our rooms, the man at the desk called to offer us two other third-floor rooms, one of which had the high-speed internet access. He said he had asked the manager if he could move us, and they agreed. We accepted and moved into rooms overlooking the pool area.

After a bumpy start - not made to feel very welcome as a Priceline customer - we enjoyed our time in Carlsbad. The rooms are very basic but clean, and the location is great. The double beds were not only small, but really uncomfortable, and had dreadful linens. The sheets didn't stay on the mattresses and the blankets were barely large enough for the beds. We didn't stay in the rooms long, but enjoyed the area.

Pros - location. That's about it, but worth a lot.

Cons - miserable night's sleep on a small, hard bed.

My main gripe with this property was the management's policy. I actually felt sorry for the staff, as they seemed to try to help their customers, but they obviously were not part of a team effort. Not a great way to run a business.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]