Priceline Hotel: 3* - 4* downtown Philadelphia, Sept 21-22 - no luck

Frank Wilder
By Frank Wilder,
in

This is my 6th day of not being successful using Priceline (this never happens). As of last night, I have made 32 offers since 9/6.

I started on 4* hotels with a max of $96. The last two days, I have been including 3* hotels, with a max of $81, but making fewer bids due to the fact that it is harder to do free re-bids (there are only a few areas with 4* hotels, but a lot more areas around Philly have 3* hotels -- we want to stay somewhere in center-city)

From my research on some of the hotel sites for downtown hotels, the room prices are a lot cheaper this weekend (Sept. 14-16) , but higher for the next two weekends (Sept 21-23 & 28-30). As an example, the Hyatt Penn is $129 this weekend, and $229 the next two weekends. This makes sense to me: I am guessing occupancy rates are a little low for this weekend and they are trying to fill rooms.

Is there some kind of big event going on over Sept 21-22 that would suggest that hotel occupancy rates are higher than normal? Where does one check for such information?

I will try again tonight.

I'm repeating myself, but you can likely score a hotel for this night at a cheaper rate than you are bidding. If you look at LMTClub.com (join with code FBFREE12), then you could get the Radisson Warwick for $81. Some hotels are Available, and some On Request (you can't be sure for a day or two while the request is worked on), but the Radisson Warwick is available. Other hotels that cost less than $96 are also available.

That said, a couple weeks ago, I got the Marriott Downtown for $70 on Priceline, on a date when rates were very high, so you might succeed eventually by bidding.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There are a few conferences over these dates but i'm not sure how big/small they are:

09/20 - 09/21 Shale Gas Insight 2012

09/21 - 09/22 Wells Fargo Home Mortgage

09/22 AVON Come Home for the Holidays

However, with so many colleges/universities in the area it could also be home coming, parent's weekend, etc. at one or more of them. It doesn't matter what is causing the higher rates, only that you recognize that rates (ie- demand) is higher than usual for your dates and act accordingly.

Does the Radisson for $81/nite work for your needs?

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future bidding, searches and travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't believe this code is not valid anymore. I am getting a "This is not a valid promo code" on the lmtclub.com Become a Member form. I will see if I can find another one.

New code is : FBFREECLUB12

Thanks for the info at lmtClub. We put in a booking request at lmtClub for the Radisson at $81/night, and we are waiting on the confirmation.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]