Priceline Hotel: 3* Hartford (Manchester - Vernon) Courtyard By Marriott Manchester

Chase123
By Chase123,
in

Hi all:

I would like to book a room in the greater Hartford, CT area for New Years eve. I am thinking that occupancy would be rather low at this time, (I got a room for a real inexpensive rate, several years ago). I'm wondering when I should start the bidding process to try and get the best rate. Any general ideas? Is a week before too early?

Thanks.

Chase

Are you only looking in the downtown area? Additionally, what would be your desired budget and star rating? While NYE is generally a busier or very busy time in major cities (NYC), Hartford seems fairly low-key for the night. Still, with only a week to go, this is generally pretty last minute, and I don't think there will be a great deal of change between now and NYE.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

In addition to the above, what do you consider to be a 'good deal' for this nite? (ie- what is your maximum bid price)

I have stayed at a nice hotel in Manchester in the past for $60.00, which included a great hot breakfast. I am hoping that I can score a better deal, maybe $50.00. I don't think that area of town gets much action on New Years Eve. I don't want to stay in downtown Hartford, because often, there is a parking surcharge.

I'm looking for a 3 star or above....

Will use your link !!

I would like to book a room in the greater Hartford, CT area for New Years eve...

I don't want to stay in downtown Hartford, because often, there is a parking surcharge.
Exactly which zones, by PRICELINE name, are you willing to accept?

I'm looking for a 3 star or above....

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. 3.5* vs. a 3* OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay?

Is $50 your maximum bid?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just to confirm, when bidding 3* you have EIGHT TOTAL BIDS... but only 7 re-bids zones.

As you have already bid up to (and beyond) your maximum bid i assume you're going to continue to keep trying at these levels in the days ahead? If you continue to fail at $50 (or even $60 if you decide to bid higher) what is your gameplan... is this an optional trip that you simply won't make OR would you bid higher, include other zones, and/or lower your star rating?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you look at the list of hotels other members have reported (first thread in this Connecticut-Priceline area), you can see a 2 1/2* Fairfield Inn and Suites. I can't speak for that particular one, but I've stayed at ones in other areas and been very happy with them. If it seems possible, you can check reviews here.

Of course it is always possible to get a different hotel not yet reported.

Romelle

They do that from time to time. Annoying.

As near as I can tell, using MAPS and HOTELS.com (in Tools up above), it is in the New Britain zone. I'd urge you to double check my mapping before you do anything drastic - like rely on it. Various ways to approach the problem, but I found the hotel using Maps and Hotels and then got the Priceline zones up in another screen beside it. Zoomed in on the PRICELINE map until it was roughly the same scale as the Maps and Hotels one. And then used the big freeways to compare.

And of course there is no guarantee you would get this particular 2 1/2*.

Its rate for New Year's Eve was $100, so a 50% deal on PRICELINE is good, but possible.

Romelle

Just attempted to obtain a 3* again in Farmington East and/or Manchester Vernon:

Total of nine bids: Started at $35. went as high as $60.00 -

$60.00 usually NABS this area.

Will try one more time. If that doesn't work will take my chances on the 2.5* Fairfield Inn and Suites in New Britain. Just do not want to get the La Quinta Inn, which may have been bumped to a 2.5*

Used your PRICELINE link !!

I do see only one free rebid at the 2 1/2* level.

You don't have to wait the 24 hours to bid at a new lower star level. BUT - you need to have been closed out and come back in again so all those free rebid zones you checked at the 3* level are unchecked initially.

Romelle

I do see only one free rebid at the 2 1/2* level.

Romelle

Yes, only one free rebid. Concerned that it won't be the Fairfield Inn and Suites.

However, I gave it a shot, and went up to $43.00 -- rejected.

The lowest price for a 3* in the areas that I do want is $107.00 before taxes and fees.

Any guess as to what it might take to get a PRICELINE win in the 3* area I desire? I have already tried up to $60.00...

Also, is there a FAQ or part of a FAQ that explains why I was able to sign in and start a re-bid at a lower star level? I never knew that.....

+++ Chase

Also, is there a FAQ or part of a FAQ that explains why I was able to sign in and start a re-bid at a lower star level? I never knew that.....

When your bid was rejected, the message also said something like "...is there anything you can change like dates or a lower star level?"

Since you were going for only one specific night, there wasn't any change you could make there.

When you are bidding at a particular star level, the bid automatically includes higher star levels, so to try to use a higher one isn't a change.

BUT you can use a lower star level, and that change that lets you keep bidding.

It was important for you to be signed off first though. If you had just clicked the 2 1/2* button, all those zones you had been using as free rebids would have stayed selected. All but one of them had 2 1/2* availability, so you could have gotten a hotel in any of them.

In the bidding strategies you see on other posts, you will see "...close your browser" to indicate the necessity of this.

Romelle

PS - the thread is long, but Message #82 here discusses it.

For a 3* hotel i'm guessing somewhere between $65-$85.

I'd be very cautious bidding the 2.5* level if you have your hopes set for the Fairfield Inn as you could just as easily win some other property in the zone.

I know you mentioned trying to avoid the Downtown zone due to parking charges, and you likely know how much parking typically is in this area, but you maybe able to win a 3* Downtown in the $50's, which if parking is ~$10-$15/nite may work out better then paying up for a 3* in a zone outside of the city (assuming Downtown works and/or is desirable from a location point of view)

You might keep an eye on that "Bonus Money Opportunities" area on this site. Right now there isn't anything you can use in it (the Entertainment Book one I posted has a minimum 3 night stay requirement), but every once in a while a member will stumble upon an offer and post it there.

Also, keep an eye on the "rewards" area on Priceline. It is in the second long row of links that starts with "flights". It doesn't happen very often, but randomly Priceline will post something for you. Usually they email you, but not necessarily.

Romelle

To add to your mulling - HOTWIRE currently has a 3 1/2* Downtown for $62 with the following amenities:

Free Internet

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

I tried to see if I could identify it via the hotel amenity sets other members had reported, but there were no 3 1/2* reports. There were two 3*s reported, the Ramada Plaza and the Hartford Plaza. The amenity set most resembled that of the Hartford Plaza, but it still is a pretty weak identification.

Romelle

Thanks. Both of those hotels are pretty run-down. I just tried bidding for a 3.5* star hotel in Rocky Hill, which must be a Sheraton. I went as high as $95.00 --

I think tomorrow I am going to try Bradley and Cromwell.....close enough to where I need to be, if I can get a great rate.

+++ Chase

Ok....here is the final update.....CAUTION: Long Post !!

Previously wanted a win in: Farmington East, Manchester/Vernon or Rocky Hill

Added Cromwell 3* to the above list:

• Cromwell: $45.00
  • Farmington West: $48.00
  • Hartford South: $53.00
  • Manchester/Vernon: $57.00
  • Farmington East: $60.00
  • Meriden North: $63.00
  • Middletown: $65.00
  • New Britain: $70.00
  • Newington: $75.00
  • Rocky Hill: $78.00 (Knew this would be tough to get, due to my attempt yesterday....)
  • Southington: $82.00

And.....DRUMROLL:

Courtyard by Marriott: Manchester

Summary of Charges

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $82.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Guests Per Room: 2

Number of Nights: 1

Travel Insurance: $5.00 (USD)

Room Subtotal: $87.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $20.40 (USD)

Total Charged to Card: $107.40 (USD)

Facts:

I added trip insurance for five dollars, am not sure if I was taxed on that....(Cold and Flu season)

Lowest rate available for the above stay was: AAA rate, $112.70, out the door -- so basically I only saved about ten dollars if I had not chosen the optional trip insurance.

The hotel I really wanted, which has a great free breakfast was, AAA rate, $123.05 out the door. (Twenty dollar savings)

I'm a little disappointed....thought I could have done better. I might have if I had thrown Bradley Airport Zone into the mix.....but wasn't ready to do that, just yet.

Moderators: If I have included too much information, (personal facts which I should not divulge due to safety) -- please delete those parts. Thanks !!

While not as much of a deal as you would have originally liked, glad to see you ultimately received a hotel for this nite. Hopefully you'll stay healthy for the next 2 days and be able to use this room and bring in the New Year away from home.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]