Priceline Hotel: Downtown Minneapolis - Failed bids - Nov. 10-11

FrazierGA
By FrazierGA,
in

Naturally, I started with your PRICELINE.com link. I am posting this under two dates to show both a win and a failed bidding process.

I have been bidding for a 4 start downtown Minneapolis hotel for about two weeks for November 10-12. I have won hotels in the $50-55 range but on one occasion had to split my bid and ended up paying $80, so I was familiar with the winning price range (and, of course, I had this board to guide me). After bidding up to $80 the past several days and having my bids rejected, I decided to split my bids. Yesterday,I bid up to $80 and was rejected. I knew that the more expensive night was Saturday night, so I split my bid and bid on Sunday night. My first priceline bid, of $55, was accepted by The Hotel Minneapolis Autograph Collection. (The website rate is $159.) I then started bidding for the night of November 10. Yesterday and today I bid up to $90 and was rejected. I don't know what is going on that Saturday night, but it is difficult to get downtown room for a reasonable price.

(Yesterday, I noticed that someone had bid on a 2 star hotel and was pleased with the hotel. My two bids of $40 and $45 for a two-star hotel were rejected. I checked that hotel's website and discovered that it had no rooms available for November 10.)

If your plans would permit, the airport zone can work. Most of the hotels there have shuttle to the airport and/or the Mall of America. From there the light rail gets you downtown in about a 1/2 hour.

I say "most", because I learned the hard way that a Sheraton doesn't have a shuttle. However, even if you get that one there is a city bus that connects quite nicely with the light rail.

Romelle

I sincerely hope it works out for you!

We are working on light rail from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis. Maybe in a year or so Saint Paul will also be a viable option.

You apparently are closely following other bidder's results. Definitely good technique.

The other possibility is to take a look at HOTWIRE? I can see a $60 2.5* airport hotel there that includes airport shuttle as an amenity.

Romelle

Not sure what is happening in the Downtown zone for this nite (i didn't see a swimming event but it didn't seem large enough to cause such a spike in rates/demand)... HOTWIRE is showing nothing in the DT zone and MAPS and HOTELS.com shows the best rate for a 4* property starts at $225/nite. Unfortunately not a good scenario for a sub-$100 winning PRICELINE bid.

Do you need/want an airport shuttle for this trip?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Vikings and Lions game that weekend....... I've had the same issue with getting a room downtown Saturday night. Had the same results as you....

Please post a separate thread with the date/s of travel, desired budget per night and desired star rating/zone and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]