Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Florence (Old Town - Duomo - Ponte Vecchio) Fenice Palace Hotel

SethB
By SethB,
in

Amenities

Free Breakfast Laundry Facilities (self-service) High-Speed Internet Access

This was listed as being in the Old Town - Duomo - Ponte Vecchio area.

Was fairly happy with this price for a 3.5 star hotel, until I looked it up on Tripadvisor and found that two customers in the first dozen reviews were robbed, and many/most of the other reviews mention the hotel reeking of raw sewage. I've been a Hotwire customer for years, and have always bought pretty nice hotels at good rates, but we're already worried that this one is going to be a disaster...

Sorry to hear that you're a bit apprehensive with this win.

I would suggest calling HOTWIRE and letting them know your concerns. They likely won't do anything before you arriving at the hotel, but at least you'll have documented your thoughts ahead of time. If upon arrival at the property there are tangible issues try to resolve them with the hotel management, and if not successful, call HOTWIRE and ask them to speak to the hotel on your behalf. HOTWIRE's stance is usually that you at least need to give the hotel a chance and not rely on hearsay (as often times user's fears are unfounded and the stay goes well), but once you've shown up at the hotel if you're not happy they will work with the hotel to try and resolve any issues.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay... hope it goes better then expected.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

...... found that two customers in the first dozen reviews were robbed...

The Safety area here has some very useful tips.

As much as I enjoy Italy, it does seem to require more caution and alertness than many other countries.

I hope you will review your hotel experience when you return. I'm curious, and I'm sure other members reading your first post are also.

Romelle

Well, we survived, and it wasn't awful. Didn't have anything stolen from the room, but can't say we left much to be stolen. Didn't bring my laptop because I was worried about it, and was glad I didn't, as the in-room safe was only big enough for pocket-sized items. The hotel has a fantastic location, a literal stone's throw from the Duomo and the center of Old Florence. The room was decently sized for Europe, and the bathroom was large as well. Probably the biggest negative for us was that the beds were rock hard, seriously the hardest I've ever slept on in a hotel, actually woke up sore from the bed one morning. The TV was tiny, like a 15" at most, though we never used it. The mirrors in the bathroom are in serious need of re-silvering, they have giant spots all over them that make the bathroom feel sort of icky, though everything was actually clean, it just makes you feel like no one cares somewhat. The lobby was nice, staff was pleasant, and the breakfast was decent, typical Italian cold cuts, cereal, pastries/muffins, and fruit. No free wifi, unfortunately. The other common complaint on TripAdvisor was of the smell of sewage in the hotel. They seem to have masked that issue somewhat by installing big room fresheners in the areas affected, especially the elevators. You'd catch a faint whiff of sewer, but the heavy perfume of the canisters in the elevators covered it up so you weren't gagging or anything. Our room, 301, had no odor issues.

In short, for what we paid, I can't complain too much, the location was truly great for a short stay, but if you want a comfortable bed, stay somewhere else. If I was going back to Florence, I would only stay there again if they have some new bedding, but I don't feel that I was ripped off by Hotwire or anything.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Glad to hear it was better then you had feared and while not perfect, sounds like it was convenient for your needs and was a good value for the price paid.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]