Priceline Hotel: Cancun Area Bidding Suggestions?

Otter7
By Otter7,
in

My first post here , and I have never successfully bid at Priceline or at all at Hotwire.

My wife and I are going to the Yucatan Pennisula Aug 20 - August 29. We wish to snorkle, travel to some of the interior and see the sinkholes, and spend a weekend at a nice beach in a city with some nightlife. This would seem to be Cancun, which is where we land and takeoff from anyway. We have found that Cancun bids at Priceline seem to lump together the city and beach area. When checking prices we find the city to be much cheaper than the beach. It would seem one would almost always end up in town for the money. Can someone suggest how we might get a decent hotel? We aren't really resort fanatics, we just want a clean place to stay close to the entertainment and water, but if a fantastic resort is only a little more, then of course we would do it...

We are budgeting around $50/night for our time in Cancun, but I read about people getting top end resorts in Cancun for $70, which is very tempting. Not sure how much we would make use of the perks in a resort, we are usually the types to go for more natural and native type of accomodation. In Merida, we are expecting $35 with air. Outside these cities, we have been told a decent room with air runs around $20. We are still deciding how long to stay in Cancun, it will depend on the rates we get there more than anything else.

Okay, we have found a very nice room in a house in oldtown Merida Aug 20 - 24 (arr - dep), so we are covered there.

We have decided to stay in Cancun or further south Aug 24 - Aug 30(arr - dep). Our first thought is to stay on the beach in Cancun or nearby. We have a rental car, but there will be at least one night when I am sure it would be unwise to drive, so public transit or walking distance to entertainment will be a consideration.

As I said, we like the beach, and usually prefer a friendly, clean place with a local touch (and local prices). We won't have much need for a place with in house drycleaning, room service and expensive american style restaurants, but we would still consider a resort hotel if we got an unbelievable deal, just for the nice room and location.

Where to begin?

Where to begin?

Look at the Priceline and Hotwire maps and see which area(s) you are willing to accept... you're hotel can be anywhere in the shaded region. If the Priceline zones are too large (ie-away from the beach) than Hotwire might be a better option since you will know ahead of time, thru their amenity icons, if the hotel is Beachfront or Beach Access.

Let us know the zone(s) you can accept, and on Hotwire, the star rating and amenties associated with any properties that seem to meet your criteria.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay, went to Hotwire and Priceline. I see that Hotwire sets a price whereas Priceline let's you name a price. Hotwire was too high. Is there still a reason to use Hotwire in some other way?

We found a four star in town for $54 (the Radisson). We would need to pay less than this to get a hotel through Priceline because we lose the ability to get a refund and choose our hotel with Priceline.

We also found a nice 4 star (Posada) on Isle del Mare for $44. This further makes us want to limit the price we would bid on a 4 star.

And our greatest concern with a bid on a 4 star is this. We saw one 4 star (Solymar) on the beach in Cancun that had horrid reviews. We want to avoid that one. It was listed at $60. How do we protect ourselves from getting a hotel that has the star rating but appears not to deserve it?

There are no 5 stars in town, so we would be guarenteed of getting a beach hotel if we bid at the 5 star level, but we are not really willing to pay much more than the $54 we would get in town.

So now, we have the price ranges we are willing to accept for the areas we have looked at.

$60 for a 5 star in Cancun.

$40 for a 4 star in Cancun.

Am I approaching this in the right manner?

Yes, you're approaching this in the right manner, but...

Priceline does offer 5* bidding in the Cancun area, so there is a 5* property (at least according to Priceline's standards) in the area.

Priceline will add a fee onto their reservation, which is combined with the taxes showns, this amounts to approximately $5/day... so you have to take this into considering when setting your bid amount.

Given your criteria/needs, and the rates you have found at hotels that meet your needs, do you think that bidding is worth it? Do you want to risk getting something that you don't want in hopes of saving $10/nite?

We can certainly advise you of a strategy to follow if you choose to move forward, but you need to make sure that you're comfortable with the 'conditions of use'; the opaque providers are great for those who like to save money and are flexible in their plans, i'm not 100% certain you're that flexible (which is fine, i just don't want you to ultimately be disappointed).

I would also check EasyClickTravel which has a few properties on the beach and within your price range as well. If you do book the Radisson direct please use OUR LINK to do so.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]