Priceline Hotel: 4* Kauai (Kapaa - Lihue Area) Jan 10

cdn_travel_guy
By cdn_travel_guy,
in

Used your PRICELINE link and Priceline is coming back with a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for a 4* with the following guaranteed amenities for $199/night. Similar rooms at $258.

Dates were Jan 10 - 13, 2013

Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher)

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Free Parking

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Condo

I looked at some of the previous 4* wins in Kauai and saw the Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa which is what I think is the above hotel. Could it be the Marriott?

This is the hotel I would be comfortable with but noticed when I go to their website direct they actually have standard hotel rooms for around $150 a night. Does the Condo amenity ensure that the type of room has a kitchen and it is not just the hotel that is a Condo? The last thing I want to do is win this hotel and get a standard hotel room which I could have gotten directly for $49 cheaper.

If it is the Outrigger is there any way to ensure that we are not given a standard room in a Condo hotel? From the rooms it looks like a huge difference between room types.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

If it says condo in the amenity set then there's no way they can give you one of the hotel rooms. There are very few hotel rooms at the Waipouli, the vast majority of units are 1 and 2 bedroom condos. You should be aware that the lower end condos at the Waipouli face a fairly busy road. Let me know if you have any questions as I've stayed at this resort before.

Thanks Chrispee. After doing the online chat on the Priceline site just now they really didn't rule out the fact that you could get the standard room even though it does say 'Condo'. They did say that they would provide the refund, etc. for the lower price found. However I would have to go through the nonsense of getting the refund if I was given a standard room. A bit of a pain but for the price I'm fairly certain it would be a 1 bedroom at least and not the standard room. I guess if I book it the first thing I would do is find out the room rather than wait till I arrive and then try to sort things out.

Based on your opinion would you guess this is the Waipouli based on the amenities?

It seems like a nice resort. You mentioned you stayed here before, would you stay there again or is there a different resort you would prefer for the price?

thanks.

I loved the Waipouli Beach Resort itself, but haven't chosen to stay their again mostly due to its location. It's centrally located for day trips, but the beach out front is not particularly swimming friendly. If you really value having a condo, and you enjoy hanging by the pool rather than the beach then you will likely love the Waipouli. If you prefer the beach and want to stay at your resort for a fair amount of time I'd try to get either the Sheraton or the Hyatt in Poipu (likely for $50 bucks less per night if you're bidding). Here are the pros and cons for the Waipouli for me:

Pros - Beautifully finished condos, lots of sq ft, full high-end kitchen, shared bbqs, very nice resort grounds and pool, conveniently located.

Cons - Located on a busy road, cheap condos (i.e. priceline condos) likely face the parking lot and road, beach out front is not good for swimming.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, we go to Kauai frequently! I'm pretty sure the property mentioned is the Waipouli since I don't know of any other 4* condos in the area, but I'm not positive of course.

We will be flying in late afternoon and will most likely be spending the next 2 full days trying to explore as much of the island as possible. We will either rent a car or do local operated tours that hopefully will pick us up. I doubt we will spend too much time during the day using the pool or sitting on the beach as we will have time for that on the other islands. From your description a centrally located hotel with a nice room is probably perfect for us. However I will certainly consider the Sheraton and/or the Hyatt but from your description I think the Outrigger may be a good fit.

You mentioned the busy road, if we are given a room facing the road are the cars going by loud enough to be a factor when sleeping at night?

Once again thanks for your help.

You're very welcome, it sounds like the Waipouli would be a good fit for you. I don't know just how much traffic noise gets in to the road facing condos as we were on the other side of the building. I assume it's pretty quiet with the doors and windows closed as it's a well-constructed building. There is central air, so you'll be able to leave the windows closed at night. Going against the grain of the forum, I'd check out vrbo.com too just to see if you could get an ocean view direct from an owner for a similar price.

Just in case you haven't already noticed, there is a 4* condo in Princeville (almost certainly the Westin Princeville) for your dates listed at $175 per night.

Good luck with your decision!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]