Rental Car Timing

nmead
By nmead,
in

I'll be in Maryland (BWI) during Thanksgiving, 11/19-11/28, and will want to get a compact or mid-sized car. I am unsure as to whether I'll fare better by bidding on a deal early now, or waiting to see what rental companies offer in the way of specials. Are holidays typically more expensive if you wait? Or might I be missing out on a good offer if I buy now? Thanks for any and all advice.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your stay... it all depends how actual demand and cancellations come in relative to expectations. HOWEVER, given this is over the Thanksgiving holiday when a lot of people go on trips to visit family, i would think this rental period would be higher demand than usual.

Using our Car Rental Checker what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels? (both rate per day and 'all-in' including taxes/fees)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've had good luck bidding early for dates that may be busy for rental cars. Last year I won a $45/day SUV out of Denver on Priceline for 5 days bidding in October 2011 for a trip over Spring Break in late February 2012. The best online retail deal never got below $100/day for the same rental. If you have time, I suggest getting some bids in now to see what you might snag.

I'm not concerned so much about the daily rate as I am the total for the entire trip.

Understood, but with taxes/fees sometimes accounting for nearly half of the total cost, knowing the daily rate helps us evaluate alternatives without needing to click thru each one to see the total all-in rate. ;)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]