Hotwire Hotel: Hotwire hotel in Auckland NZ

sergeigrey1
By sergeigrey1,
in

Hi

I am trying to identify Hotwire hotel in Auckland NZ and I would appreciate help with this. I looked at the Hotwire hotel list on Betterbidding, but it only includes one hotel for Aukland - 5 star Pullman Auckland. However, when I did a search through betterbidding's HOTWIRE link, I was presented with one 4,5 star hotel in Auckland. Can it be the same hotel?

Auckland area hotel

GBP 72.72

Dates: 01 February 2013 - 08 February 2013

I cannot see any additional features or descriptions, or maps of this hotel, even if I provide name, address and telephone number, it takes me straight to payment information

If I go to hotwire.com site itself (not using embedded betterbidding link), then I have a list of 4 hotel in Auckland, prices per night indicated as 54GBP, 91GBP, 63GBP and again 91GBP. Only one of this hotels seem to match the 4,5 star rating found on hotwire through betterbidding's link. If I clikc on the hotel on hotwitre website (not accessed through betterbidding), it actually provides all the information about hotel's facilities and its location.

I therefore have two questions

1. Could you please help me to identify the above 4,5 star hotel accessed through betterbidding (and hotwire)?

2. Could you please hep me to identify another hotel found directly on Hotwire (and not appearing through betterbidding's HOTWIRE link)

Auckland Intl Airport

Price per night GBP24 (total GBP165 for the period between 01 Feb and 08 Feb 2013)

Free parking

Facilities include airport shuttle, laundry and golf nearby

My wife and I, we are travelling with children (3-month old baby and a 3-year old) and we need to be very careful with our budget, so I would very much appreciate your advice on the above hotels.

Kind regards

SVS

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by changing the drop down menu on the top right of HOTWIRE's page to United States and the currency dropdown to US Dollars. Then continue to search HOTWIRE and post to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation due to future currency fluctuation. Once you're ready to purchase simply change the drop down menu to whatever currency you'd like to use and complete your purchase.

Then reply to this thread with the room rate per nite of the hotels above in US Dollars, as well as how many adults/children you're including on your search, and we'll have a look at the HOTWIRE offers for your dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello

Thank you for your prompt response and for moving this post to a more appropriate area of the forum. I followed your instructions and changed Hotwire's settings, the used HOTWIRE link on betterbidding's webpage. I can now see many hotel options for Auckland NZ.

I would be grateful if you could help me to identify two properties, for the period between 01 February - 08 February 2013, one room with two adults and two children (one is a 3-year old and another one is a three-month old baby).

1. Auckland area hotel

USD116 per night

4,5 stars

TripAdvisor rating 4 out of 5

There is no information provided about hotel's facilities if viewed using Hotwire's link on betterbidding website. If accessed from hotwire itself, it appears that this hotel (if I compared it correctly) has Free parking, resturants, laundry and hi-speed Internet access.

2. Auckland Intl Airport hotel

USD39 per night

3 stars

Tripadvisor rating 2 out of 5

There is no information provided about hotel's facilities if viewed using Hotwire's link on betterbidding website. If accessed from hotwire itself, it appears that this hotel (I can be much more certain here than in the previous case) has free parking, airport shuttle, laundry and gold nearby.

Thank you for your help with identifying these hotels, it is very much appreciated.

SVS

1. Auckland area hotel

USD116 per night

4,5 stars

TripAdvisor rating 4 out of 5

There is no information provided about hotel's facilities if viewed using Hotwire's link on betterbidding website. If accessed from hotwire itself, it appears that this hotel (if I compared it correctly) has Free parking, resturants, laundry and hi-speed Internet access.

I can't say if these are the same hotel or not and i'm only seeing the property with NO AMENITIES listed which makes it difficult to make a guess, but the Clarion Collection Hotel Metropolis or the Best Western Great South Road Motor Lodge would each be possibilities for this one.

If you're still seeing/able to view the Restaurant, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Free Parking property, my guess for that one would be the Quality Hotel Parnell. (or this could also be the 'no amenities' property)

2. Auckland Intl Airport hotel

USD39 per night

3 stars

Tripadvisor rating 2 out of 5

There is no information provided about hotel's facilities if viewed using Hotwire's link on betterbidding website. If accessed from hotwire itself, it appears that this hotel (I can be much more certain here than in the previous case) has free parking, airport shuttle, laundry and gold nearby.

I'm able to see the Airport property regardless of how i search, but with a 2.0/5.0 TA ratind i'd highly recommend looking elsehwere... but if you'd like a guess i think the SilverOaks Inn SilverPoint is likely for this one.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I looked at the hotels you helped me to identify, and the difference between their posted rates and Hotwire's one is actually very small (Clarion hotel states that their best available rate is NZD151 or USD125, compared to Hotwire's USD116; while the difference for Best Western Great South Road is bigger, USD160 vs Hotwire's USD116, this hotel is not really close to the city centre). I also checked Quality Hotel Parnell (their own site), but they do not have availability for the dates of our visit.

I am therefore trying to see if I could find another hotel in Auckland (and not in the airport, as you suggested turning down the low-rated one) which can be affordable for our 7-day visit in February 2013 (between 01 Feb and 08 Feb, 2013, two adults, one toddler and a baby). I would be very grateful if you could help me to explore another option below, which I found through HOTWIRE link on the betterbiding's site:

Auckland area hotel

USD93 per night

3 stars

Amenities:

Free Parking, Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s)

Thank you for your help - I would appreciate your advice on this hotel

Regards

SVS

When comparing HOTWIRE rates to 'retail' rates, if you're not, make sure you're including quad occupancy at the hotel's website to ensure that you're comparing apples-to-apples.

For the 3* hotel above, if you go back to HOTWIRE and click the SHOW ME button next to this offer (the one with the price in it), then on the ensuing page click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've posted above?

Hi

Thank you for your advice. I did check the 'retail' rates for hotels for 2 adults and 2 children, otherwise comparisons, as you note, do not make sense. I admit that, since I cannot be sure about the secret hotel's identityt, I might not be comparing like with like anyway.

For the 3 star hotel in Auckland, listed on Hotwire at the rate of USD93 per night, I checked the full list of amenities as you suggested. The list includes: Free Parking, Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Laundry Facilities (self-service), Tennis Nearby.

I would be grateful if you could help me to identify this hotel.

Regards

SVS

Best guess for this 3* property would be the Surrey Hotel.

Would SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID be an option? The 4.5* hotel(s) at $115-$125 would seem to be a better value than this 3*, so if you are willing to change hotels during your stay (which i know first hand is not that easy with two little ones in tow), you could see if the same 4.5* property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance or your dates. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Or, since the discounts don't seem that big in Auckland at the moment (some areas are new to HOTWIRE and the hotels don't quite get the discounts users expect and have not begun to discount heavily enough) you could try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com and see if anything is within your budget and in a desirable location (as well as see what is immediately around the hotel using the newly added WalkScore feature).

Hi

Thank you for your help and advice. I checked the Surrey hotel (as a possible match for Hotwire's offer) and it is a bit out of the way as we willl need to be closer to the university and transport hubs. It looks like a nice place, but there is not much difference between their posted rate and Hotwire's offer. It is a shame, but as you mentioned earlier, it appears that Hotwire discounts don't seem to be very big for Auckland - we used hotwire in London, Edinburgh, Paris, USA (San Diego, LA, Las Vegas) and enjoyed very significant discounts on hotels' posted rates. WE spent time going through Hotwire's offers again, but in the end opted for a 4,5 star hotel (St MArtins Waldorf) through a well-recognised online travel agent at the price of GBP70 (about USD112) per night for a 2-bedroom appartment. This is cheaper than Hotwire's rate for an undisclosed 4,5 star property (USD115 per night) and we can read reviews and see the exact location of the hotel.

Thank you for your advice on splitting Hotwire's bets - I did not really think about this option and it can really help to find the identity of the secret accommodation. However, I felt that it was too much to try and move between hotels (if we did not like them) since we are travelling with a toddler and a small baby (we will also have a lot of luggage with us, so it would be a lot of hassle for us).

I very much appreciate your help with identifying hotels in Auckland - your advice helped us to make final decision and, it appears, helped us to save money by comparing different options. I am sorry we did not use Hotwire in the end, but I will be happy to use it again in the city where it offers more competitive rates.

Thank you very much for taking your time to deal with my enquiries

SVS

Glad to hear you found something that will work for your needs and budget.

We're happy to have helped.. sorry it didn't work out this time, but as you have used HOTWIRE in the past, you do know that deals can be had. When you have time please share any recent wins (even if in the past) with the board as others can still benefit from the information when doing year-over-year comparisons in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins. (please use a NEW TOPIC for each win)

Enjoy your upcoming travels.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]