bidding for nonstop flights TPA to ORD (Chicago)

cllvgm
By cllvgm,
in

I want to see if I can get two rt tickets Tampa to Chicago (preferably O'Hare) to attend a memorial service this weekend. It's a last minute thing and if I can't get round trip nonstop tickets at a discount of the going rate, I'm feeling like I won't go. Most tickets are now around $609.00 rt. Do you think there's any chance I could get a 50% discount or is that just too unrealistic? I really don't want to pay more than $300 including fees and would prefer to pay even less given it's such a last minute thing and I'm getting less enthusiastic about going as the time passes.

I have found all the nonstop flights for these dates. I have studied the Priceline bidding thread and understand about how to place multiple bids and also about how to discern nonstop flights based on the difference in fees.

I think a nonstop flight would end up costing more on PL NYOP than a flight with stops since their current prices are more with some exceptions. Is that a correct assumption? The price difference between the nonstop and one stop flights is about $150 -$175.

I'm wondering if someone could help me with a strategy/plan/advice that would ensure bidding or accepting a counter offer for the nonstop flights if that's even possible. I think I understand about the amount of fees added to the ticket price in order to discern whether it's a nonstop flight or not.

I also notice that there are a few nonstop flights with first class seats available only. I don't think you ever get those with NYOP, but would be curious to know if it has happened. I'm assuming the prices for those would be considerably higher. What about the day before?

What happens to the seats the day before the flight (for my case it would be tomorrow). At this late date and willingness to forgo the trip if I don't get a nonstop, would I be better off to wait until the day before (that's tomorrow)?

Here are the prices (including taxes and fees) of all the nonstop rt flights TPA to Chicago O'Hare with 2 seats availabe departing on Oct.19 as of today October 17. I'm surprised at how many nonstop flights there are out of Tampa. They all fly at very decent hours and I'd be thrilled to get tickets for any of them:

US Air $609.90

United $609.90

United $616.90

AA $616.90

United $616.90

AA $616.90

AA $833.60

United $1028.60

US Air $1741.90

Thanks so much for any advice. I will for sure use the link to PRICELINE found on this website. If I don't meet my goal this time I will look forward to becoming a more experienced bidder and future trips.

Unless you're given a counter-offer there is no way to ensure a non-stop flight (even then you do so at your own risk)

You would need your first bid to be absurdly low so as to ensure that you don't get accepted and hope that you receive a counter-offer. However, i'll add that discounts on airfare are usually not discounted 50% or more in the current airfare environment (where capacity has been removed from the system and there are fewer and fewer empty seats on planes)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]