Priceline Hotel: Need Bidding Tips for NYC During Marathon W/E

jscout
By jscout,
in

My wife is running the NY Marathon on November 2. We'd like to arrive 10/31 (Fri) and leave 11/3 (Mon). Any chance I can get a decent rate that weekend? Based on a tip from thereuare that I received for another city, I checked Hotwire,and it doesn't look good for MTC and Theater District ($200-$300). I can get the similar rates through the Marathon agreements. Any insights or recommendations from previous experiences bidding on rooms during marathon weekend? Would it even be possible to get a 2 star room for around $100/night? Thanks in advance.

NYC Marathon Weekend will be tough. If i remember correctly, last year rates were high and then dropped near the last minute... but no guarantee that will happen this year.

I don't know if i would risk bidding on a 2*. Your wife has trained most of the last year for this event and if she has to spend the nite before the marathon in some poor hotel she may not be very happy.

Expanding your Hotwire search further i found a 3.5* MTE hotel for $128/nite and a 4* in the Wall St. area for $145 (i suspect this is the Embassy Suites). What are the plans for the weekend... doing all marathon related stuff or more of some relaxing/pleasure time in NYC before the run? Although the Wall St. area is somewhat away from mid-town where many of the pre-race events take place, it may be a good option for her depending upon how she plans on getting to Staten Island the morning of the race (as this area is near the Staten Island Ferry, the Bklyn/Battery Tunnel, and i would suspect that there will likely be a shuttle stop in this area that will probably be less crowded than a mid-town shuttle). What location is best for you is probably a factor of your intended plans for the days before and of the race.

If you decide to wait, i would definately reserve a cancellable back-up in the meantime, as this is always a high demand time in NYC.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks again, thereuare. That's what I suspected. I figured it would be tough if not impossible to get a great deal. Other than hitting the Javits center to pickup her number, we'll just be hanging around town, so generally speaking, it doesn't really matter where we stay. The main reason we were considering MT area is because according to the marathon web site, the "official" shuttle leaves from the library. I think the only public transportation method from the Wall Street area is the Staten Island Ferry. I discussed this briefly with my wife and she'd actually prefer the shuttle. She used the shuttle service in Boston when she ran it two years ago felt it was the best option for relatively care-free transportation.

I think i did see that 3.5* MTE hotel on Hotwire that you noted. Although I think it was $118. I tried to guess which hotel that might be and the closest I could come up with is the Sheraton Russell or possibly the Roosevelt (based on those listed on this web site). Does that sound about right? If so, I've stayed at the Sheraton before and would gladly stay there again. It's a great hotel. Don't know much about the Roosevelt though. Any insights?

The Sheraton Russel is on 37th St, so that would put it out of the MTE zone and into the MTS zone. So the best guess is that the $118/nite hotel is the Roosevelt, although the amenities shown are fairly common in NYC so i would describe it as a good chance, but far from certain.

Overall i've heard pretty good things about the Roosevelt. It's a 'historic' city hotel so i'd expect a traditionally nice lobby with small(ish) rooms. From what i can gather it generally represents a good value, although i have a friend that stayed there and had a minor service issue (i forget the issue, but it wasn't too big of a deal).

You may want to consider bidding on Priceline, knowing that your top bid is less than $118/nite, or book a cancellable back up in the meantime while you bid on Priceline (if you'd like a bidding strategy just ask). Keep in mind that this $118/nite in MTE could be pulled at any time, so if it seems to be a viable option for you, i wouldn't be waiting too long to see what else comes up, i'd start bidding on Priceline, give it a few shots over a week or so, and then make a decision. If it's not a vialbe option for you, book someting cancellable in the meantime so you at least you know you'll have someplace to sleep.

Hope this sheds some light, feel free to ask any more questions. I live just outside NYC so it's an area i have an opinion about.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, the Roosevelt would definitely be a good option (it's on the marathon list @ $210/nt). I know nothing is guaranteed, but a bidding strategy would definitely be appreciated. Would the strategy be targeted to this hotel? Or should I start with MTC first, for example, knowing that I could eventually "settle" for MTE? Even if it weren't the Roosevelt, how bad could a 3.5 star hotel in NYC be? What are the chances that MTE would put me all the way over by the UN (nice area, but not as convenient)? Thanks!

BTW, I didn't go to Michigan, but I'm a huge fan! Arguably the best college fight song.

BTW, I didn't go to Michigan, but I'm a huge fan!  Arguably the best college fight song.

Flattery will get you everywhere!

Bidding strategies are usually put in order of lowest accepted bid zones, so that when adding a new zone and raising a bid, it doesn't result in an overbid of the original zone (and also gives you a chance at acceptance at both zones). However, i can try to adjust this if you have a zone that you really prefer; but you'd then have to list your prefered zones along with the maximum price you woudl want to spend in each zone. As well, you may prefer MTC and be willing to spend $150 in that area, but would you want to spend that much before having a chance at $90 in MTE? Maybe you'd prefer up to $125 in MTC, then want to try up to $90 in MTE, then be willing to go up to $150 for MTC. It can get really confusing if you do this, but supply all of the information as to your 'wants' and i'll try to adjust accordingly. Generally speaking, the order would be MTE, MTW, MTC... but i'll put together a more specific strategy if you comment on your zone/price preference.

As for the 3.5* hotel (via Hotwire) they may or may not be the Sheraton Russel, how bad can it be? It depends how picky you are... some people are happy with Travelodge that's clean, others complain and won't return to a 4* hotel because they don't offer turndown service twice per day.

No way to guarantee you won't end up in the UN area when bidding MTE. When bidding any zone, you can get a hotel anywhere in the shaded boundry that Priceline designates.

Thanks, thereuare. I was just reviewing the PL zones and noticed that there is no MTC. It looks like their MTW is similar to MTC on Hotwire. So, based on the PL zones, here are my preferences: MTW, MTS, MTE and UMCPS (since that's near the finish line). Generally, I'd like to stay at or under $100/nt. If we can get 4* at that price it's a no-brainer. Any of the 3* hotels listed on this web site would also be acceptable at $100. We're not that picky, but a private bath is a must (and it looks like all the ones listed have that). If we had to try 4*, then I'd say we could bump it to $125/nt for 4* and up (I know I'm pushing it, but what the heck). I get the feeling that I'm not telling you enough info, but it's kind of hard, because I don't really know what's available (dang newbie syndrome). I feel like a deer in the headlights. How should I bid? We're not too greedy. If you recommend that I should go for that 3.5* MTE first, because in you experience that's a great deal, then we'll try it. Especially if it or something like it can be had for well under $100. I'd rather lock it in now and not sweat it, because like you said, I can make cancellable reservations elsewhere. Thanks!

The Sheraton Russell is a well-thought-of property, amongst Sheraton (Starwood) frequent stayers. Plus, it is located at Park and 37th - from there to the NY Public Library, it's only two long blocks (Park to Madison to 5th Ave) then about 4 short blocks north to the entrance to the Library at 41st street, where the statues of the lions are (in Manhattan, the north-south city blocks are quite short, while the east-west city blocks are longer).

Hope your wife's training is going well. One of my co-workers just did his first marathon.

Thereuare - speaking of the Victors, have you checked some of the Wolverine message boards for ND tix? Just in case, here's one:

http://michigan.rivals.com/forum.asp?style...883&fid=42&pid=

Thanks, WDR. I have stayed at the Sheraton Russell in the past (twice), so I know it well (kinda). I also remember that their staff was excellent and that neighborhood seemed to be relatively quiet (by NYC standards) on the weekends.

My wife's training is going well. I never appreciated how hard a marathon is until my wife ran Boston (that's where we're live). Now I have utmost respect for all marathoners. Come to think of it, I wonder if I'll be able to treat her to a stay at the Waldorf? She deserves it. :)

I was just reviewing the PL zones and noticed that there is no MTC.

My mistake, change MTC to UM/CPS.

This is how i would bid:

4* MTE

Bid $75, if rejected add

MTW and bid $88, if rejected add

MTS and bid $95, if rejected add

UM/CPS and bid $98, if rejected add

the one re-bid zone and bid $100 (if you're usnure of the re-bid zone, feel free to post/PM to confirm it)

Try the above and if unsuccessful i'll post a 3* strategy afterwards.

I'd probably try this tonite, if unsuccessful try the subesequent 3*, if that's unsuccessful i'd give it 4-5 days and try the whole cycle again. If that's unsuccessful, i'd see if the 3.5* is still available via Hotwire (keep in mind the 3.5* is NOT likely the Sheratonn Russel since that is out of the MTE zone) I'd sooner try the above strategy before going with Hotwire because Priceline is usually cheaper.

If something above doesn't look right, feel free to ask a question on my logic.

Thanks in advance for starting your bid at SavingsBarn.com

Sorry to hear that, hopefully we'll have better luck with this....

(note the change in zone order from above)

3* MTS bid $70, if rejected...

add MTW and bid $75, if rejected...

add MTE and bid $85, if rejected...

add CPS and bid $90, if rejected...

add re-bid zone and bid $100.

This one is a little harder to forumlate since we don't have nearly as many 3* results as we do 4*, but i think the above approach is sound.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

#$*@#*

Don't get discouraged... still plenty of time!

Have you booked a cancellable back-up yet? I recommend you do as it will put just a little less pressure on you when you bid and it assures you that you'll have someplace to sleep.

In the letters the NY Marathon sends out, what date do they say you should book your hotel by (if booking thru them at an 'official' marathon hotel)?

According to the marathon's web site, we have until 10/1 to submit reservations for the "Headquarter" hotels (Hilton@$265 and Sheraton@$255). Here's the Link to their hotel page. The list also includes "official" discount hotels. All of the rates require at least a two night stay.

I'm in the process of searching for a cancellable backup. For this search, I'll probable use my corporate travel agent's web site for corporate rates and the internet. The cancellable reservation will likely be at a 2* or lower due to the budget limitations, but that's OK. Maybe we'll only book for Friday and Saturday nights, and make the drive back to Boston on Sunday night.

Worse comes to worse, we can stay with a friend in Brooklyn. The only drawback here is that the train runs past his back yard. Unfortunately, my wife is a light sleeper. Otherwise, this would have been our plan. If we had to go this route, then I suppose we could get a room for just the night before the marathon. But at least we won't be stranded.

I would continue to try to bid this, but additional access to inventory may not open up to Priceline/Hotwire until after Oct. 1 (but i would still be trying before then).

Also, as somebody that doesn't like to drive long distances you can take the 'Chinatown Bus' from Boston to NYC for $20/RT (Chinatown Bus). I also heard that Greyhound/Peter Pan has just lowered their prices to ~$40/RT in response to the Chinatown Bus. Taking the Chinatown bus may actually cost you less than driving yourself!

Also, when you re-bid i would stick with the 4* strategy above, but if you're willing to go to $110, i would change the 3* strategy as follows (if you dont' want to go up to $110, just stick with the 3* strategy mentioned earlier):

3* MTS bid $80, if rejected...

add MTW and bid $85, if rejected...

add MTE and bid $95, if rejected...

add CPS and bid $100, if rejected...

add re-bid zone and bid $110.

My thought is that if Hotwire is offering (what we suspect is) the Roosevelt for $118, there is a chance that Priceline would have it for about $110. The Roosevelt is rated 3* by Priceline.

Even if you continue to get rejections from Priceline, the process is not futile since you also have the chance to get a counter-offer (where Priceline tells you that you can bid again immediately without changing anything if you raise your bid by $xx amount). A counter-offer will give us additional insight as to what might currently be the 'right' price. A link on Counter Offers.

Sorry to be so vague, and I can't find the post now, but a few days ago someone on FlyerTalk praised the LaQuinta hotel in NYC as being clean and a good value with a king bed, and with a price of $109 booked directly. If you are thinking of a 2* hotel anyway, you might want to look into that. I don't have any idea if it's a good location or not.

If your 4* and 3* strategies don't work out, I would strongly recommend considering bidding 2.5* in MTE. The only hotel that I've seen come up in this category, and it comes up often, is the Courtyard by Marriott. I've heard nothing but good things about the place, including from a group of relatives I sent up there earlier this year through PL. The successful bid range appears to be $65-80. Given that Marriott.com is currently showing a rate of $239 for your dates, I would suggest a bid of $75-77.

OK, tried rebidding again. I decided to fo up a little bit on each of the 4* and 3* strategies. Here's what I did.

4*MTE $85 - rejected

added MTW $95 - rejected

added MTS $105 - rejected

added UM/CPS $115 - rejected

added rebid zone $120 - rejected (don't ask me why I didn't just bid $125)

No 4*, no problem. So I tried the 3* strategy to $110 as you described above and all were rejected. Just to repeat it, this is what I did.

3* MTS $80 - rejected

added MTW $85 - rejected

added MTE $95 - rejected

added UM/CPS $100 - rejected

added rebid zone $110 - rejected

At no point did I receive a counter offer. Maybe I should just grab the 3.5* room on Hotwire for $118 and call it quits. Any recommendations? If not, I'll just do it all again in a few days. If I bid on a 2* or 2.5*, then should I definitely stay below $100? I'm fine with the Courtyard.

I'm also considering "cancellable" options. Anyone have any feedback on the following hotels? The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca, Gershwin Hotel in the Flatiron District, West Park Hotel on Columbus Circle, Comfort Inn on W36th and the Tribeca Grand Hotel in SoHo? All are available through my corporate travel agent for between $119 and $139 per night.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe I should just grab the 3.5* room on Hotwire for $118 and call it quits. Any recommendations? If not, I'll just do it all again in a few days. If I bid on a 2* or 2.5*, then should I definitely stay below $100? I'm fine with the Courtyard.

How frustrated/nervous are you getting? That's just one question to help determine if you should just take the Hotwire 3.5*.

Other questions:

If you go with 2.5* in MTE, would you only stick to MTE or would you try other zones for 2.5* (btw, if you do try this, the UWS would NO LONGER be a re-bid zone, so don't make that mistake!)

Would you prefer a 2.5* at (let's say) $80 or a 3.5* at $118?

Personally, i would not bid 2* in a major metropolitan city... too much potentail disappointment and very poor quality.

I'd do something soon, either secure a non-refundable hotel or reserve a cancellable back-up. I wouldn't ponder too long on the cancellable back-up as i suspect that you ultimately end up canceling it. I'd stay away from the Soho/Tribeca hotels just due to location.

If you "think aloud" i'm sure others will have additional feedback as well.

I would agree to nix 2* for NYC. As to 2.5*, I would suggest shooting for the Courtyard with a new bid for 2.5* MTE asap at $75, then $80 adding UM/CPS. I've seen successes at $77 for Courtyard when their web rate is higher than it is now, so I wouldn't go over $80 at the moment. Although PL has them at 2.5, they're a AAA & Mobil 3*.

If it were me, I would not go beyond MTE for 2.5*. Although, I have seen a couple of good 2.5's come up in MTS (along with one major dud - so a risk), and the Franklin, the only 2.5* I've seen reported in UES is nice, but not convenient for you.

It's still quite early. You have plenty of time to keep bidding after getting your backup.

As to 2.5*, I would suggest shooting for the Courtyard with a new bid for 2.5* MTE asap at $75, then $80 adding UM/CPS.

TravelGuy, good strategy!

Just to explain this further for anyone following along, the UM/CPS zone would not normally be a free re-bid zone. Although it has no 2.5* hotels, it does have 3* and 4* hotels, so technically one could get upgraded to a higher rated hotel when adding this zone to a 2.5* bid. However, at this point in time we know (from jscout's prior rejected bids) that no 3* hotels have accepted bids at these levels, so the possibility of an upgrade is therefore eliminated.

If this 2.5* bid is placed a few weeks from now (without going thru the above 3* bidding once again), a 3* hotel in the UM/CPS zone that would accept a $75 bid could have been added, and i think that's the reason why TravelGuy suggested doing this 'asap'.

Hope that clarified rather than confused. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]